IGNORED

Question of the Day: Bates and Reith

sunshine

Since the cancellation of Zach's and Sarah's courtship, do anyone believe that the family still remain in connect?

Since the cancellation of Zach's and Sarah's courtship, do anyone believe that the family still remain in connect?

no

Nope. Too awkward.

Gosh, what could be more awkward than when Zach asked her to court?

I think the whole thing was awkward from start to finish though it seems that the Reith family tried to embrace Zach. He was shown as being with the family on their blog and did accompany them on a music tour. However, based on that courtship = getting engaged then married once Sarah decided no, it was like breaking an engagement. That kind of hurt goes deep even in fundieland so I can see the families not being in contact after that.

The Reiths are friends of the Duggars too, right? I wonder if they'll end up crossing paths through them or some of the many homeschool/ATI conferences and what everyone will say or do. I'm sure it'd be a huge awk fest. Also, I wonder if the families "gossip" about the other side privately and who is saying what about the whole ordeal in real life and not on sunshiney smiley little family blogs.

The Reiths are friends of the Duggars too, right? I wonder if they'll end up crossing paths through them or some of the many homeschool/ATI conferences and what everyone will say or do. I'm sure it'd be a huge awk fest. Also, I wonder if the families "gossip" about the other side privately and who is saying what about the whole ordeal in real life and not on sunshiney smiley little family blogs.

Oh, I am sure the families will probably cross paths sooner or later. Given the Reiths have their band, I'd say odds are they will be performing at some fundie shindig that the Bates family will also be attending.

I would sure like to know the real story behind the failed courtship, but of course we will never get it. Yes, their courting screamed all kinds of awkward, but I always suspected that there was more to the story.

Oh, I am sure the families will probably cross paths sooner or later. Given the Reiths have their band, I'd say odds are they will be performing at some fundie shindig that the Bates family will also be attending.

I would sure like to know the real story behind the failed courtship, but of course we will never get it. Yes, their courting screamed all kinds of awkward, but I always suspected that there was more to the story.

Agree they'll probably cross paths, but I think they're all so good at minimizing and avoiding contact with others (and smiling no matter what) that it won't be a problem.

That courtship did scream awkward. I assumed it failed because of conflicts with Sarah working. Zach seems very traditional so maybe he wanted to set some time limit for them to settle down in Tennessee and start a family, and Sarah or her family didn't approve.

Agree they'll probably cross paths, but I think they're all so good at minimizing and avoiding contact with others (and smiling no matter what) that it won't be a problem.

That courtship did scream awkward. I assumed it failed because of conflicts with Sarah working. Zach seems very traditional so maybe he wanted to set some time limit for them to settle down in Tennessee and start a family, and Sarah or her family didn't approve.

Bolding mine. Zach most likely went into this courtship figuring it would lead to an engagement followed by marriage all in a short period of time. It seems he (or at least his parents) totally bought into the whole fundie courtship model and raised his expectations that he would soon have a wife. He may have started pushing for a engagement and the rubber hit the road. It may have simply been too soon for Sarah but I often suspected if it was due to expectations that she give up her musical career in spite of Zach's limited prospects to provide for a family. Plus, he comes from a family whose father quit his corporate job in spite of having more kids, same father has sporadic employment as a tree cutter, family relies on the kindness of others in various ways (TLC, etc), and on a working sibling's income to help make ends meet. OTOH, her family has made a decent living on their own between their farm and the band. Economic instability, limited prospects, and relying on the kindness of others (God will provide, ya know!) may seem normal for Zach but I can't see Sarah or her family being OK with living like that.

ETA: I got the feeling that the Reith and Bates family didn't really know each other at all, so Sarah and family found out the deal on Zach's prospects and his family economic situation after the courtship started. That gave Sarah pause but Zach wanted to go full steam ahead.

I think Zack took it TOO FAR with letting everyone know about each and every text! That had to be aggravating for the Reiths. He is a grown ass man! Both of them looked ridiculous together. What kind of job can he get that will one day help him support 20 kids??

I think Zack took it TOO FAR with letting everyone know about each and every text! That had to be aggravating for the Reiths. He is a grown ass man! Both of them looked ridiculous together. What kind of job can he get that will one day help him support 20 kids??

Yeah, I can see that being aggravating. The Reiths strike me as being rather low-key type of folks.

In some of their photos, Zach looked pretty eager but she was leaning away with a "whoa!" look on her face.

Archived