IGNORED

Are there other self-hating groups?

YPestis

Reading the various threads on women who are misogynists, I'm wondering if other groups also have prominent self-haters. Are there self-hating blacks similar to The Thinking Housewife who seems to hate her gender so much? Are there Mexicans who look down on fellow Mexicans like how fundie women look down on working women? What convinces people of their own inferiority? I guess it's partly because women have men they love who tell them they are not capable. It's easier to accept that coming from a trusted person than from a slave master or a work colleague. Still, I often wonder what makes these women tick.

Yes there are, I can't think of any cases off the top of my head other than Kidist, but all that you listed exist.

Of course there are other groups. When you're in a culture that inundates you from birth with anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-black, latin@, asian, etc messages (many of which can be conflicting and confusing) of course you can start to hate yourself. That's what oppressors want, it keeps the system running nice and smooth. Sometimes I wonder why anyone would hate themselves (and anyone they share a "group" with) but in a lot of ways I feel bad because it has to be the most torturous existence ever to know that you are "other" and no amount of railing against solidarity will change that.

Edited to say that hell, even teen girls who say that other girls are too catty and have too much drama are displaying their own mild cases of internalized misogyny

If you're looking for self-hatred, check out any group for gay Republicans. They're like little boys who get pushed out of the sandbox again and again and again, yet keep going back in hopes that THIS TIME the other boys will let them play.

If you're looking for self-hatred, check out any group for gay Republicans. They're like little boys who get pushed out of the sandbox again and again and again, yet keep going back in hopes that THIS TIME the other boys will let them play.

Yes, Log Cabin Republicans. I have one of them on my FB friends list (know him from a hobby in common). I do not get the amount of self hatred that has to go into that.

There are Hispanics who have a lot of hatred towards illegal hispanics for making them "look bad". A lot of African Americans with lighter complexions are racist against darker skinned ones. I think it has to do with having something in common with the preferred group. "I may be >>>>, but at least i don't/I'm not as/whatever like THOSE people." It just perpetuates the racism in general.

There's also the phenomenon of professionally successful women who are against feminism- they want to be seen as like the men, and therefore special, and not think that any woman could do what they've done if they were only given the opportunity.

There are Hispanics who have a lot of hatred towards illegal hispanics for making them "look bad". A lot of African Americans with lighter complexions are racist against darker skinned ones. I think it has to do with having something in common with the preferred group. "I may be >>>>, but at least i don't/I'm not as/whatever like THOSE people." It just perpetuates the racism in general.

It's also a class thing. Working class whites despise "white trash". I've even heard tales of infighting among the residents of a trailer park-- the same one featured in the Eminem movie "8 Mile". This trailer park has an owners' section and a renters' section and those who own their trailers consider themselves to be superior to those who rent their trailers. Both groups look down on the transients who live at the nearby motel.

It's quite common in many groups.

If group X is oppressed and hated by group Y, which has the power, Person A who happens to be from group X may spent a lot of time convincing everyone that they are nothing like everyone else in group X and are much more like group Y instead.

There can be a fine line, as well, between the genuine self-hating phenomenon and using the term to stifle legitimate criticism from within, particularly from any oppressed subgroup within group X.

A friend of mine is an Orthodox Jew and considers any non-Zionist Jews to be "self-hating."

The Fuck? :shock:

Can't speak for this friend, but some are. Satmar Hasidim come to mind. The basic theology of the sect is that G-d used the Holocaust to punish the Jews for Zionism. Sounds pretty self-hating to me.

I dated a hispanic guy in high school in Texas, 2 miles from the border with Mexico. His mother used to brag that her ancestors were "Spanish, not like all those Mexicans (imagine it said dripping with disgust) you see around here."

Of course, almost all Mexicans have Spanish ancestry, as my boyfriend pointed out to me after the first time she said it.

I'm the OP and while I agree that most examples stated would be considered "self-hatred", I was not referring to people who distance themselves from their heritage.

What I mean is, Kidist is adamant that she is NOT black, that she springs from "pure Caucasion stock". She hates nonwhites and considers herself white in societal terms. Fundie women never deny that they are not female. They consider themselves "the same" as working mothers and feminists but that women, including fundie women, are incapable of leadership and other "manly" skills.

The examples shown here have people who feel separated from the people they hate. Conservative successful women may not appreciate the women's right movement which gave them opportunities, but they don't deny that women are capable. Fundie women, OTOH, do believe they, and all women, are incapable of many things. They believe men are superior and should lead.

Put this another way, are there any black people who defer to white people because they believe white people should naturally lead them? I guess that's what I meant by self-hatred. Those that believe they, themselves, are incapable of great things, and thus project that inadequacy onto their self-identified group.

There's also the phenomenon of professionally successful women who are against feminism- they want to be seen as like the men, and therefore special, and not think that any woman could do what they've done if they were only given the opportunity.

This is the definition of Phyllis Schlafly.

Put this another way, are there any black people who defer to white people because they believe white people should naturally lead them? I guess that's what I meant by self-hatred. Those that believe they, themselves, are incapable of great things, and thus project that inadequacy onto their self-identified group.

wJ1-zHF8DiA

Warning for language. But it's so hilarious.

An extreme example, but there are really people like this. We call them black conservatives. Just kidding.

Edited because you can't forget White Jesus

A32M0-KYTu0

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said when she told me. We were only successful friends because one of the very first times we hung out, we made a list of all the topics we could never, ever talk about. It worked pretty well.

Archived