IGNORED

seth macfarlane's misogyny

merrily

To be fair, it's not just women who get ahead in Hollywood via the casting couch. Not by a LONG shot. Men are exploited too. These actors (male and female) are used when they're young and naive. They're desperate to break out of the cycle of auditions and bit parts and people with power take advantage of that. Then when they do become famous, they are known in the industry as someone who is willing to trade sex for roles and more and more people take advantage because the actors don't know any different. They have no self-esteem and think they won't get cast without sex.

Eventually some of them have the power to break free from the cycle, but many don't. Sometimes actors who start out legit and start to slide into obscurity become desperate enough to trade sex for parts or money. It's a pretty sad, sordid business.

You are very correct, but I wasn't referring to the "couch" but rather the exploitation of women and their bodies in movies. You don't see that happening with male actors like you do the females.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I think Seth Macfarlene is tired of Family Guy. I watch both Family Guy and his other show, American Dad, and he definitely seems to be pouring more of his creative energy into American Dad. With Family Guy he is stuck in a little formulaic box, and even if he wanted to change things up, he can't (see Meg taking back her criticism of the family). Its so main stream and such a fixture of the Fox lineup he can't change things or have it evolve.

I disagree: He changes things all the time on that show. He creates characters and then pretty much changes their entire nature whenever it suits him. Stewie goes from evil genius to trans-toddler? Quagmire goes from being a womanizer to straight-up a rapist.

But the worst hack job MacFarlene did, in my opinion, was to the character of Lois. She went from being smart, well-educated, and level-headed to basically being a self-absorbed asshole (which is apparent in her vocal treatment of Brian as merely an 'honorary' family member in later seasons - a much different attitude than in earlier episodes where she even admitted a bit of a romantic interest in him).

I think part of the reason for why the character of Meg is treated so poorly is because she was, from the beginning until even the later seasons, the most normal member of that entire family.

I'm a female, and I wan't offended one bit by any of Seth's jokes. Key word here is jokes. He's a comedian.

I've seen a few episodes of Family Guy, and it isn't something I enjoy enough to watch on purpose, yet I laughed at the jokes last night. (Again, jokes.) The boob song had me laughing out loud.

The subjects of these jokes are public figures, they live their lives in the spotlight in exchange for notoriety (and lots and LOTS of money). That notoriety comes with a price, which can come in the form of tabloid rumors, speculation, and in this case, jokes.

In the case of Chris Brown/Rihanna jokes, I don't think they would be made if she didn't get back together with him, IMHO they're called for if she's going to continue to be in a relationship with her abuser. (Yes, I really just went there.)

My BF loves family guy. :roll: I think Stewie & Brian are funny, but i'm not going to sit through the whole show just to see them.

Seth needs a slap.

South Park is 100000000000 times better.

I can be made to watch Family Guy and have the occasional laugh, but more and more over time it just isn't funny at all. And quite frankly all the Meg hate just really makes me mad and uncomfortable. I know its a cartoon but I'm one of those people who still thinks poor Meg. Did anyone see the episode where she stands up for herself but by the end of the episode sees the error of her ways and goes back to being everyones punching bag? Augh. Do not want.

Seth needs to possibly think about why so many people think unfunny.

YES!!!! I loved that episode about Meg losing her shit with everybody! I tried to phrase that in a no cussing way, but the way she did it there is just no other way to describe it :lol: I'm another one of those who hates the way poor Meg is treated. The early episodes were funny to me, but I haven't watched in about a year. I guess earlier I was trying to say they started trying too hard.

eta Does anyone remember the variety show he did ONE episode of :roll: ? It sounds like that bomb was a taste of what was to come last night. How could anyone think he should host the Oscars? :doh:

I didn't see anything controversial about Seth and his hosting of the Awards. Sure, some jokes bombed but that's going to happen. I watched it on the big screen with abut 250 other people and personally witnessed what I thought was a dud making others laugh hysterically and visa verse. The Boob song was funny and every woman mentioned and shown was doing it because THEY thought it was funny to. Why? BECAUSE IT"S TRUE! We saw their boobs...how is saying it a problem when DOING IT wasn't? I think he's nice looking, agreeable, friendly, and just what a host should be. That said, I don't care if he does it again or not.

I admit here that I have no trouble with "problematic" humor, but that's just me and I acknowledge that it can hurt others - and I don't make those kind of jokes myself. So I didn't really mind Seth MacFarlane from that perspective. I don't think he's particularly funny, but I don't think he's the great devil of comedy, either. The trouble was he just didn't mesh very well with the Oscars. There are other people who can be edgy while still fitting in with the "awards ceremony" persona. He didn't pull it off.

I admit here that I have no trouble with "problematic" humor, but that's just me and I acknowledge that it can hurt others - and I don't make those kind of jokes myself. So I didn't really mind Seth MacFarlane from that perspective.

