IGNORED

Larissa & Ian's Story More Public & Secular?

0 kids n not countin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this was important to them, and I wish them all the best with their book, but the likelihood that they will make any significant income even if it is published by a good publisher and well-received by critics is small. The average advance for a memoir (by someone who is not otherwise known to the public, either as an entertainment figure or someone involved in a national news story) is $7,500.

I just finished reading that story. It was really touching and I was a bit surprised that the new husband was ok with everything and the plan.

On the topic of Ben and Katie, I saw their update about buying a house. I'm happy for them, but I still wonder quite a a bit about their finances. It was theorized by a former FJer that Katie works as a Ben's caretaker. It seems they travel here and there and Katie will occasionally go on road trips with friends.

That story made me cry. I'd love to think Larissa could have some sort of life at some point, but short of his passing away, it seems unlikely.

I'd think both Larissa and Katie will be precluded from having children....they're both already on the hook for a lifetime of caregiving that won't lessen.

Would someone in Ian's situation be likely to receive a large insurance settlement, to the point that money might not be an issue? Would he be getting disability or social security? I am sure the cost for his care is astronomical. I do hope they don't have financial worries on top of all that they face everyday.

I do hope they won't have children. (If that's even possible.) Parenting is hard enough when things are "normal," but in their situation, she'd be pretty much a single mom who also has to take care of her husband. It would be really, really hard. She seems to adore her nieces and nephews. Hopefully she'll throw herself into them and that will be enough. How sad for her though...she seems like she'd be a lovely mother. :(

Would someone in Ian's situation be likely to receive a large insurance settlement, to the point that money might not be an issue? Would he be getting disability or social security? I am sure the cost for his care is astronomical. I do hope they don't have financial worries on top of all that they face everyday.

Ian was working before the accident. His social security disability checks would depend on how much he paid into the system. I haven't read or heard about any settlements with Ian. Ian was 21 or 22 at the time. I recall he was working two jobs at time. Heather, the quadriplegic blogger from Paralyzed With Joy was 19 when her accident happened. She started working at age 16. She said that her social security disability checks are close to $800 a month. If Ian had started working/paying into SS as a teenager and up until the time of his accident, he might be receiving more SS money than Heather.

I wish Larissa & Katie's stories would have a happy ending (new husbands, babies, involved still with Ben/Ian) but I doubt it.

I wish Larissa & Katie's stories would have a happy ending (new husbands, babies, involved still with Ben/Ian) but I doubt it.

I agree...they could be like the woman in the article and continue to be involved in their current spouses' lives while building families with a more compatible new husband. I think that Larissa, who wasn't married to Ian at the time of the accident, could have remained involved in his life while building a future elsewhere. His father pretty much strong armed her into committing.

Katie was already married to Ben and (I think) was in the accident too. To me, they're a different story than L & I.

I agree...they could be like the woman in the article and continue to be involved in their current spouses' lives while building families with a more compatible new husband. I think that Larissa, who wasn't married to Ian at the time of the accident, could have remained involved in his life while building a future elsewhere. His father pretty much strong armed her into committing.

Katie was already married to Ben and (I think) was in the accident too. To me, they're a different story than L & I.

You are correct Katie was already married to Ben and she was in the accident too. I believe they had been married a year or two before the accident happened. With Katie and Ben, I kind of wonder if there has been pressure for Katie to stay married to Ben. She comes from a fundie lite background. I'm not sure about Ben's background. Katie has hinted that children might be a possibility for them.

I don't think Ben or Ian will improve. Ian's injury happened almost 7 years ago and Ben's happened almost 4 years ago.

I just had a complete WHOA! moment going over their blog/story/Google again - couldn't figure out why their faces reminded me of someone.

I went to school with these two! They met at IUP - Indiana University of Pennsylvania, my alma mater, in 2005. I was there then, too. Larissa and I might have even been in the same dorm... I facebooked her and we have a few mutual friends, all of which were dormmates...

/Random/felt like sharing.

I'm an IUP person too, which is how I know of them as well. Cues "It's a small world after all."

I'm an IUP person too, which is how I know of them as well. Cues "It's a small world after all."

Yay! When were you there? I did 2004-2009.

Archived