IGNORED

Anna Duggar, pregnant with number 3

pixydust

I don't understand why God's will is thwarted by a simple pill, or metallic implant, or condom. I mean, if the Creator of the Universe wanted you to have 19 children, couldn't "he" insure you have 19 kids, regardless of birth control?

Is this a free will kind of thing? By exercising your own judgment, you're not leaving it up to God? But isn't the bearded sky wizard in charge of everything? It's like when my neighbor was losing sleep, because she so upset Obama would be elected the first time. I tried to get her to calm down and convince her the world as she knew it wouldn't end. She finally threw up her hands and said, "I don't know why I'm worried about it! Whatever God wants to happen will happen." So God gets Obama elected and then she proceeds to work against him for the next four eight years. No supporting what God did in that circumstance.

Obviously, I don't get it.

:doh:

Yeah, I know. By their own story, God beat ABSTINENCE. A bit of rubber or hormones shouldn't be an issue!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like it's one thing to "leave it up to god" and an entirely different thing to actually want more kids.

Also, I don't see how condoms would be against their religion since condoms don't actually "kill babies." or even "cause abortions" or miscarriages like the pill might. Neither does NFP.

I feel like their desire to have kids in actual fact stems from the notion of wanting "God's Army". They see heathen society and they want to outnumber them so that Christianity/Jesus/whatever can reign supreme through the ballot boxes! Although they would never actually admit it. This is at the crux of Gothard's whole "Have lots of kids!" movement. That and him wanting more money, of course.

I had high hopes that they would break away but as years have gone by, I don't see that happening too. Watching and attending sport events, owning a flat screen, going out to eat every night of the week, doesn't make them any more of a mainstream Christian couple. From the looks of it, they might have "relaxed" a bit with entertainment purposes but these people are stilling drinking the Gothard kool-aid and have no plans moving away from it. Besides, JB pretty much owns their home and the car lot-if they break away, I'm sure Dim Bulb would hover those 2 things over them to keep them in check.

Josh and Anna still toe the line enough not to be shunned unlike Suze and Daniel.

I feel sorry for Anna. Taking pregnancy tests right after the honey moon and being 'bummed' at a negative shows how trained and indoctrinated they are. I hope a light bulb goes off in her head before too may kids come along.

A lot of people watch the show because it romantices large families and people are wondering just how large this family will get. The name of the show basically spells it out. But because Michelle isn't getting pregnant as quickly as before and actually lost the last pregnancy, it's important to get a baby on the show anyway. This is where Josh and Anna come in. They're just starting out, they can pop out babies pretty quickly. So while Michelle and Jim Bob frantically work on getting just one more, in the meantime Anna is picking up the slack. So far she seems to be enjoying it, and this is how they're getting their money.

But someday the show will be over and Anna will have too many kids to really enjoy them. That's when she'll probably wait until Josh is out of town and sneak out to the nearest free clinic and get some birth control pills. Frankly, it can't happen too soon. Josh is not a helpful partner in that he can't make a living on his own and he won't help with the housework. I'm not sure he helps much with the kids, either.

• 3 months later...

It just takes time for most women. Even if everything is perfect in terms of the timing of intercourse and the fertility of both partners, you only have around a 30% chance of getting pregnant in a given month. Add in the time it takes to ovulate again after giving birth and while breastfeeding, as well as the miscarriage we know about and potentially more, and I don't think the spacing between Josh and Anna's kids is long at all, even if they are trying every month.

I've read speculation that Michelle Duggar is a superovulator (releasing more than one egg every month) -- we see evidence of that in the two sets of fraternal twins, and the fact that she gets pregnant so quickly also supports the thory (more eggs = more targets = higher odds of conceiving in a given cycle). If Anna's more typical, then it would make sense for her kids to be spaced further apart.

Newish here, have had my emotions go all over the place while reading about the Sparkling Indigent. Then I settled in to read about the Duggars. I've never watched their show, mainly because DH and I have 15 children (8 are adopted). I never felt the need to tune in to something that I could just experience myself when I wander out amongst the masses in my home.

What I want to know, and don't know if it's been discussed yet: Josh Duggar looks haunted in most of the pics of him with his wife and children. Has he not come out yet?

I say all that to say this: the term "superovulator" made me honk out loud. Can it be a consideration for a posting level (or whatever it's called).

I saw this thread on the first page and said "WHOA! She just gave birth a month ago!" Then I remembered that it's an older thread and the number 3 referred to the Li'l Roman. Whew.

It's a testament to the Duggars' baby collecting that it even crossed my mind.

I saw this thread on the first page and said "WHOA! She just gave birth a month ago!" Then I remembered that it's an older thread and the number 3 referred to the Li'l Roman. Whew.

