IGNORED

Vision Forum's Magic Tree House Rip-off?

merrily

I have to admit, I love those Magic Tree House books when I was a kid. And now, ladies and gentlemen, Vision Forum will churn out its own Godly copies of those pagan books. http://www.visionforum.com/browse/produ ... fault.aspx

Even the titles follow the same format!! :? Next they'll turn out a Godly Potter series.

Adventures in Odyssey have been around for a long time. I've heard a lot of those stories before and I'm confused as to why it says it isn't technically time travel because in my memory it was time travel.

I loved the Magic Tree House when I was a kid, Those books don't seem like a lesser version of them to me. They just seem unoriginal in general in the world of children's literature.

Adventures in Odyssey have been around for a long time. I've heard a lot of those stories before and I'm confused as to why it says it isn't technically time travel because in my memory it was time travel.

What's the problem with time travel? Is that evil as well?

I'm not sure why Vision Forum says that there isn't time travel. Adventures in Odyssey has been around since the 80's and the time machine in there uses the power of a person's imagination to send them back in time. Unless these newer strories have changed that, but who knows why they would think a time machine was evil.

Time travel is evil because it's science fiction, and science fiction is ob da debbil. At least, that's what I always heard growing up. Didn't stop me from reading it, though.

My little brother used to LOVE Magic Treehouse books. I was way older than the target market by the time they came out, but I still thought they were ok if I had nothing better to read. I wish the fundies would just leave them alone.

I'm not sure why Vision Forum says that there isn't time travel. Adventures in Odyssey has been around since the 80's and the time machine in there uses the power of a person's imagination to send them back in time. Unless these newer strories have changed that, but who knows why they would think a time machine was evil.

I have vague memories of hearing that time travel is satanic....but i can't remember the damn reason! We were a scifi nerd family, so we had the time travel! LOL

My oldest daughter is reading a Magic Tree House book right now. She loves it.

My parents never did the magic/sci-fi was evil thing.

The radio Adventures IN Odyssey? It is really pretty darn good radio. But then I"m a radio nerd.

Having just enjoyed the Community episode about Inspec-ti-con, I'm chuckling mightly at the idea that VF considers time travel, Dr. Who, etc., to be dangerous influences. But then I stop chuckling and start grumblings because stupidity like this is what gives the rest of us Christians a bad name.

I always liked the radio Adventures in Odyssey, too, MJB. These are new books based off the radio program. But there was time travel.

I listened to the radio show Adventures in Odyssey too when I was growing up. The Imagination Station was a booth that a kid could go into and they could have an adventure using their imagination. It was a way for the show to explore different times in history since the actually setting of Odyssey was in contemporary times. I admit that at first glance the format looks similar to Magic Tree House (or the A-Z Mysteries) but the idea of the Imagination Station probably dates back to the 80s.

Here's a wiki link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_in_Odyssey

Based on my public library experience serving students from local private Christian schools, the following are verboten: time travel, science fiction/fantasy (other than the Narnia series), talking animals (no Redwall series!), and of course anything wizardry/witchcraft related (Harry Potter, etc.)

The radio Adventures IN Odyssey? It is really pretty darn good radio. But then I"m a radio nerd.

Having just enjoyed the Community episode about Inspec-ti-con, I'm chuckling mightly at the idea that VF considers time travel, Dr. Who, etc., to be dangerous influences. But then I stop chuckling and start grumblings because stupidity like this is what gives the rest of us Christians a bad name.

But some of these fundie girls seems to like Doctor Who, and there is a lot of time travelling there, the LIAS girls at least and their father works at VF, im confused..

Huh. Sevy and her friends are all hooked on the Magic Treehouse books, and this.....just, I don't know. I do recall reading Frank Peretti books when I was younger, some kind of Indiana Jones deal, and those were not too bad, albeit a bit "preachy". I'm not sure about Vision Forum, whether or not they would go the slightly preachy route a la Peretti, or shovel it down your throat. Either way, I'm staying away from those books. Even if my brother and I enjoyed Odyssey as children (anyone remember McGee and Me? those were awesome- that I might allow Sevy to watch if I ever found any on dvd).

I'm surprised that the creators of Indiana Jones, Mary Pope Osborne and the creators of Legos haven't sued these pandering hypocritical dumbshits yet. Why are they trying to Christianize non-fundie material? Don't people learn more about their religion if they want to; not because their cult mentally forces them to chose plagiarized Christian books out of shame so they won't feel guilty that they're reading books that don't have a reference to Christianity in every single bloody chapter? Is there any way that we can show these companies that VF's plagiarizing (sp?) them?

They used to give away Adventures in Odyssey cassette tapes in Chik-Fil-A kid's meals. Should have been a give-away, really. :?

My students love Magic Treehouse! It seems like a dumb ripoff. I wonder how one gets away from sending kids back in time without either magic or science! I wonder if the plucky little christians go back in time to witness to the heathen vikings or romans,.

