IGNORED

The Return of Sparkling Adventures - Merge

I didn't think apple pie was some weird, exotic thing for you guys, but I didn't want to assume.

I will add that pumpkin pie is also a stereotype and unlike the apple version, pumpkin pie is unusual in Aus. A vegetable pie that pretends to be a dessert? Odd. We use pumpkins for soup, for roasting but never as a sweet.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that in traditional aboriginal societies the didgeridoo was only meant to be played by initiated men, so women and hippie boys playing it wouldn't be acceptable.

I know that in traditional aboriginal societies the didgeridoo was only meant to be played by initiated men, so women and hippie boys playing it wouldn't be acceptable.

It was explained to me once by a tradiitional Kaurna man (South Australian traditional land owners) that women are not permitted to play the didgeridoo because the pressure needed to sustain the circular breathing that is required eventually causes the lungs to expand thus putting pressure on the uterus and jeopardizing their reproductive ability.

I was a bit pissed off when I heard about a guy doing a demonstration refusing to let a girl try, though. Because 1- none of those fucking kids were Aboriginal or initiates and 2- it wasn't traditionally done by east-coasters, either, yet here we are...

I was a bit pissed off when I heard about a guy doing a demonstration refusing to let a girl try, though. Because 1- none of those fucking kids were Aboriginal or initiates and 2- it wasn't traditionally done by east-coasters, either, yet here we are...

I agree - it was only meant to be played by initiated men in certain tribes, and there are very few of them anymore.

So either we move on and treat it as the cultural relic it is, or the art if playing it is going to die very soon.

She was there in the eighties and nineties.

She talks about how she was ostracised cause she was pale and freckled and surrounded by American blondes. I think if her experience was an abusive hepzibah house style one she would have told us about it over and over again. She's open about blaming and resenting her parents for sending her to boarding school, I'd there were real horrors she wouldn't keep quiet.

Congrats on getting through all the threads and the blog, that's quite a feat!

Because all american girls are blondes. :roll: Whatever Lauren. i'm a redhead with crazy pale skin and freckles and I have never been ostracised!

It was explained to me once by a tradiitional Kaurna man (South Australian traditional land owners) that women are not permitted to play the didgeridoo because the pressure needed to sustain the circular breathing that is required eventually causes the lungs to expand thus putting pressure on the uterus and jeopardizing their reproductive ability.

I had a neighbour from a local tribe here in NSW who explained to me that women playing the didgeridoo become cursed. When I told him I'd once had a go at playing it (before I knew about all the beliefs associated with it), he was most concerned and asked me if I'd had lots of bad luck in my life since. :shock:

Outside of Aboriginal culture, they're definitely the domain of hippies, try-hards and tourists as far as I'm concerned.

Because all american girls are blondes. :roll: Whatever Lauren. i'm a redhead with crazy pale skin and freckles and I have never been ostracised!

Bullies don't care about that. If she was bullied for aving freckles, she was bullied for having freckles.

OMG, OMG, this is awwwwwwwesommmmmmmme.

http://www.confest.org/thesis/sixindigen.html

Definitely worth reading the whole thing, you'll see such gems as

Aboriginality is thus mobilised to fill the void.

What a load of pretentious, patronising cultural imperialism. Disenchanted backpackers and suburban dropouts - paint your penis and dance around with a didgeridoo and that's all it takes to get in touch with your 'inner Aboriginality'. Sums up Lauren and David to a T.

"the valorised primitive"

basically just a twist on 'the noble savage' attitude to blackfellas.

Hippies really shit me to tears sometimes.

I agree - it was only meant to be played by initiated men in certain tribes, and there are very few of them anymore.

So either we move on and treat it as the cultural relic it is, or the art if playing it is going to die very soon.