It's a testament to the Duggars' baby collecting that it even crossed my mind.

Are they past the no-sex waiting period yet? I can't remember if it's 40 or 80 days after a boy is born.

Are they past the no-sex waiting period yet? I can't remember if it's 40 or 80 days after a boy is born.

40 for boys. 80 for girls because they are naturally unclean so purification takes twice the time. So they're getting there.

The speculation about number 4 should be in full swing by late September.

I wouldn't expect #4 until around this time in 2015. But who knows. It may be the two years between the last two was a fluke, and she'll be pregnant again three months from now.

40 for boys. 80 for girls because they are naturally unclean so purification takes twice the time. So they're getting there.

I'm sorry, I'm new to this....can someone explain the no sex waiting period thing to me?

I'm sorry, I'm new to this....can someone explain the no sex waiting period thing to me?

It's another one of those obscure rules they plucked out of the Old Testament. Actually maybe the most sensible one they've decided to use, since they won't use birth control. No sex for at least 40 days after childbirth gives the woman's body time to recover, and guarantees that she won't get pregnant in the first month and a half at least.

I dont think we will see M4 for a while yet-Anna is not as fertile as Michelle, maybe give her at least a year before shes pregnant again.

Add the stress of having two toddlers and a newborn, living in a new city, and Josh having to work an actual job with a commute, and I'd be more inclined to think that blessing #4 will take even longer to arrive. Maybe even 2 1/2 years! :o We can hope, anyway.

Michael has turned three so Anna really has two pre-schoolers and an infant. Nevertheless It is three under five and quite the handful. If Josh keeps traveling without Anna maybe that will help keep at least a two year gap between births or maybe it can widened further. :)

Michael has turned three so Anna really has two pre-schoolers and an infant. Nevertheless It is three under five and quite the handful. If Josh keeps traveling without Anna maybe that will help keep at least a two year gap between births or maybe it can widened further. :)

Michael is 2, in fact he was 1 for a short time after Marcus was born. So Anna has 3 kids 3 and under right now. I say based on her 1 admitted miscarriage and her very very early pregnancy testing for Marcus(she was testing before day #28) they are trying all the time. I think with her breastfeeding and Josh's travels we will see M4 around Christmas 2014. All that is important is that she is either very pregnant or has a newborn during 2016 when Josh is traveling the country for the next presidential election.

Eh, so he is. I'm not sure how I leaped a year ahead.

Wait...what? I know I'm new to the whole fundie underworld but I didn't realize there were people who still practiced post-birth "churching" in the world.

But isn't waiting at least 40 days normal after having a baby? As in wait 6 weeks to heal from giving birth? Nothing wrong with that. Now the 80 day rule is weird though...about girls being unclean. All I know is that I wasn't ready for sex for quite a while after giving birth.

Michelle and her wonderful Boob acknowledged the waiting periods in People magazine not long after Josie's birth.

Michelle acknowledges that she has never before encountered the sort of challenges she will face while parenting a preemie. "It is not as if we're going for another [baby] immediately. This is going to be a year of different focus for me, getting Josie through her first year of life." Even without a preemie to care for, the Duggars would not normally conceive for several months. Taking a cue from the Bible, the couple practice 40 days of abstinence after having a boy; 80 days after having a girl. "Not that we feel like we are under the Old Testament law," explains Jim Bob. "But there are spiritual benefits that come from that." Agrees Michelle: "It strengthens our relationship."

Michelle and her wonderful Boob acknowledged the waiting periods in People magazine not long after Josie's birth.

Michelle acknowledges that she has never before encountered the sort of challenges she will face while parenting a preemie. "It is not as if we're going for another [baby] immediately. This is going to be a year of different focus for me, getting Josie through her first year of life." Even without a preemie to care for, the Duggars would not normally conceive for several months. Taking a cue from the Bible, the couple practice 40 days of abstinence after having a boy; 80 days after having a girl. "Not that we feel like we are under the Old Testament law," explains Jim Bob. "But there are spiritual benefits that come from that." Agrees Michelle: "It strengthens our relationship."

How is abstaining for 40 days or even 80 days strengthening their relationship. Does JB/Michelle think most couples have sex all the time? Isn't 42 days (6 weeks) the minimum recommended by a doctor? I guess my husband and I most have a very strong relationship since it was over 180 days after our last child due to complication I had! I guess Michelle had 19 easy deliveries that made her feel 100% up to sex within 40 days. Has it ever been determined if Michelle can say no? On day 40 has she always been free of pain(I remember reading she has had lingering back problems) and ready for some baby making? I know my husband didn't even ask or hint when I wasn't feeling well post partum.

Archived