IGNORED

Introduce Yourself - Part 2

happy atheist

Just wanted to clarify: Just because I'm not a fundie, doesn't mean I'm not a Christian. I am. I still want to share my faith with others- that's the great commission. I accept them and I'm friends with them, I don't force people to change or tell them to live a certain way under certain rules. I tell them about Christ and leave it up to them. It's my choice.

ETA: Yes, I have read all of those forums. :)

Your choice. What about the choice of the people whose face you're getting into? What choice do they have about you accosting them to 'share Jesus?' I don't need you to share Jesus with me. You want to share something useful with me, let me know if my fly is down or I'm trailing toilet paper on my shoe. And accept them? Gee, how big of you.

Gah. :angry-banghead:

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!

I found this forum while looking for more info about Dede and XGay Greg Haislip because I am fascinated with their train wreck. I don't know any fundies IRL and never have. I've never seen The Duggars' show and probably never will. But I'm starting to get sucked into some of the blogs you all talk about here, although that Maxwell family one is the dullest thing I've ever seen.

I was raised sort of vaguely Christian although we didn't go to church very much. Went to Catholic high school but it was basically because it was where the rich kids went and spent a LOT more time there drinking and drunkenly kissing random boys than going to mass LOL. So, yeah, this whole uber-religious thing is new and amazing to me. You guys have been cracking me up with your comments on the threads I've read. So, hi, thanks for letting me in! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I've been lurking for about 2 years. I found freejinger through Duggars without pity and was amazed to find so many who share my thoughts and strange obsession with fundies and large families. My gateway fundies were definitely the FLDS and the Amish. Next were the Duggars.

I'm a 27 year old atheist liberal social worker. I work with foster families/child welfare system. Mom of 2 blessings. Anyway I have enjoyed reading on here so much thought I would try coming out of lurkdom.

Hello! I'm a 22 year old senior in college studying English and Political Science. I found FJ through Livejournal of all places because I was lurking ONTD posts about the Duggars. Everything has been really interesting and I'm enjoying my time here so far!

Hello all! I've been lurking for a couple of years now, and recently decided to join because I've been missing my snark-on-fundies fix. I'm a 34-year-old mother of one who is currently going back to school hoping to earn a nursing degree. I've been looking over the newbie threads and trying to learn more about how things work around here, so I'll do my best to keep the carpets clean. :)

I'd also like to say to Curious and all the other admins and mods here, thanks for everything you've done to keep FreeJinger up and running. It seems like it's been a difficult transition at certain points, but I just wanted to say thank you for keeping things running smoothly!

Hi! I am another long-time lurker who has finally braved up enough to start posting. I chose the name daisyfern because it is a combination of two of my dogs' names. I have enjoyed reading the forums for a couple of years and hope I have something worthwhile to add to the conversation.

Introduction post! I'm a late twenties Canadian evil liberal, living in sin, no kids ever. Found this blog from reading a few ex-fundy blogs, and googling a bit on the topic. As someone who doesn't have much experience with this type of person in real life, I can't help but be fascinated/horrified. There are so many weirdos to read about! Where to begin...

I was raised mainstream United Methodist (very non-evangelical in my hometown) because it looked good to be a church-going family, but my family didn’t really discuss religion at home other than going to church for an hour on Sundays. I had friends who were LDS, Nazarene/Baptist, and other more conservative types of Christianity which was my first exposure to anything other than Methodists. I remember thinking as a young kid how weird it was that there were different versions of Christianity. Later in school, learning about other non-Christian religions blew my mind, and it was so interesting to compare what different major world religions have in common and how they differ. I think in my heart I was agnostic/atheist before I even left high school but didn’t really have any outlets to discuss that. When your best friends are excited for their full-immersion baptisms in 11th grade and invite you over to their church for that special day, it’s hard to bring up negative feelings.

I went on to study religion and anthropology in college. I think it was around that time when I remember watching some TLC/Discovery Channel specials about families with lots of children and was FASCINATED and hooked. I remember the Duggars and also a family that seemed to be “faux-Amish†(giving kids German-sounding names, etc) though I can’t remember their name. These families’ search for a more “authentic†way to serve God, or the highly specific verses they hold up as special (meanwhile ignoring many others that they don’t interpret/follow literally?) continues to be very interesting and frustrating to me.