I actually own two inexpensive Didgeridoos. They are both PVC, but work. I haven't pulled them out in a while, but I have taken them to school to let my students see and try them. (and I'm in the US)

I actually own two inexpensive Didgeridoos. They are both PVC, but work. I haven't pulled them out in a while, but I have taken them to school to let my students see and try them. (and I'm in the US)

You see lots of people at raves playing PVC and metal didges, they make some amazing sounds.

I've personally got no issue at all with anyone playing a didgeridoo, and I have aboriginal ancestry. It just annoys me when people claim that it connects them with koori spirituality or the spirit if the earth or crap like that. Cause they had a very specific ceremonial use, and their modern usage is far from it, and even a full blooded tribal man couldn't enact the ritual symbolism if he's not initiated, so a quarter aboriginal woman from inner Sydney (as an example of the people who enact faux rituals for tourists) is going to be way off.

I will add that pumpkin pie is also a stereotype and unlike the apple version, pumpkin pie is unusual in Aus. A vegetable pie that pretends to be a dessert? Odd. We use pumpkins for soup, for roasting but never as a sweet.

I agree that pumpkin pie sounds weird. It's basically a custard pie. The pumpkin is pureed and mixed in, not in chunks or anything like that. And there's ginger and cinnamon, too.

I just noticed on facebook Lauren has changed her name from Lauren Fisher to Red Gypsy Lauren. I guess her regular name just wasn't sparkling enough anymore!

I just noticed on facebook Lauren has changed her name from Lauren Fisher to Red Gypsy Lauren. I guess her regular name just wasn't sparkling enough anymore!

Does anyone think this might be indicative of a separation from David?

in this picture from elijah's birth story it almost looks like she *only* freckles where she tans.

6129.jpg

put picture behind a spoiler because she's not wearing much, there's a newborn with umbilical cord still attached and I'm unsure what category of safeness that would fall under.

I meant a spray tan in my initial post, whoops. I used to be able to tan but now I only freckle and burn. I have all the ridiculous skin sensitivity of a redhead (including an allergy to tattoo ink) without the glorious red hair. I wouldn't recommend anyone get a real tan, especially in Australia where the UV index never seems to go any lower than Extreme in summer.

OMG Red Gypsy Lauren. I've been laughing for two straight minutes now.

Probably something Aboriginal because she's sooo in tune with shit. She once sat on a bus next to somebody whose cousin knew this Aboriginal guy and so she totally gets the culture.

I'm dead. I have a hard time snarking on her because I feel like everything I think is said before I can say it, but she is such a caricature. A sparkly, sparkly caricature.

It's a pity Mick Jagger's partner already took the name L'Wren because thats a totes organic name right there.

It's a pity Moon Spiral is already taken.

Probably something Aboriginal because she's sooo in tune with shit. She once sat on a bus next to somebody whose cousin knew this Aboriginal guy and so she totally gets the culture.

No, she smiled at an aboriginal guy and he smiled back because she had dreads (really, you couldn't make this shit up).

It's a pity Moon Spiral is already taken.

No, she smiled at an aboriginal guy and he smiled back because she had dreads (really, you couldn't make this shit up).

Holy shit. Because dreads are the secret handshake of the 'Authentic Minorities Club', right? And dreads are such a big part of Aboriginal culture. And people never smile back politely when someone smiles at them! It MUST be the Dreadlocks of Authenticity.

Most aboriginal people have soft hair that doesn't require dreading. They aren't of African descent - the latest DNA research suggests that they share ancestry with people from the Indian subcontinent.

So while aboriginal people may have dreads its certainly not an "aboriginal thing". Most aboriginal people have thick soft curls.

Of course, and the collingwood children's farm!

Aaaaaand check out the latest Instagram pics of the Collingwood Children's Farm.

It's a pity Mick Jagger's partner already took the name L'Wren because thats a totes organic name right there.

Maybe when Michael Hutchence's daughter Tiger Lily turns 18 next year, she'll change her godawful name and then Lauren can have it. Her full name is Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence Geldof. Sparkly!

Archived