I think it's important to note that many people who have a problem with Seth MacFarlane's jokes about women don't have a problem with mean/edgy/problematic humor (I'm personally a fan) For instance, Seth makes tons of mean/edgy gay jokes but I've never seen anyone accuse him of being homophobic.

I had no idea he was straight. I really thought he was gay. Maybe because of all the musical numbers, I don't know.

I had no idea he was straight. I really thought he was gay. Maybe because of all the musical numbers, I don't know.

Shocker: straight man can enjoy music and singing

Likewise, gay men don't all like musical theatre. My best friend is a gay guy and he hates musicals and everything to do with them. Although, he DID like Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. But you'd have to be insane to hate Priscilla.

Well, I know that. Hugh Jackman is totally straight and loves to break into song, and he's damn good. I guess it's just that for some reason I associate him with Stewie and for a while they wrote him as possibly gay and they did that episode where Peter did the medical study and it made him gay. I guess it felt to me like maybe he was trying to make a statement or it was close to his heart and wanted to use the show to promote awareness (not really the word I'm looking for, but it'll have to do). I said I didn't know why I thought that. Can't help it, I just didn't know.

Well, I know that. Hugh Jackman is totally straight and loves to break into song, and he's damn good. I guess it's just that for some reason I associate him with Stewie and for a while they wrote him as possibly gay and they did that episode where Peter did the medical study and it made him gay. I guess it felt to me like maybe he was trying to make a statement or it was close to his heart and wanted to use the show to promote awareness (not really the word I'm looking for, but it'll have to do). I said I didn't know why I thought that. Can't help it, I just didn't know.

Nope, he is dating Emilia Clarke, also known as Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones.

Wonder if he ever does the voices for her :lol: ? I saw him on Adam Corolla's show years ago and he was doing the voices for Adam. I laughed my ass off.

I totally thought the same thing. I assumed for years that Stewie was a stand-in for Seth, that Seth was gay, and that a lot of the seemingly offensive Family Guy humor was "subversive" thereby.

And by "years" I meant "until the Oscars". Now I feel like a prize idiot. :oops:

Speaking of musicals though, did you guys know that he released a non-ironic album of show tunes? http://www.amazon.com/Music-Is-Better-T ... s_ep_dpi_1

I'm a female, and I wan't offended one bit by any of Seth's jokes. Key word here is jokes. He's a comedian.

I've seen a few episodes of Family Guy, and it isn't something I enjoy enough to watch on purpose, yet I laughed at the jokes last night. (Again, jokes.) The boob song had me laughing out loud.

The subjects of these jokes are public figures, they live their lives in the spotlight in exchange for notoriety (and lots and LOTS of money). That notoriety comes with a price, which can come in the form of tabloid rumors, speculation, and in this case, jokes.

In the case of Chris Brown/Rihanna jokes, I don't think they would be made if she didn't get back together with him, IMHO they're called for if she's going to continue to be in a relationship with her abuser. (Yes, I really just went there.)

Sorry what? :shock:

Do you think that the jokes about Chris Brown and Rihanna are part of some constructive critique of her decision to go back to her abuser? Or that they will somehow help Rihanna, or in general contribute to an environment where relationship violence is not tolerated? Because I think the jokes are at this point only serving to trivialize relationship violence, send the message to women in violent relationships that they are stupid and will be mocked for admitting to being victims, and perpetuate (under the guise of criticizing) the idea that women are public property whose sexual lives we all have a right to regulate.

Also, let's try your statement with a few other behaviors that people might find "questionable":

"In the case of slut jokes, I don't think they would be made if women just kept their legs closed, IMHO they're called for if they're going to continue to sleep around."

"In the case of diabetic jokes, I don't think they would be made if people just didn't stuff their faces all the time, IMHO they're called for if they're going to continue to overeat."

"In the case of drug addict jokes, I don't think they would be made if people didn't do drugs, IMHO they're called for if people are going to continue to use."

Are any of those ok? I don't think so, maybe I'm the crazy one? :think:

Do you think that the jokes about Chris Brown and Rihanna are part of some constructive critique of her decision to go back to her abuser? Or that they will somehow help Rihanna, or in general contribute to an environment where relationship violence is not tolerated? Because I think the jokes are at this point only serving to trivialize relationship violence, send the message to women in violent relationships that they are stupid and will be mocked for admitting to being victims, and perpetuate (under the guise of criticizing) the idea that women are public property whose sexual lives we all have a right to regulate.

Also, let's try your statement with a few other behaviors that people might find "questionable":

"In the case of slut jokes, I don't think they would be made if women just kept their legs closed, IMHO they're called for if they're going to continue to sleep around."

"In the case of diabetic jokes, I don't think they would be made if people just didn't stuff their faces all the time, IMHO they're called for if they're going to continue to overeat."

