IGNORED

Drawing/sketching

LilMissMetaphor

Yeah, I think what I should have done was draw the whole outline first and make sure the face shape as a whole was right before I got into the details. I jumped right into shading and eyes and then worked from there. I'll check out that link, thanks.

Yeah, I think what I should have done was draw the whole outline first and make sure the face shape as a whole was right before I got into the details. I jumped right into shading and eyes and then worked from there. I'll check out that link, thanks.

Let me know if it's hard to understand, I could't remember what the technique I was trying to look up was called, so I wound up with an example without clear instructions. :oops:

Another technique, if you're interested, that I personally really like to use for still lifes, is instead of drawing the object to draw the patches of tone that make up the object. For example: http://gettingfitwithchad.files.wordpre ... -glass.jpg

You can see really easily how that glass of water can be broken down into a large dark area, a a mid-tone area, a light area, etc. By drawing those areas together and not drawing the whole "cup", it helps you achieve a more realistic effect when shading.

If my advice is uncalled for just tell me to stop. I get enthusiastic talking about this stuff, so I might try to give tips when they aren't really welcome. :oops:

I appreciate the links :) I found the one on perspective really interesting and it made me want to dig out my drawing stuff yesterday!

• 5 months later...

I apologize for those who are sick of the many Duggar posts, but I made wallpapers with pictures of Young!Michelle, Jill and Jana because I have too much time. Jill's and Jana's are sort of supposed to show their personality

sltvttzu.jpg

f48nn4yk.jpg

dg9dzgm7.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was browsing through hobbies and found this thread. There is some really good work shown here! I wish so much I could share the drawing my 17 y/o son's girlfriend drew him for Christmas but he is rabidly refusing to 'share' so I just have to describe it. First, It is absolutely amazingly drawn. Done completey in ink. It's barbarian Jesus fighting a unicycle wielding elephant. It may be the single coolest thing i have ever seen!

• 3 months later...

Drawing is in my blood. I've been doodlin and doodlin ever since I was old enough to hold a crayon.

I tend to draw my toons from WoW, or my player characters from the Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Like this guy:

f4YSlp.png

This is my main Horde Toon, a troll druid named Evinrude (because they can turn into bats and bats are my fav animal). I was feeling kind of goofy and when I drew this I had just recently escaped the hell that is levelling in Outland and gotten to WoTLK content. So I thought to myself "hey he's originally from the tropics how would he cope with the temperature dropping way below what he's used to?". So bam, troll bundled up like a five-year old on a snow day.

I also sometimes try and draw things that are not "headshot facing left". One time I decided to recreate a map from an old Donkey Kong Country game:

jSxQIY.png

Which I think came out pretty okay, considering I'd never done anything like this before. I even toyed with the idea of doing this with every single map from that game until I realized that I really, really hated the process.

• 9 months later...

I am a professional digital artist. I use Photoshop mostly...

Here is the recent painting I did. Took me about a month to finish. I do a lot of photorealism and fantasy stuff... in this instance, this was the story behind the image:

"A beautiful day, beneath the shade of her pavilion. The heavy tome nearby subtly aflame with the dark magic of pyromanic magicks. Her pet dragon, Lusarth, slumbers nearby... She holds the ceremonial dagger behind her back, gazing at the beautiful fields before her... and casually sets it aflame."

I like how it turned out. =)

...and, no, I do not mind my real name being on there.

Casual_Pyromancy.jpg

Yeah... wish it was more active! Even as a child, I loooooved to draw and sketch! It is therapeutic.

I highly approve of the recent trend in adult coloring as a means of also using art as therapy. =)

Personally I hate coloring but I have come to respect our coloring minions and admire their work. I prefer painting,  I love colour stains, nuances etc, I have  difficulties dealing with lines, borders and the likes.

Do watercolors! All the "issues" you described are good things with this media: Stains and nuances are desirable, and easily obtained. And forget lines and borders with it: Water flows. =)

I have recently tried watercolours, with lots of satisfaction too :), my favourites are still oils and acrylics though. I can make do with gouache too but I like it only when it's still wet, drying it becomes too opaque and indefinite and I don't like having to varnish it with transparent spray. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my kidlets pictures

12920391_10153486988231451_7228741838591

daddy pirate in a thunderstorm with horizontal rain ;)

pirate daddy and his ship

12924426_10153486988321451_3010521826238

an angry person

1929000_10153486988421451_57759713352865

12931144_10153486988356451_6980724526213

• 2 weeks later...

ok usually I am crap about drawing humans, but my kid asked me to draw someone. well half half the face turned out alright, so I am posting half the page. and I have drawn it with my oil pastels that are quite thick and hard to correct so it was quite a challenge, but as said I like half of it xD

image20160414_172124295t.jpg

@morriIt's okay to make mistakes. =)

From what I see of the half you have show, it is quite excellent. =)

The other half isnt looking as good ;) so I leave you thinking it is excellent ;)(ok

Spoiler

image20160414_170117504.jpg

heres the full one,what looks like a giant wrinkle is just a small fold lol. and the eye is screwed up xD

I do like the hair and neck though ;)

Archived