IGNORED

Introduce Yourself - Part 2

happy atheist

Hi I'm Hestia and I'm from NZ. I have been signed up for freejinger for a while but was never really that active, so I thought I'd introduce myself again.

I was raised as a messianic/charasmatic/fundie and now I'm an agnostic/pagan. I'm married to my catapult making husband and we have a kid together. I'm about to go back to studying my literature/classics/womans studies/history/philosophy degree and in the meantime I devour books about those subjects.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I got sucked into Free Jinger after watching the Duggars and then reading the sites of their IBLP buddies.

I have a Jewish dad and a Catholic mom, raised agnostic, and married an agnostic guy who went to Catholic school for 10 years. It's amusing to look at the large Christian families compared to my husband's large, Irish-Catholic family. My father-in-law is one of 12, raised in a VERY religious household, and at this point maybe 4 of them are still religious.

Hello FJ, I joined a little while ago but it took me a while to get the courage to do my first post. (I'm a very shy person.)

Welcome, Rarity65!

I'm BeanBurritos. I've been lurking for years but only got an account once the Quiver Full of Snark went private. I really, really missed it when it was closed and am so happy to be able to read it again! :D

BB

Hello FJ, I joined a little while ago but it took me a while to get the courage to do my first post. (I'm a very shy person.)

You don't have to be shy here. Hang out in the SOTDRT until you get your sea legs and you will do great :)

Have a dancing welcome ferret!

post-132-14451997162329_thumb.jpg

How do. :greetings-waveyellow: I'm GodsKnickers (obviously) - found you guys off a mention on another forum, decided to check you out. Been laughing my ass off ever since.

Mid40s mum to 3 mostly grown children - 2 boys (22 and 20) and a girl (18) and married to a grease monkey - and we are all owned by 3 fuzzbutts (wee doggies). We live north of the border, in Canuckistan. Southern Alberta, to be exact. Originally from the States but have lived in Canada pretty much my entire life.

My main goal in life is to keep the couch anchored to the floor. Ok, not really, but it's a good couch and I like TV, what can I say? I don't work out of the house - have a chronically ill kid so that takes up a fair amount of time. In my spare time, I like to haul my family to the mountains, go hiking, love reading, enjoy amateur photography, addicted to a few TV shows, seriously enjoy British television, and I speak fluent sarcastabitch.

Have relatives out the wazoo because my husband and I come from large families on both sides. My father in law's family is almost Duggar sized at 17 kids (Mennonite). Both my parents, and my mother in law's family have a paltry 8. But, I guess 70+ years ago, there wasn't much else to do but imitate the bunnies. ;)

Sorry for the delayed intro - things have been a bit hectic around here the past couple of days and since I can't sleep, I thought I'd add my intro and induce you all into a coma. Now, off to figure out how to add an avatar and what not.

Hi!

I'm new (I'm Alyssa, or Spring if it's easier to remember), and learned about this site via another online community I'm a part of. I've always been sort of baffled by the Duggars, but never found them to be malevolent in any way. But since I've learned more about the movement they subscribe to, I find myself at a complete loss! I'm really excited to become a part of this group and snark all over this hot mess.

Thanks in advance for the welcome!

I am a crabby atheist, fascinated by culty religiosity. I work in child welfare in a rural area and I'm constantly dreading running into serious fundies... I know that's barely an introduction. I'm thrilled to see all this nuttiness gathered in one place!

Hi, I'm Dru.

I first got hooked into the Maxwell family in early 2003 when the SA forums invaded the MOMS board. I had an account on the MOMS board for a while. Posting there was an exercise in futility because posts are 100% moderated and, as Steve does with blog comments, Teri (and possibly Sarah) had no qualms about editing your posts to make them say something completely different.

I first discovered Free Jinger a year or so ago while trying to dig up additional info on my favorite fundie nut-balls. I've been lurking off and on and went into a panic when the Snark forum went private.

Hi, I'm Anita, mid-40s, in CA. I got sucked into Duggar-world last summer when I was bored. I've followed various extreme-mommy blogs for a while... mostly moms with multiples or adoption-disruption or that sort of thing, but the Duggars are another level of crazy. I've been reading Duggars without pity and the Duggar forum on Television without pity for a few months but Free Jinger has so much more snark and detail :-).

