IGNORED

School employee accidentally shot during concealed gun class

doggie

Of course it was a mechanical failure and not a failure to handle the gun properly. Well You get what you pay for and the NRA aught to be proud.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02 ... class?lite

A month after a Texas district voted to allow school employees to carry firearms on campus, a mechanical malfunction following a concealed handgun class has injured one of its workers, according to reports.

The employee from the Van Independent School District had stayed for one-on-one training after class with the concealed handgun license training instructor on Tuesday when a mechanical malfunction with his weapon caused his gun to misfire, NBC affiliate KETK reported. The bullet ricocheted, striking the employee in the left leg; his injury was not life-threatening, the affiliate said.

I really really really hope that these idiots realize that arming teachers is an incredibly STUPID plan before more stuff like this happens.

I really really really hope that these idiots realize that arming teachers is an incredibly STUPID plan before more stuff like this happens.

not even a teacher but a janitor.

not even a teacher but a janitor.

Yeah, I guess I should have said school personel outside of trained security proffessionals.

Yeah, someone please tell me how this is safer for students to be surrounded by armed people who are not trained professionals? That jab at how the president's children has armed guards seems to overlook the fact the SECRET SERVICE requires extensive training. Besides, why should our children be forced to live in a war zone because a few gun nuts really, really enjoy fondling their Ak-47s?

It's only a matter of time before we hear of a teacher/student argument gone wrong. Jebus, where is the LOGIC in this?

As an Australian I continue to be completely bewildered by the US gun culture. I don't understand how having every second person waving a gun around can possibly reduce shootings.

We have pretty tight gun ownership laws here developed mainly in response to a truly sickening massacre at Port Arthur in Tasmania. (I haven't posted a link. It's easily found via google).

And yes, there are still shootings. But these are so few and far between that it is a major news story when one occurs.

The only people I know personally in Aus who have guns are our farmer friends, for whom guns are necessary. And they don't wander around carrying them all the time. They are brought out for specific reasons - shooting foxes or feral dogs that are eating their sheep, euthanasing sick or dying stock etc

The main thing I don't understand in the US is why the average person has access to automatic weapons and assault rifles. Why on earth would any civilian need that?

I also don't understand why stockpiling bullets is allowed. Why not a limit per person, and spent shells have to be cashed in before you can buy more?

I'm sure I will get responses about the "right to bear arms" and personal freedom. But I know where I feel safer, and it isn't in the US.

It's a mistaken conception from the Wild West era of US, I guess. Gotta have your guns 'cuz of the govurnment! Never mind that if the government wants you to disappear, you probably will disappear. :roll:

As an Australian I continue to be completely bewildered by the US gun culture. I don't understand how having every second person waving a gun around can possibly reduce shootings.

We have pretty tight gun ownership laws here developed mainly in response to a truly sickening massacre at Port Arthur in Tasmania. (I haven't posted a link. It's easily found via google).

And yes, there are still shootings. But these are so few and far between that it is a major news story when one occurs.

The only people I know personally in Aus who have guns are our farmer friends, for whom guns are necessary. And they don't wander around carrying them all the time. They are brought out for specific reasons - shooting foxes or feral dogs that are eating their sheep, euthanasing sick or dying stock etc

The main thing I don't understand in the US is why the average person has access to automatic weapons and assault rifles. Why on earth would any civilian need that?

I also don't understand why stockpiling bullets is allowed. Why not a limit per person, and spent shells have to be cashed in before you can buy more?

I'm sure I will get responses about the "right to bear arms" and personal freedom. But I know where I feel safer, and it isn't in the US.

I bet you'd feel pretty safe in Switzerland. Ya know with its high rate of gun ownership and yet very low gun crime. :D

Btw correct me if I'm wrong but can't you own almost any weapon in Australia except for high powered semi-auto rifles? And didn't Australia already have low gun crime before gun control in the 90's?

Yeah, someone please tell me how this is safer for students to be surrounded by armed people who are not trained professionals? That jab at how the president's children has armed guards seems to overlook the fact the SECRET SERVICE requires extensive training. Besides, why should our children be forced to live in a war zone because a few gun nuts really, really enjoy fondling their Ak-47s?

The whole secret service analogy is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time, and that is saying something.

Beyond the fact that the secret service are some of the most highly trained guards and intelligence officers in the world, there is the simple fact that the kidnapping of the child of a president or even VP would be a worldwide crisis of epic proportions. Hello, West Wing anyone? LOL

I know everyone thinks their child is a special snowflake, but the simple fact of the matter is the first children are at a MUCH higher risk than most every other child on the planet, and their safety is of upmost importance for national security. Sally Smith's parents cannot say the same about their child. THAT is why tax dollars go to protect them, not because the are somehow "better" than your children, and not because Obama hates you.

I bet you'd feel pretty safe in Switzerland. Ya know with its high rate of gun ownership and yet very low gun crime. :D

Btw correct me if I'm wrong but can't you own almost any weapon in Australia except for high powered semi-auto rifles? And didn't Australia already have low gun crime before gun control in the 90's?

The difference with Switzerland is that everyone has to go through at least basic military training when they turn eighteen, with periodic retraining after that, so most people are trained in how to handle the firearm they own.

Such is not the case in the US, I believe.

The difference with Switzerland is that everyone has to go through at least basic military training when they turn eighteen, with periodic retraining after that, so most people are trained in how to handle the firearm they own.

Such is not the case in the US, I believe.

Yeah, any joe schmo can own a gun here, and I think that is so incredibly irresponsible. I am strongly in favor of a nationwide background check system paired with some kind of certification course that must be passed in order to be a liscenced gun owner. And there should be a different class and license for each type of gun - hand gun, shotgun ect.

Australian gun ownership/licensing etc:

Firearms categories

Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories determined by the National Firearm Agreement with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: Rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, and paintball markers. A "Genuine Reason" must be provided for a Category A firearm.

Category B: Centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901. Apart from a "Genuine Reason", a "Genuine Need" must be demonstrated, including why a Category A firearm would not be suitable.

Category C: Semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. Category C firearms are strongly restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms.

Category D: Semi-automatic centrefire rifles, pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding more than 5 rounds. Functional Category D firearms are restricted to government agencies and a few occupational shooters. Collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms.

Category H: Handguns including air pistols and deactivated handguns. (Albeit both SA and WA do not require deactivated handguns to be regarded as handguns after the deactivation process has taken place. This situation was the catalyst in QLD for the deactivation and diversion of thousands of handguns to the black-market – the loophole shut since 2001) This class is available to target shooters. To be eligible for a Category H firearm, a target shooter must serve a probationary period of six months using club handguns, and a minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun.

Reminds me of this cop shooting himself in the leg in a classroom.

gxegEMWmNOA

If even a cop, who has training, can mess up ... so can a teacher.

Archived