IGNORED

Lori Alexander: Women Treated Better than Jews and Blacks

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/03/yay-women-can-drink-smoke-and-fight.html

America was founded upon biblical principles. Women were valued. Just because they couldn't drink, smoke, or vote doesn't mean they weren't valued. Slaves were not valued. Jews during Hitler's time were not valued. I never remember reading in America's history where women were allowed to be beaten with whips, sold as slaves, put into concentration camps, separated from their families, etc. That is what true inequality looks like. Women were never treated like animals as the blacks and Jews were in the past.

So all these "rights" the women supposedly have gained seemed to have harmed women more than helped them. Feminism hasn't made women more feminine. It has made them less feminine. Babies are being murdered in the womb, mothers are being taken away from their children for many hours a day, mothers are having to be submissive to men {their bosses} who aren't their husbands, husbands are lonely, divorce is rampant, and "free" sex isn't so free after all.

This is giving me an outrage-fueled version of brain freeze. Lori, if you haven't read about American women being treated this way, then YOU AREN'T READING ENOUGH FUCKING BOOKS.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because there are no black or Jewish women...

"Those People" aren't women, I guess. :?

I thought this part was very WTF

I never remember reading in America's history where women were allowed to be beaten with whips, sold as slaves, put into concentration camps, separated from their families, etc. That is what true inequality looks like. Women were never treated like animals as the blacks and Jews were in the past.

Uggh, Lori women were slaves in the past. In the South, some female slaves were sometimes re-sold and separated from their families. Alex Haley covered this quite a bit in Roots. Sometimes female teenage slaves were taken away from their parents and sold. In parts of the US which were apart of the Spanish Empire, it was common for Spanish and Mestizo settlers to enslave Native Americans both men and women from Pueblo tribes, Acoma, Navajo etc.

Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say.

Wtf is with this argument fundies keep spouting about women being submissive to their male bosses so they might as well be submissive at home to their husbands? Aside from the obvious fact that she is assuming bosses are male, should we start using that argument to show that men should be submissive to their wives since they are submissive to their bosses anyway?

Right, she means white women of course.

Black and Jewish women just don't count to her. In the 1700's England, couldn't loose women could be whipped and sent to prison? When I read Tom Jones:History of a Foundling I was surprised when one of the female character said another woman should be stripped, whipped and sent to Bridewell for having an illegitimate baby

http://ukfamilyrecords.com/Blog/?p=746

http://www.dover.lib.nh.us/DoverHistory ... rwomen.htm

I found the above link but I don't know if it is accurate

"

To the constables of Dover, Hampton, Salisbury, Newbury, Rowley, Ipswich, Wenham, Linn, Boston, Roxbury, Dedham, and until these vagabond Quakers are carried out of this jurisdiction, you, and every one of you are required in the name of the King's Majesty's name, to take these vagabond Quakers, Ann Coleman, Mary Tompkins, and Alice Ambrose, and make them fast to the cart's tail, and driving the cart through your several towns, to whip their naked backs, not exceeding ten stripes apiece on each of them, in each town; and so to convey them from constable to constable, till they are out of this jurisdiction". Walderne's punishment was severe, calling for whippings in at least eleven towns, and requiring travel over eighty miles in bitterly cold weather.

http://history.powys.org.uk/history/common/women1.html

The punishment of a public whipping was frequently administered to women who were found guilty of certain offences, as well as to men.

The order that those who are to be whipped should be "stript to the waist" before being flogged, which is often included in the records of the Quarter Sessions, would also apply to women, as in the example shown below.

http://brattleborohistory.com/people/abigail-white.html

Last woman whipped in Vermont was Abigail White

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK.

We, the United States of America, rounded up all the Asian looking people in the 1940s and put them in concentration ("internment") camps in the American west because the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I am heading over to Lori's blog to let her know that she has a hole in her history and her head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_A ... internment

Ditto to everyone above,

Women are not a separate category from Blacks or Jews.

Instead, sexism and racism/anti-semitism combined to create unique hardships. Female slaves were raped. Mothers were separated from children. In concentration camps, pregnant women or mothers of small children were often killed first. Immigrant women working in sweatshops were underpaid and faced dangerous working conditions (just look at the list of victims of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire). Black women always worked.