Hi,

I am a late 20-something, living in Los Angeles and fascinated by fundies. I am Jewish by birth and for cultural solidarity, I will go to hi-holiday service and during Passover, I make Matzo Ball soup and during Chanukah, I light the Menorah. I consider myself more Agnostic and I am married to a man who is also Agnostic.

My love/hate of the Fundies started with the Duggars. On one hand, I admired the way that the kids behaved and their home life seems so structured... I guess I kind of envy'd that because my home life as a child was much more "chaotic." Not bad by any means, but I have a very colorful family. After getting married and as I have gotten older, I value my quirky family so much more and I have realized how oppressive that Duggar lifestyle is. I could not imagine the lifestyle.

We actually have family friends who converted to the kind of Faux-Jew lifestyle and it really bothered me for various reasons... mainly because I know that the movement actively seeks "Incomplete Jews," (their term), and tries to convert them to "Complete Jews," once they have found Jesus. After I learned a bit about this movement, I have had to distance myself from them, (but not before checking out all their wacky friends blogs and FB sites!)

I think that I found Free Jinger because I googled the name of one of the Faux-Jew bloggers that I love to snark on, and it led me here. Now I feel amongst my people.

Hi, I'm Rin. I'm a 29 year old mommy of one and game designer from Ontario. I started watching the Duggars back when they only had 16 kids. Since then, I haven't been able to look away from that train wreck and have been curious about the Quiverfull/Gothard/Pearl stuff off and on. A member of another message board I'm on mentioned this community while talking about Josh and Anna's pending addition and I thought I'd check it out. I love the way this place is set up, I can't wait to learn more and get to know all of you lovely people.

Oh, those Duggars. Seems they're to blame (credit?) for a lot of us being here. I was always fascinated by large families and how they worked, but it wasn't long before I realized something was "off" with the wholesomer-than-thou Duggars. I read of FJ through TWOP, started lurking here while researching fundies for a book plot, got addicted to the snark.

I'm a writer and artist living in the northern US. Have been a feminist most of my life, ever since thinking "Oh, hell, no!" when I was old enough to understand and question the story of Adam and Eve.

Making myself post for the first time or I'll likely stay a lurker forever.

Hello to everyone!

Hello everyone! I'm a 20-year-old agnostic college student currently living in Massachusetts. I've been following the Duggars on and off for a few years, and I've occasionally lurked here at Free Jinger. I came back for the first time in over a year to find that the board went private, so I finally made an account. The snark here is always excellent!

Hi- I'm a longtime lurker and finally registered. I found this site searching for info on the Duggars (which apparently a lot of us do!). I'm Christian and a conservative, but I also have a brain and lean more to the libertarian side of things. I'm also a public school teacher who doesn't even own a skirt- don't get me started on what happens when I get a former homeschooled kid in my classroom...

I've watched the Duggars from the beginning as well as the Bates show and Sister Wives- I call it train wreck television because if I start watching it, I can't turn away.

Hey everyone! 25 year old divorced female from the midwest here (so many pieces of my heart are gone that you can see it on chest X-ray). My journey from being raised Lutheran to becoming and atheist was an interesting one. I have always been fascinated by religious tradition so I took a few religious thought classes in college even though I was a biology major. The funny part was that the more I learned about nature's wonders, the more I was inclined to believe in God, but the more I studied the Bible the less I could buy it.

I'm graduating from medical school in May, so a particular hobby horse of mine is to read about distrust of physicians among fundies and their confusing logic regarding health care choices! (Looking at you, Zsuza)

Favorite fundie blogger: Zsuza. Enigmatic and infuriating, but damn does she give me some good craft ideas.

Favorite Duggar episode: The childbirth episodes. I want my future husband nowhere near me when I am giving birth, so the thought of a camera crew around me during that process will never stop shocking me.

Can't wait to join the party and actually start commenting!

Hello to everyone !