"In the case of drug addict jokes, I don't think they would be made if people didn't do drugs, IMHO they're called for if people are going to continue to use."

I agree! So is it ok for people to laugh and make jokes about Adele being fat, since she's not the same size as all the other women who were at the Oscars? Sorry I'm so hung up on that, I was furious seeing that tweet on Sunday.

And is it ok to laugh at actresses who went topless in movie roles because the only notable thing about actresses is whether we saw their breasts?

As for people not calling Seth homophobic despite all the gay jokes he makes, I actually had a friend try to defend Seth's humor by saying since he's an avowed liberal who endorses gay marriage, that doesn't make him sexist (and I guess homophobic, since he brought up gay marriage). Which is ridiculous because I know a lot of liberal people who can be total assholes and make sexist jokes all the time!

Speaking of musicals though, did you guys know that he released a non-ironic album of show tunes? http://www.amazon.com/Music-Is-Better-T ... s_ep_dpi_1

He has been interviewed on NPR's "Fresh Air" about that, it was a good interview.

I'm not a fan of "Family Guy" or that sort of "watch me go there!" humor, but Seth McFarlane just interviewed about himself and his act and what he does, not in any sort of "character" is pretty interesting. Also his talent for voices is good. The interview played clips of his music.

I guess I find Seth's jokes less offensive when they come out of the mouth of a cartoon character. I know they are still just as misogynistic, racist, whatever. It seems to have less of an impact then coming out of a real, live person. I like family guy, but I was really offended by Ted. I started to not like family guy as much after watching that movie, to be honest. I started seeing the jokes for what they really were, without the technicolor filter. Can't people just be funny, without throwing people under the bus? You don't need to be particularly talented or funny to take cheap shots. Truly funny people don't need the shock factor of a derogatory joke or swear words to get a laugh. They're just funny because they are witty, talented, and can get a laugh because they are smart and know how to jerk a funnybone.

I guess you could interpret the Rihanna joke in different ways.

To me, it was a criticism of the violence, saying that something is completely warped if that level of violence is seen as normal and romantic.

In some ways, I would find it more offensive to simply ignore the elephant in the room and just nod as someone resumes a relationship that was so obviously abusive. I also want people to look at Chris Brown as not just a talented musician, but as an abuser. I don't want folks to say, "well, they patched that up, let's pretend it never happened."

Rihanna's extremely talented, I wish her well and I do understand that it's hard for someone that young to live life under the microscope and be seen as a role model. The reality, though, is that she IS a celebrity, and she has tons of young girls as fans. I have conversations with my kids about her and how important it is to leaving abusive relationships. At the risk of sounding like a broken record - the world saw the photos of her face after Chris Brown hit her, we heard her singing on Eminen's song "Love the way you lie" that depicts a violent relationship (I hesitate to call it an anti-domestic violence song because Eminem himself was violent toward his ex), then we heard her singing about her love of S&M, and then we see her getting back together with Chris Brown. The cumulative message that it all sends out is not a good one for girls. I'm not, G-d forbid, saying that she deserves violence. I'm saying the opposite - she deserves better than a violent relationship, and I don't domestic violence normalized, ignored, or made to seen like it's just part of some "we're so crazy in love that sometimes we hurt each other, but being in love means you forgive" bullshit.

I wonder if the manatees got some sort of kelp bonus for writing for live, non-cartoon, performances.

Please don't lump S&M and relationship violence together. In most cases they have absolutely nothing to w each other.

I am sure there is a way to use humor to critique the situation. But that was not it.

I love Seth. He has an ego the size of TX, but I love him. The thing is, he makes fun of everyone and every thing. There is nothing off limits. I like that in my comedians and comediannes. It is the essence of comedy IMO. It onlyi s an issue if you make fun of just women, or just gays, or just hispanics. When you make fun of everyone (including yourself!) then I don't get offended.

I loved Seth. The boobs song cracked me the hell up. Sock puppets? OMG. And the best part was the Sound of Music joke. I died.

I also realize that everyone has different senses of humor. I just happen to have a perverted one ;)

You're acting like theres no difference between aiming humor at people who are privileged and those who are disadvantaged. Its ridiculous. Like saying "I like robin hood, but it would be better if he stole and gave to everyone instead of just stealing from the rich...". Dudes like seth aim their humor at people who suffer all the time because of who they are, and that is wrong. He could aim it at people who cause those problems.

Please don't lump S&M and relationship violence together. In most cases they have absolutely nothing to w each other.

I am sure there is a way to use humor to critique the situation. But that was not it.

I'm not saying that there is an objective link.

I'm saying that the kids who are her fans are not experts in the nuances of S&M, and that they were getting a general confused message of beaten by boyfriend in real life - singing about being in a deadly violent relationship with someone who in reality has been violent - singing about liking pain during sex - getting back together with the violent boyfriend in real life.

Archived