IGNORED

Mother of 11. Govt. Building her a house.

OkToBeTakei

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... s-benefits

This story is causing the usual uproar these stories cause in the UK. The above article is fairly balanced. Must look at the Daily Malicious (Mail) for the real scoop

:lol:

Posting this snip cos' it made me very much laugh out loud.

Cases like these form a staple ingredient of cheap newsprint. It would be easy to imagine Britain's housing estates to be swarming with the offspring of the hyperfecund, with their mums bent over the kitchen sink, afraid to fart in case another one pops out unexpectedly.

Michelle Duggar?

Cases like these form a staple ingredient of cheap newsprint. It would be easy to imagine Britain's housing estates to be swarming with the offspring of the hyperfecund, with their mums bent over the kitchen sink, afraid to fart in case another one pops out unexpectedly.

Michelle Duggar?

I am certainly not finger wagging at that woman (who continued to have child after child without the means to adequately house them). I believe strongly that she ought to be adequately housed but it's the sense of entitlement that fucking kills me. I cripple myself to pay a mortgage and the rest and frankly, I can't afford another child. So I don't have one. Simple really.

Hyperfecund is my new favourite word.

She's 37 with 2 grandchildren? Sounds like they need to find some hobbies. And I agree with the article's author. Its not the state's business how many children she and her partner have. But on the other hand, its not the state's job to rescue them from themselves, is it? Fair is fair.

Hmm, I have to try very hard not to become my Mail-reading father-in-law when I read these sort of stories. I live on a mixed street of privately-owned and social housing. We are buying our house on a mortgage and my husband and I both work and have 2 kids. Some of my neighbours in the social housing have larger families (in fact there is one family spread over 2 houses) and while some work, some do not. I try not to let this wind me up too much by thinking that when I've paid my mortgage off, I will own a decent asset outright, and I will be able to pass that onto my kids eventually. But I have been known to mutter bad words when my neighbours get all their home maintenance done for them, and we have mould on our walls because we can't afford to repair the damp-proofing.

I am certainly not finger wagging at that woman (who continued to have child after child without the means to adequately house them). I believe strongly that she ought to be adequately housed but it's the sense of entitlement that fucking kills me. I cripple myself to pay a mortgage and the rest and frankly, I can't afford another child. So I don't have one. Simple really.

Hyperfecund is my new favourite word.

But if you had another and lost your house you'd be eligible for a council flat. So it's not that you can't afford another one, it's that you don't want to drop your standard of living in order to have one. They're two different things.

I see that this is not some custom designed property built just for this family. It is two semi-detached properties that would have been built as public housing anyway that are being kncoked together. And if the family moves out they can be divided again. So not much different to housing two smaller families in two seperate houses really.

Quick question though. Will she have to pay rent for this accomodation? Will the rent be proportional to the size/location if the property? Or is rent subsidized/means tested etc?

The thing I always think with stories like this is that even if the mom has made some less than ideal decisions, the kids don't deserve to be punished for it. They didn't do anything to cause the situation, and they deserve a decent standard of living.

I read the word "hyperfecund" as "hyperfecal" at first, which would be a little scary. :o

Hmm, I have to try very hard not to become my Mail-reading father-in-law when I read these sort of stories. I live on a mixed street of privately-owned and social housing. We are buying our house on a mortgage and my husband and I both work and have 2 kids. Some of my neighbours in the social housing have larger families (in fact there is one family spread over 2 houses) and while some work, some do not. I try not to let this wind me up too much by thinking that when I've paid my mortgage off, I will own a decent asset outright, and I will be able to pass that onto my kids eventually. But I have been known to mutter bad words when my neighbours get all their home maintenance done for them, and we have mould on our walls because we can't afford to repair the damp-proofing.

Just want to suggest that if you can afford one, a dehumidifier will help keep mould at bay. My niece had a big problem with mould in bathroom that was solved by using a dehumidifier. Maybe it will help you as a temporary measure?

I see that this is not some custom designed property built just for this family. It is two semi-detached properties that would have been built as public housing anyway that are being kncoked together. And if the family moves out they can be divided again. So not much different to housing two smaller families in two seperate houses really.

Quick question though. Will she have to pay rent for this accomodation? Will the rent be proportional to the size/location if the property? Or is rent subsidized/means tested etc?

Do me best and hope wiser heads than mine can add to it from the English perspective.

1. Yes, but this will probably be covered by housing benefit if no-one in the family is working or has savings.

2. Unlikely if you have a private landlord, who will take the chance to fill their boots. If you're with a RSL (registered social landlord) the rent is likely to be fairer but there are other issues.

3. Yes, subsidised by housing benefit (which can be paid to people renting privately or with RSLs) In Scotland it's laid down in law that previous place of residence or income must NOT be taken into account when allocating council housing. Priority must legally go to people living in unsatisfactory conditions (house exacerbating a disability, houses which aren't wind or watertight, you know the sort of thing), large families, overcrowded families, and those who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Local authorities can add extra categories (key workers, veterans etc) as long as it doesn't affect the previous group.

Archived