My pseudonym is Marianne because I'm a french young girl. So, first, I don't speak english very well. Teaching of English is not very good in France. I live in the south of the France, I'm a musician (a trumpet player.), I love classic music, especially opera :violin:

I discovered the Duggars (and Bates, etc...) in a French TV show and I was soon fascinated. At first I was fan then I read critical sites on fundamentalism. This forum is very interesting but I think I am not going to participate a lot because my English is very bad (but I want to improve it.) I have just watching the Duggars on youtube with my friends during this summer. It was a funny summer !

Thanks for this forum !

Hello to everyone !

My pseudonym is Marianne because I'm a french young girl. So, first, I don't speak english very well. Teaching of English is not very good in France. I live in the south of the France, I'm a musician (a trumpet player.), I love classic music, especially opera :violin:

I discovered the Duggars (and Bates, etc...) in a French TV show and I was soon fascinated. At first I was fan then I read critical sites on fundamentalism. This forum is very interesting but I think I am not going to participate a lot because my English is very bad (but I want to improve it.) I have just watching the Duggars on youtube with my friends during this summer. It was a funny summer !

Thanks for this forum !

Welcome Marianne!

Your English is just fine. Please don't let that stop you from joining in :)

Hi. My name is Stephanie and I learned about this site thru ontd(lols). And I'll probably be a bit of a lurker because I'm a bit shy, even on the internet.

Hi. My name is Stephanie and I learned about this site thru ontd(lols). And I'll probably be a bit of a lurker because I'm a bit shy, even on the internet.

An Angel fan :) No need to be shy. SOTDRT is set up just for new people. We won't bite, well except Buzzard, but she is muzzled when entering here so it's safe. She's also fully vaccinated (for liability purposes) ;)

Hello to everyone !

Thanks for this forum !

Hi Marianne,

Not everyone here is a native speaker. You're in good company. And I don't think anyone is going to give you a hard time. I'm a non-native speaker myself, and do think (flatter myself?) that us lot, outside the US, have a few ideas and insights to offer, and also get to learn an awful lot. At least that's my experience, and I credit FJ with showing me new perspectives, and making me rethink old ones. So, jump in, and share, or just have a good time with all the cake, nail-polish and pictures. I came for the Duggars and stayed for the conversation. Welcome! ;)

P.S.: Winifred Burkle, I love you for your name already. :D

Hi everyone,

Im Sarah. I'm 27 and from Yorkshire, England. I joined the site as the Duggars drive me crazy! I love all the snark on them. I much prefer the Bates family, they dont seem *AS* crazy! The recent episodes of 19kac have driven me insane! The kids running wild in the hotel (no respect for other people's property? Then again.. its what they do at home isnt it :?)

The eye rolls, the "lets speak spanish to the *foreigners* cos they are foreign so should understand a foreign language crap!" (Man I wanna punch Jim-Bob! You dont go abroad and complain that they dont understand you! You learn THEIR language)

Ok enough moaning for now :)

Hello, everyone. I'm a homeschooling mom of 10. We used to be what you could call fundie-lite. We still homeschool because we like it, not because we think we have to. After being exclusively a stay-at-home-mom for 25 years, I decided to go back to school. I am going part time and hope to be accepted into nursing school next fall. I have been lurking here for a lot of years. I think I originally found this site because of Emily and Dna, but I'm not sure.

Hey everyone! I´m a mid-30 woman from Germany. I was a lurker before and decided to register at some point because I missed all the snark.

I was lutheran (but not very) and converted to Islam 9 years ago, I´m a sufi.

I love to read, go to the cinema, discuss and chat with the headship, do sports and play an old-oriental instrument called "rebab" (http://www.instrumentsmedievaux.org/pages/rebab.html)

I originally found this site via Kristina and her keepsakes and was so relieved to see that there are lots of others who think that she´s nuts as well.

Shalom!

I live in Israel, age is 24 years, working in the petroleum industry. I remember the Duggar family came to Israel last year and this made me very interested to read more of them and the christian people like them. I like some things about those families, but mostly I think their christianity is wrong and psychologically harmful to the kids. I have read FJ for maybe 1 year already, but then I have to register because the main section got closed to unregistered readers. Now since I am registered, I can join the conversations. This is the only website that is having so much information on this topic, thank you!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived