IGNORED

Man convicted of what fundies do all the time!!!

gustava

I wish there was more information than just a few lines.

If the picture where he is standing is where he and his family lived, it doesn't LOOK impoverished or "squalorish."

I'm wondering where in the law it's illegal to not have a birth certificate. Is it?

You certainly don't need an SSN until you get your first job. Most people do for their kids though, so they can claim them as a deduction on their income taxes.

I'd like more info and as usual, the press is light on it.

I wish there was more information than just a few lines.

If the picture where he is standing is where he and his family lived, it doesn't LOOK impoverished or "squalorish."

I'm wondering where in the law it's illegal to not have a birth certificate. Is it?

You certainly don't need an SSN until you get your first job. Most people do for their kids though, so they can claim them as a deduction on their income taxes.

I'd like more info and as usual, the press is light on it.

There you go:

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_22718516 ... ost_viewed

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_22709949/fa ... y-at-trial

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

(links not broken since they're all leading to news-sites)

Thanks for the links.

Sigh. Such a shame that the girl felt so bad about being the oldest in her class because she hadn't been given an adequate education.

And a child was born while the mom was in prison for the neglect of her others.

Sad.

They are in PA which has stricter home schooling laws so that probably part of why "our" fundies don't get the same treatment.

I'm sure there is racism at play here, but the home was squalid:

The building at 734 S. Duke St. was condemned July 3, 2009, by York City fire officials, who deemed it unfit for human habitation, Ward testified.

He later determined water and electric service to the home were shut off in 2003 and that gas service was shut off gas service in 1998. All those utilities were in Johnson's name, with 734 S. Duke St. listed as his address, the detective said.

In PA, a house is automatically condemned if the water is shut off because you cannot flush the toilets without water, and that's how disease is made. These kids were living in a home with no toilets for 6 years! They were living without heat for 11 years. In Pennsylvania. Where the temperatures hover around or below freezing for at least 4 months of the year.

If that's not neglect, I don't know what is.

I'm sure there is racism at play here, but the home was squalid:

In PA, a house is automatically condemned if the water is shut off because you cannot flush the toilets without water, and that's how disease is made. These kids were living in a home with no toilets for 6 years! They were living without heat for 11 years. In Pennsylvania. Where the temperatures hover around or below freezing for at least 4 months of the year.

If that's not neglect, I don't know what is.

I don't think it's much worse than living in a pop-up, which Esther is not doing now. And isn't a Pearl daughter living without much? I think if we made a list of our own fundies who live in similar fashion, it would be a long one.

That is not to excuse this man, however.

Other articles say the mom/wife ran away in 1993 at age 14 and was legally declared dead a decade later when her family divided up a grandmothers estate. Her husband, this guy, was her uncle through marriage. Very odd. It also said the mom and kids had spent 7 yrs at a women's shelter.

Archived