I found FreeJinger through searching for information about the Duggars; I lurked for awhile on the old yuku boards, and have been lurking here for a few months. That got me reading these fundie blogs (Emily/Dna, Life in a Shoe for starters). Part of me (and my live-in [sin] boyfriend) wonders why I can spend so much time reading these; I don’t know except it’s just so compelling.

Hi all, I'm a 30-year-old, happily married, feminist, child-free woman. I love astronomy, which explains the name I chose to use here. :) I also love hiking, camping, cooking, doing crafts, reading, traveling, and cats. I'm child-free (as I said previously), because I just don't want to be a parent. I'm just not a mother. That's not what my life on Earth is for. I feel for the Quiverfull women who are brought up thinking they can't even opt out of motherhood unless they stay unmarried. And they don't even get to "opt out" of motherhood anyway, because as kids from their pre-teen years, they're handed every fresh baby mom pops out to raise for her. I have cool parents who know my stance about not wanting kids, and they're actually very accepting and supportive of it. They've never pressured me to change my mind or "give them grandchildren" which I'm forever grateful for.

I found FreeJinger a few months ago and have been lurking but have been too shy to post until now. I'm loving the snark on here, and might get around to contributing more to some threads soon. :D

I first learned of the Duggars from, of course, TLC airing the first special they did about them (I think it was 14 Kids and Pregnant Again, but I can't be too sure - it was years ago). I was simultaneously fascinated and disgusted. I've always been really put off by organized religion in general. I still tune in to select episodes of their show on YouTube, as I don't have cable by choice.

I personally identify as Agnostic, and grew up with parents who thankfully always let me be myself, within reason, and never tried to indoctrinate or brainwash me. My stepdad actually grew up in the Pentecostal church, which is pretty dang strict. His parents didn't let him watch TV or go to the movies. He had to sneak out of the house as a teenager to go see his first motion picture EVER. He completely quit going to church when he got out on his own. His mom was all butthurt about that and took every opportunity to comment on the fact that he left the church. My mom's parents were both secular and didn't do the church thing, and my mom never did, either. I have some extended family members who've gotten into religion of various denominations, and had an aunt on my mom's side of the family more or less disown me because I told her I'm not interested in becoming Catholic. I have a cousin who can't make any decision, major or minor, without "consulting" God about it. I mean, all the way down to what to eat for lunch. To me, that's the definition of madness. She's one of the many hidden from my Facebook feed because of constant, play-by-play updates about how she's consulting God for guidance in this, that, and the other. :wtf:

I have occasionally read some fundie blogs, and on the flip-side some blogs from ex-fundies who freed themselves. I feel a lot of things when I read them. Mostly some WTF feelings about the whole thing in general, peppered with sympathy for the kids, since they have to say, and will face rejection and most likely be disowned if they were to decide in adulthood they want a different kind of life. As a feminist, I of course loathe the patriarchal aspect of the whole thing as well. I love being married, but I love being married because I'm in love with my hubby, and he respects me. As a feminist, I just couldn't be in a patriarchal marriage. My husband and I are equals. I couldn't deal with any other arrangement in a marriage.

Right at this moment, the thing that "gets to me" the most is the whole courtship thing. It all seems to be so unnatural and almost "staged." I really just don't think it's genuine, and having daddy dictate who's "eligable" enough to be with his daughter is beyond creepy. Also, purity balls and chastity rings and the like really squick me out too. Why are these men so concerned about what goes on between their daughters' legs? It's really creeptastic. I mean, I get not wanting your kid to make poor life decisions in regards to sex (get pregnant in their teen years with some jerk boy who doesn't care, or catch an STD), but to pray that their daughters' "purity" will remain intact seems mighty creepy to me. Also, assigning these young women the role of mother to their siblings is beyond unfair, and robs them of their teen years and early 20's, when they should be figuring out who they are and what they want for their lives. They go from being mother-sisters, to being wives to someone via a courtship that usually only lasts upwards of 6 months, then right back to being mothers.