Being a stay at home mother was a privilege available to only middle-class white women.

Legally, there were similarities between the status of women and the status of slaves. The husband was the legal owner of the wife's property and income, as the owner was with respect to anything that the slave produced. Both could be physically disciplined, although more severe punishment was permitted for slaves. Neither could vote, and neither was considered a "person" under the law.

The only point I'll grant Lori is that there is a difference between patriarchy and genocide. There was no plot to eliminate women entirely - just to ensure that they were under the control of men.

Even if all that were true, so fucking what? This isn't the oppression olympics. All people are deserving of truly equal rights, regardless of race, religion, or sex. If you have experiences that were not quite as bad as another person's, that should be cause for a little self-reflection but it doesn't mean you have to STFU and take it.

This is giving me an outrage-fueled version of brain freeze. Lori, if you haven't read about American women being treated this way, then YOU AREN'T READING ENOUGH FUCKING BOOKS.

I recommended Revolutionary Heart: The Life of Clarina Nichols and the Pioneering Crusade for Women's Rights in her comments. I'm sure it will never show up , but it does give a good view of how few rights women had throughout the 1800s. (ie, a woman with property marries, her husband dies-- she inherits a percentage of her own property from him, the rest goes to any children he may have already had... NOT how it worked if he brough property into the marriage and she died..... )

Of course it won't show up. That book promotes an "Ungodly Worldview." Whatever that means.

Of course it won't show up. That book promotes an "Ungodly Worldview." Whatever that means.

Plus, I think I pissed them off with my first post there when I suggested they just define themselves as BDSM and come out of the closet about it, because wrapping it in God wasn't fooling anyone. Etc. ;)

So far she has no comments put up. She probably won't publish comments that would correct her on historical subjects. But I think some of her fangirls were shocked by that posting and haven't replied or they have, but Lori isn't posting their comments.

So far she has no comments put up. She probably won't publish comments that would correct her on historical subjects. But I think some of her fangirls were shocked by that posting and haven't replied or they have, but Lori isn't posting their comments.

Yeah, mine's not up. I talked about WWII internment camps and could not help but end with "We're in trouble whenever we devalue anyone." Since that's the premise of the blog, I'll remain unpublished there. 8-)

Another good book on that is The 19th Wife, by Elizabeth Webb Young...nineteenth wife of Brigham Young.

There are now seven comments put up and ThatSnark's comment is up. The rest of the comments are anti-feminist and I find it disturbing that Lori's fangirls also gloss over the atrocities that Jewish women, black women, and other women have endured throughout history. ETA: I just noticed the book recommendation comment.

Right, she means white women of course.

...but even then it isn't an accurate statement. Men had the legal right to beat and rape their wives until very recently, and viable employment is a recent thing as well (and without that you are confined to your husbands home). Confinement and beatings still govern the lives of women today, regardless of race, because isolation is part of the nature of domestic abuse.

There are now seven comments put up and ThatSnark's comment is up. The rest of the comments are anti-feminist and I find it disturbing that Lori's fangirls also gloss over the atrocities that Jewish women, black women, and other women have endured throughout history. ETA: I just noticed the book recommendation comment.

I only see 10 comments, five anti-feminist comments and 5 replies by Never Will Learn a damn thing.

Lori needs to read "The Yellow Wallpaper."

Some women were rounded up and put in insane asylums for no other reason than their husbands wanted to get rid of them and didn't want to go through the process of divorce.

I only see 10 comments, five anti-feminist comments and 5 replies by Never Will Learn a damn thing.

I did see ThatSnark's comment earlier, but now it is gone. Guess she let one through by accident.

...but even then it isn't an accurate statement. Men had the legal right to beat and rape their wives until very recently, and viable employment is a recent thing as well (and without that you are confined to your husbands home). Confinement and beatings still govern the lives of women today, regardless of race, because isolation is part of the nature of domestic abuse.

Of course, but some fundies seem to think that you can't rape a spouse, that beatings aren't beatings at all but correction because the woman has done something wrong, and that women belong in the home anyway

She says "America was founded upon biblical principles. Women were valued. Just because they couldn't drink, smoke, or vote doesn't mean they weren't valued". it seems to be that weird "I will put you on a pedestal" type thing.

Archived