IGNORED

seth macfarlane's misogyny

merrily

Earlier Family Guy episodes were definitely funny, in my opinion. As the show, however, became more and more famous, Seth seemed to push the envelope a bit more in each episode. It got to the point where his jokes were just unfunny and pretty offensive. I didn't watch the Oscars, nor did I care for it. I was too busing creating cocktails with leftover Thai Basil (win!). Seth MacFarlane has just become really self absorbed; he's just trying too hard to be funny, which is making him look like a douche.

This. The first season of Family Guy was actually pretty funny, but then he tried to push the envelope and the jokes became offensive and unfunny. I do think the negative attention from the unfunny jokes is going to cause the Academy to find someone else to host the show next year, and that Seth will never be asked to host again. By the way, the Onion did issue an apology for their comment about the 9 year old Best Actress nominee as they realized they went too far.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. The first season of Family Guy was actually pretty funny, but then he tried to push the envelope and the jokes became offensive and unfunny. I do think the negative attention from the unfunny jokes is going to cause the Academy to find someone else to host the show next year, and that Seth will never be asked to host again. By the way, the Onion did issue an apology for their comment about the 9 year old Best Actress nominee as they realized they went too far.

Oh man, that was another thing. One of my twitter followers legit did not get why The Onion's tweet was so offensive. "Why are people so mad about something The Onion said? IT'S THE ONION! They always say stuff like this!" I don't care if it was meant to be satire; calling a CHILD a c*nt is never ok! I'm happy they issues an actual apology instead of a "sorry you were offended," like the person I unfollowed who made a fat joke about Adele and gave an "apology" like that to someone who complained.

Seth MacFarlane does a show filled with dudebro humor that sounds like a 14-year-old boy wrote everything and people are rushing to defend his material.

Because on the internet dudebro humor is the litmus test. if you can't laugh at dudebro humor you're too sensitive and don't deserve to be here. Or something.

It's infuriating too because the internet was around long before the dudebros got access to it.

But the default standard in entertainment these days is 14-28 year old males, and the lowbrow among them at that, that's who advertisers try to attract (because they spend the $$$) as so that's what commercial TV offers up, and it spreads from there. If you're not in that demographic, you're supposed to at least pretend or at least not harsh their precious buzz by complaining too loudly. If you laugh at your own degradation at all the right places they might let you play. There's a reason so many women pretend to be men on the internet (and don't even get me started about gaming forums).

(Bitter? Maybe.)

I love Seth. He has an ego the size of TX, but I love him. The thing is, he makes fun of everyone and every thing. There is nothing off limits. I like that in my comedians and comediannes. It is the essence of comedy IMO. It onlyi s an issue if you make fun of just women, or just gays, or just hispanics. When you make fun of everyone (including yourself!) then I don't get offended.

I loved Seth. The boobs song cracked me the hell up. Sock puppets? OMG. And the best part was the Sound of Music joke. I died.

I also realize that everyone has different senses of humor. I just happen to have a perverted one ;)

I skipped watching the Oscars and watched Downton Abbey instead.

The first few seasons of Family Guy were funny and good. I still get the giggles over the episode with William Shatner and Meg learning how to drive.

The show really lost me when they started making sexist and rape jokes the norm.

I've seen a lot of the comments of "It's just a joke!" or "People are sooooo easy to offend!" and it makes me shake my head. Maybe the jokes just weren't that funny.

I did sort of like the first season of Family Guy. At least, I remember laughing really hard at a couple of things. Then it came back and I realized like... that was it? Like, the whole shtick had just worn out its welcome for me. The South Park episode with the manatees nailed it.

Seth Macfarlane's Oscar jokes were just... tired facile bullshit. Like, if being 'offensive' is going to be your thing, at least be funny. That's all I want!

I didn't see the beginning but seriously...having the creator of Family Guy hosting the Oscars is like having a Kardashian hosting the Emmys.

As for all of the sexist/racist/homophobic jokes he made...again, I didn't see the boob song(I didn't even watch it until the last hour) but Family Guy and all of his other shows are full of those type of jokes. I couldn't even stomach Ted because it felt like one long episode of FG.

I mean...if people wanted someone politically correct, they would've picked Billy Crystal.

I mean...if people wanted someone politically correct, they would've picked Billy Crystal.

But would it kill them to pick someone who is either tame but actually current and funny (NPH maybe) or 'edgier' but actually funny (and actually edgy?) (like Louis CK maybe)? Like, why should the options be a.) shitty Billy Crystal or b.) shitty Seth Macfarlane?

WE CAN DO BETTER

We're gonna need details! :D

I'm reading the transcript on NYMag and it strikes me that even aside from the jokes all being at specifically women's expense (at least the ones they selected to show the misogyny, no doubt there were other jokes) it strikes me as something more appropriate for a celebrity ROAST rather than the Oscars. Granted I don't watch the Oscars ever, but have they always been this harsh about the performers? I would have thought this night of all nights they'd want to be congratulatory.