Lovin' the snark here, and looking forward to adding mine eventually. :D :popcorn2:

Ok, well, obviously I am new here. I came here because I've been trying to overcome lifelong psychological abuse, and someone on a message board I'm already a member of told me this might be a helpful place. So yeah. Here I am. Hello. I look forward to making some friends here. :)

A quick intro from me before I probably go back to lurking again! I'm from London, hence my user name and in my early 30s.

I first discovered Free Jinger a few years ago from reading a fundie blog where someone posted about how she was being torn apart by FJ so I was curious. Then I saw discussions about Lina, the Dixons, Anna T and Razin' Ruth whose blogs I followed and I was hooked! I did post briefly in the Yuku days but I forget my username and these days don't have a lot of time for posting but I read posts pretty much every day.

I was raised Christian but would consider myself agnostic now. I very briefly started to consider the whole Messianic thing a few years back which is perhaps why I was drawn to the blogs by Lina and the Dixons. That phase didn't last long though, thankfully! Ironically, I probably think about Christianity and question my faith more now through reading fundy blogs and this site than I ever did back when I used to go to church every week.

I was also raised Christian--fundamentalist Christian, that is. I still consider myself Christian, but more unorthodox now. My parents pretty much brainwashed me my whole life, and still try to control me.

I never know how to start these things. I used to post at TwoP years ago, though not much on the Duggar thread. I lurked here for years, then sort of lost track. Another forum I read mentioned freejinger, and I decided to look you up.

I'm a non-believer who grew up culturally Catholic (IOW, not at all religious. Thanks family!). I can't relate to religious beliefs at all--even when I considered myself Catholic, it was more out of habit and tradition than any real faith--so I'm kind of fascinated by fundies.

Hiya!

I'm an atheist, kinda-hippie, evil-liberal mum of two. I've been watching the Duggars like the train-wreck they are since the first special. I lurked here slightly before everything locked-down, and am a former fundy myself (of the Assemblies of God flavor).

I lurked at FJ for a couple of years and finally joined today because I missed reading about all the fundie families that are discussed here. I read at TWOP on the Duggar thread too, but missed all the info on the other fundie families.

I'm a flight attendant, and I catch TLC on my layovers because I don't get cable at home.

If I did have cable at home, I'd never leave my sofa. I had no idea I was such a voyeur.

I've seen the Duggar shows, but I don't know who the other Heavies are. I found FJ after an online discussion about the Pearls, whom I had never before heard of. I was directed here for an edumacation. What I've found is another outlet and deeper level in which to indulge my voyeurism. This could be trouble for my laundry, plants, and any children who can't yet feed themselves ....

Hiiiiiiii.

I'm a 24 year old computer science grad student. I've been a lurker for a year or so. Raised Baptist, now consider myself confused (but sort of agnostic - I think?). tl;dr I'm finding I disagree with most of what I was raised to believe. Anywho, I'm fascinated by fundies so here I am. :greetings-wavegreen:

Howdy.. I signed up a few days.. after doing a generic preemie search..

Im a veteran preemie Mom.. had twins at 24 weeks pregnant, one passed away during our NICU stay and we have our survivor who is 9.

I stuck around around because i actually did follow the lawrenson facebook and twitter (and learned a whole lot O_O )

for updates on Gwen... i was put in contact with them right after she was born but never talked much after that first year. I just like to see how shes progressing and see how Tricias health it.

I know almost nothing about the Duggars except that I have a friend who lives in Bentonville Arkansas.. and they say if you see the Duggars out and about they virtually ignore you and are very stuck up unless a camera is around.. lol

So thats about it.. I have no idea who the other fundies are you talk about.. i dont really watch cable tv or satellite much.. we do Hulu and Netflix..

Welcome to FJ, new ones! Looking forward to hear from all of you.

I really don't remember how I came here, but I think it was from a horse forum that I am a member on, who had some woman who faked being sick. (this was several years ago)

I have two kids, a dog, and three horses. I am a Christian, but I'm not sure if I'm a "fundie" or not, since I wear jeans, and believe that the Earth is older then 4 thousand years. I'm not here to convert anyone though...just mainly here to pass the time. :)

Hello! I used to be somewhat active on the old board. I was home sick today and thought I'd see what I've been missing! I will probably mostly lurk!

Xox

Jenny

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived