IGNORED

The crooked cross stitch

formergothardite

How many threads am I supposed to be using? :oops: I might have been using six threads.

It depends on the size fabric you are using. If your pattern doesn't specify some common choices are two or three strands for 14 count fabric, two strands for 18 count, and three or four strands for 11 count.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have managed to misplace my poor Santa, so hopefully I will find him before next Christmas and finish creating my fucked up Christmas ornament.

I have managed to misplace my poor Santa, so hopefully I will find him before next Christmas and finish creating my fucked up Christmas ornament.

He has gone to the home for abused cross-stitch :cry:

Remember a cross-stitch is not just for Christmas :naughty:

• 1 month later...

I love cross stitching. If you find him, you could freehand a hula hoop around him with backstitching and he could be playing with the toys while he delivers them. Or rip out the belt and everything above or just the stitches below and redo it.

If you're brand new to cross stitching, you might consider using perforated paper for a couple of small projects. The holes are bigger and the paper is stiffer so you can get used to it. I'm teaching my older two kids to stitch now and they've both done one project on perforated paper. That stuff is also great for ornaments...just stitch it up, trim the paper down to about two holes away from your stitching (or in a shape around it, whatever you want), put a ribbon through a hole at the top and stick some felt on the back. Instant ornament with no sewing and no messy back of the stitching showing. Once you're comfortable with the technique, you can move on to Aida and then to evenweave/linen if you want. :)

• 6 months later...
I'll try and get a picture of this soon. So right after Christmas I had this delusion that I could cross stitch and I was going to make one Christmas ornament each month so by next Christmas I would have 12 new ornaments. Years from now when I am long gone my great-great-grandchildren would hang these on the tree and marvel at my talent. So I found 12 easy cross stitch patterns that supposedly could be done by small children, got all the supplies and sat down to work.

Step 1: threading a needle. That shit is hard. 15 minutes later I finally have that thing threaded.

Step 2: I was supposed to center this thing or something, but I got rather frustrated with that step so I kind of skipped it.

Step 3: start making rows of x. This was tedious.

Step 4: have an actual child come over and point out that Santa's body is crooked. Ponder ripping it out. Realize that I suck at this and then give up.

Step 5: try to ignore it sitting over there in the corner a constant reminder of yet another thing I have failed at.

Your description sounded worse than your picture looked. I don't think it would be that hard to rip out but if that freaks you out, just start another one and go back to Santa later.

PS...Sorry that I laughed! Diet Coke still dripping from my nose. :lol:

• 2 years later...
On 29/05/2013 at 4:21 PM, formergothardite said:

Did you ever manage to find him and is there a picture of the finished Santa?

Archived