"Borat" would have been better if the guy had the courtesy to make up a fake country rather than use the name of a real one. I first found out about the movie when I saw the full page ad in the NYTimes taken out by the ACTUAL country of Kazakhstan pointing out that the movie actually has nothing to do with them at all.

The wrestling... argh. I heard him interviewed on the radio about that and didn't even like the interview!

But of course!

I took a handful of thai basil and muddled it in a glass. Added 1.5 vodka (rum could work too!) to the basil and let it infuse for a while. After about 30 mins, added juice of half of lime in it and 1 tsp of simple syrup (I used truvia to make it a skinny cocktail). Added ice and finished it off with club soda! Next time, I'm going to throw all of it into a shaker but I got lazy and stirred it :). Sooo good!

I love Seth. He has an ego the size of TX, but I love him. The thing is, he makes fun of everyone and every thing. There is nothing off limits. I like that in my comedians and comediannes. It is the essence of comedy IMO. It onlyi s an issue if you make fun of just women, or just gays, or just hispanics. When you make fun of everyone (including yourself!) then I don't get offended.

I loved Seth. The boobs song cracked me the hell up. Sock puppets? OMG. And the best part was the Sound of Music joke. I died.

I also realize that everyone has different senses of humor. I just happen to have a perverted one ;)

I have a perverted sense of humor. I also like comedians who push the envelope and make fun of anything and everything. That's not what Seth does.

Seth does make fun of women far more and in a far different way than he does other groups, which is why I mentioned before that early seasons were better than later ones. He went from genuinely funny jokes about women to cheap brohumor that panders to the worst of the young, male demographic.

For instance, take this joke (trigger warning- it's a rape gag)

V0kvdi3GGA0

Making a joke about the uselessness of Aquaman as a superhero featuring rape is a question of individual taste. Using rape that way isn't my cup of tea but I can understand that some people might still find the bit funny. However, what's the point of the last line? It wasn't funny or a matter of comedic taste- it's only purpose is to be edgy and offensive for the sake of being edgy and offensive.

I didn't watch the Oscars. Of course, I never watch them no matter who hosts. I hate award shows. I find them mind-numbingly boring. The only time I was ever tempted to suffer through an awards show was the year NPH hosted the Oscars. That's how much I love NPH. I decided to skip it though as I could find the best parts on the net the next day.

But would it kill them to pick someone who is either tame but actually current and funny (NPH maybe) or 'edgier' but actually funny (and actually edgy?) (like Louis CK maybe)? Like, why should the options be a.) shitty Billy Crystal or b.) shitty Seth Macfarlane?

WE CAN DO BETTER

Personally? I'd rather would've seen them pick Hugh Jackman again. He can sing and he's got the personality for it. Also, he was a nominee already!

I didn't see it the year Anne Hathaway hosted either, but I heard she was good.

Otherwise, who the hell is Seth McFarlene screwing because that's the only reason why I can figure that he gets all these jobs. I"m tired of him, along with Lena Dunham.

FG was okay the first season but then it turned into same jokes over and over...

Well, I guess I will be the odd duck to defend Seth Macfarlane. I saw most of the controversial numbers. I didn't find his hosting to be misogynist, or racist, or any other -ist. It was a mixed bag for me, but then again, every Oscar is a mixed bag. Some jokes were funny. Some were lame. The boob song was cute, I thought. It's pretty much what I'd expect from a musical number on the "Family Guy".

Funny thing is I never liked "Family Guy" but my (very non-misogynist, non-racist) hubby absolutely LOVES the show and is a huge fan of Seth Macfarlane. Therefore, I've seen snippets of many episodes, most of which contains some appalling, nonPC joke.

I admit Macfarlane's sense of humor is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is in line with my own humor. My husband knows he can entertain me with racist Chinese jokes that would not be out of place coming from Seth Macfarlane. It's drawn gasps from others since I am Chinese and people assume it's taboo to crack a race joke in front of them but I always enjoyed a good rice joke here and there.

That all said, I'm not surprised people were shocked and appalled at Macfarlane's antics. From his pre-Oscar interview, neither was Macfarlane. Would I have liked someone funnier? Yeah, but I can't remember the last time the Oscar was ever truly funny. Would I have liked someone hotter? Less singing? Yeah. Less nerd references? Heck, no. The best part was the nod to Star Trek!

I have a love hate type view of Family Guy. I loved the earlier seasons, now I don't care much for the show. I do love the episodes that focus on religion and make fun of fundie types and Stewie is my favorite. I remember some interview where Seth said that he will not let Family Guy have a long run like The Simpsons. I hope that does happen.

To be honest, I think Seth Macfarlene is tired of Family Guy. I watch both Family Guy and his other show, American Dad, and he definitely seems to be pouring more of his creative energy into American Dad. With Family Guy he is stuck in a little formulaic box, and even if he wanted to change things up, he can't (see Meg taking back her criticism of the family). Its so main stream and such a fixture of the Fox lineup he can't change things or have it evolve.

