IGNORED

Cake decorating - or lack thereof

cjsmom

0012.jpg?w=1014

It's a giant cupcake pan, decorated to look like a bigarse cupcake. Or not. Yes, that's the normal amount of crap that resides on my kitchen table in the background. I have a cupcake cult, so this was to be the next adventure in cupcaking. It tasted damn good though - you can see I used my $40/bottle vanilla bean paste instead of Costco vanilla extract, with the flecks in the icing.

That looks way better than what I could do! Glad it tastes good that is always important.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks better than anything I could have come up, as in my mom's side of the family, we joke about a cake jinx that started when someone's wedding cake fell on them as they were cutting it.

for my first son I had a "Build-a-bear" cake pan... bake 2 sides and squish them together and you have an adorable bear sitting on a stand.... well I ended up with a bear with the head that fell off (no way to get it to stick back on) and so much icing in the middle that it started to settle and the sides came apart with a ton of drying frosting in the middle ... the thing looked like it had been sliced through the middle with a sword, after having it's head chopped off.... happy 1 year?? after that I just stick to my round cake pans and a knife for the frosting... nothing complicated this year was birthday 4 and I just stuck Hershey kisses around the out side... simple and plenty of chocolate. ... sigh off to cry about the horrid cake I made for the first birthday again :P

for my first son I had a "Build-a-bear" cake pan... bake 2 sides and squish them together and you have an adorable bear sitting on a stand.... well I ended up with a bear with the head that fell off (no way to get it to stick back on) and so much icing in the middle that it started to settle and the sides came apart with a ton of drying frosting in the middle ... the thing looked like it had been sliced through the middle with a sword, after having it's head chopped off.... happy 1 year?? after that I just stick to my round cake pans and a knife for the frosting... nothing complicated this year was birthday 4 and I just stuck Hershey kisses around the out side... simple and plenty of chocolate. ... sigh off to cry about the horrid cake I made for the first birthday again :P

Oh, you poor thing! Round cake pans are so the way to go. No more crying - that cake was made with love!

Honestly, that looks fine. As long as you don't drop it on the floor!

Oh, you poor thing! Round cake pans are so the way to go. No more crying - that cake was made with love!

Thanks I tried... my husband even offered to just go out and buy something, we had family coming in a few short hours so I was just in quite a state... ended up making a round one then too. the next time I used the bear pan I just placed 2 half bears on separate plates and slapped some frosting on top :P much easier.

• 3 months later...

this year for kid 2 second birthday I made Death by chocolate brownies... stuck a candle in a nice small piece for the kid and called it good... no messing up cake this year.

This thread reminded me that cakewrecks.com exists and *poof* that was the evening gone. Your cupcake looks great, IMO. I think you'd be heartened to compare it to some of the 'wrecks'.

My mother and I took a fondant class at a bakery and afterwards decided that we were going to make a friends wedding cake as a gift. Luckily, we gave it a test run and it was horrible!!! The fondant was cracking and fell apart, there were chunks of gelatin that didn't get mixed in well enough, it was bad. We were able to cover the cake and as we were admiring our handiwork and laughing our butts off, my brother grabbed a tube of frosting and wrote on top "F*ck this s"it" haha

I think your cupcake looks great. Is it red velvet???? Yummmmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a friend who with her mother took a Wilton cake decorating course. They thought it would be a fun mother/daughter activity...but it ended up being a highly regimented militaristic class where things HAD to be done the WILTON WAY. They ended up dropping it and have been happy with sloppy yet tasty cakes since.

I used to have a penis cake pan and it was sort of my job to make the bachelorette party cakes for my circle of girlfriends. I eventually got pretty good...I figured out how to make a flesh colored frosting, used red velvet cake and then even mastered filling the cake with cream lol. For pubic hair I shaved chocolate curly-cues. I was told my cake was becoming much too lifelike for enjoyment :lol:

...and now we have a plan in place for dessert on our next Chicago-FJ get together!;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wish I could decorate like that! You're definitely talented!

That diaper cake is awesome :D

Lol thanks but it bugged the mess out of me. My icing was sliding everywhere ><

Archived