On his other show, he does whatever the hell he wants. And, it works. His jokes aren't nearly as racist, transphobic or misogynistic on American Dad. He gets to actively criticize view points, and his characters are allowed to grow and change. (see season 1 Stan vs. current Stan, then look at Peter- who hasn't learned anything.) This is definitely his more liberal show.

I didn't watch the Oscars. Of course, I never watch them no matter who hosts. I hate award shows. I find them mind-numbingly boring. The only time I was ever tempted to suffer through an awards show was the year NPH hosted the Oscars. That's how much I love NPH. I decided to skip it though as I could find the best parts on the net the next day.

NPH has never hosted the Oscars, and has stated publicly that he doesn't want to (which sucks, because he would be great). I think you're thinking of the Tonys, which he has hosted twice.

I watch Family Guy and I do think that Seth's in a bit of a rut. Most of the criticisms here are spot on.

I thought the first few episodes of the Cleveland Show were pretty racist. I can't decide if Seth / The Writers changed or I just stopped being shocked by it.

The thing is, I'm wholly unsurprised with his performance (and the criticism) at the Oscars. I think Seth can be funny, but not usually in any insightful or satiric way. He's mostly funny because he pushes boundaries. And he pushes boundaries in a pretty normative (but extreme) fashion. That's exactly what we saw at the Oscars (based on what I've read, didn't watch it, don't really care to).

I didn't expect it to be a great show (although I'll be honest, I almost never watch awards show... I think the last time I watched the oscars it was the year they did a tribute to Jimmy Stewart). I wasn't disappointed.

Someone asked who Seth was sleeping with... I don't think that's it. But I did read Wil Wheaton posting a few years back about the incredibly over the top party Seth threw at his house. So it could just be he throws really good parties. :)

Well, I guess I will be the odd duck to defend Seth Macfarlane. I saw most of the controversial numbers. I didn't find his hosting to be misogynist, or racist, or any other -ist. It was a mixed bag for me, but then again, every Oscar is a mixed bag. Some jokes were funny. Some were lame. The boob song was cute, I thought. It's pretty much what I'd expect from a musical number on the "Family Guy".

I'm there with you. I actually really enjoyed his hosting - and I've earned a reputation amongst my circle of friends as the token feminist; they tend to roll their eyes and go, "Here she goes again..." whenever I get started on something. I don't even like any of Seth's usual work - I can't stand Family Guy or American Dad and thought Ted was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

I guess I just don't understand the shock and dismay that Seth Macfarlane hosted the Oscars and acted like....Seth Macfarlane. I mean, what'd you think you were gonna get?

That being said, I'd love to see Ellen Degeneres host again. Tina and Amy would kill it, though! I hope they're on for next year.

A straight white man with power making misogynistic jokes, and getting paid for it, is not edgy;. Jesus, it is done every single day. Not making misogynistic jokes would show some creativity. (And I don't care - jokes making light of domestic violence, and rape...not funny. ) I think it is almost more perverse the way things have been and seem to be continuing to go to not find racist, or misogynistic jokes unfunny. Rape jokes perpetuate rape culture. Full stop.

Personally? I'd rather would've seen them pick Hugh Jackman again. He can sing and he's got the personality for it. Also, he was a nominee already!

I didn't see it the year Anne Hathaway hosted either, but I heard she was good.

Otherwise, who the hell is Seth McFarlene screwing because that's the only reason why I can figure that he gets all these jobs. I"m tired of him, along with Lena Dunham.

FG was okay the first season but then it turned into same jokes over and over...

Anne Hathaway at least somewhat tried, James Franco was horrid and that's what people remember from that year. Worst hosting job since I started watching the Oscars many moons ago. Jackman was good, but I would love to have Jon Stewart back again.

I found the earlier episodes of Family Guy pretty funny and I still get some enjoyment out of Stewie and Brian's interactions with each other. I don't think he's exactly a misogynist, I think he goes for cheap, sexist laughs because they're easy. His jokes are often sexist but I don't think he actually hates women. That's not to say I'm okay with the sexism, because I'm not.

I detest all of his shows so I figured I would hate his hosting. I guess I didn't realize how much. It was terrible. The boob song was awful, mainly because it's a reminder of how actresses often have to get ahead in the industry. Plus, as I read this morning, four of the movies/actresses mentioned had their nude scenes because of rape scenes.

As for who he's screwing, he's dating the Khaleesi. Poor young thing.

To be fair, it's not just women who get ahead in Hollywood via the casting couch. Not by a LONG shot. Men are exploited too. These actors (male and female) are used when they're young and naive. They're desperate to break out of the cycle of auditions and bit parts and people with power take advantage of that. Then when they do become famous, they are known in the industry as someone who is willing to trade sex for roles and more and more people take advantage because the actors don't know any different. They have no self-esteem and think they won't get cast without sex.

Eventually some of them have the power to break free from the cycle, but many don't. Sometimes actors who start out legit and start to slide into obscurity become desperate enough to trade sex for parts or money. It's a pretty sad, sordid business.

Archived