Book1

Cousins Beth and Patrick love to visit Mr. Whittaker’s ice cream shop in the small city of Odyssey, but one Monday morning they find something more exciting than even a cherry-topped banana split. When he’s not dipping desserts and mixing milkshakes, Mr. Whittaker is often tinkering in his basement with one of his many inventions, and this morning he introduces the cousins to his ultimate contraption — the Imagination Station.

In Voyage with the Vikings (Book 1 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will join Beth and Patrick for a wild ride to 1000 A.D. and meet Erik the Red and Leif Ericson. Mr. Whittaker needs the cousins to bring back a Sunstone, but they’re not sure what one looks like. Even if they find one, can they dodge angry Vikings and stampeding reindeer to make it back to safety?

Book 2

Cousins Beth and Patrick are in ancient Rome! Mr. Whittaker’s Imagination Station has them searching for a special silver cup. They’re not exactly sure why, but they need to find the cup before the new moon so that someone named Albert won’t get into more trouble. But right now, they have plenty of trouble to worry about themselves.

In Attack at the Arena (Book 2 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will travel to Ancient Rome and meet the wise monk Telemachus who is horrified by the gladiatorial games. Will they find the missing silver cup? And why is Telemachus so intent on travelling to the arena?

Book 3

The strange knight who keeps popping in and out of the Imagination Station has given cousins Patrick and Beth a message: They must search for the golden tablet of Kublai Khan. They don’t know why, and they don’t know who this Kublai person is, but they’re ready for the adventure.

In Peril in the Palace (Book 3 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will zoom back to China in the year 1271. When Mongol warriors kidnap Patrick and Beth they must throw themselves on the mercy of a Venetian traveler named Marco Polo. They’re scared about entering Shangdu palace and meeting the great Kublai Khan, but things get even stickier when the ruler takes offense at their gifts and message of Christianity. Will they survive his wrath and find the golden tablet?

Book 4

Cousins Beth and Patrick finally meet Albert, the fellow they’ve been trying to help ever since that first Monday morning in Mr. Whittaker’s basement. But Albert isn’t out of trouble yet. Somehow the two friends must sort friend from foe, traitor from teammate — and they need to do it before the new moon, when Lord Darkthorn will return to imprison Albert.

In Revenge of the Red Knight (Book 4 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will dodge angry knights and a traitorous henchman as they follow Patrick and Beth in their quest to save Albert. It seems that all the treasures they’ve been traveling history to return are actually connected with this medieval castle, but now they’re being accused of stealing! Can they clear their name and figure out who to trust?

Book 5

A giant, a Philistine army, and a stone-slinging shepherd boy — cousins Beth and Patrick must be in the Holy Land, 1000 B.C. They need to find Master Hugh, the villain who stole Mr. Whittaker’s family ring and is wreaking his malice throughout history.

In Showdown with the Shepherd (Book 5 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will help Beth and Patrick track Master Hugh and find out how he’s helping the Philistines. There are rumors of a secret weapon even greater than the braggartly giant who keeps taunting the Israelites, but the giant seems bad enough. Will anyone have the faith to take his challenge and fight for the glory of God? And will the cousins be able to stop Master Hugh from using his advanced technological knowledge?

Book 6

Cousins Patrick and Beth are still searching for Master Hugh, the dastardly villain who is trying to change history. The Imagination Station takes the kids to Plymouth Colony, where relations are tense between the Indians and the Pilgrims, and Squanto, the best diplomat between the two cultures, is missing.

In Problems in Plymouth (Book 6 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will dash behind Patrick and Beth as they try to survive Indians, solve a mystery about missing muskets, and catch up with Master Hugh. Could the misplaced medieval malefactor actually change history? Will the first Thanksgiving feast become the first Pilgrim-Indian war?

Book 7

Cousins Patrick and Beth have been on some pretty wild adventures as they solved the mystery about Albert and tracked through history in search of Master Hugh, but they’ve never been in a pyramid until now.

In Secret of the Prince’s Tomb (Book 7 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will take a trip to Ancient Egypt with Patrick and Beth, learning about pyramids, mummies, and a nation of slaves. The cousins don’t believe in curses, but all the same, it’s a little eerie to be sneaking around a pyramid in search of a secret. Can they find their way past the traps and out of the maze so that they can bring a message of hope to the enslaved Hebrews?

Book 8

When Patrick and Beth find themselves floating near a tropical island, Patrick is excited by the prospect of a vacation. Unfortunately, this is a cannibal island, and his dreams of hammocks and cold lemonade might just have to wait.

In Battle for Cannibal Island (Book 8 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will travel to the Fiji Islands, where idol-worshipping cannibals are burning Christian villages. Angry natives aren’t the only danger, though. Add them to escaping convicts and a terrible storm, and Patrick and Beth have a recipe for disaster. Can they stick with missionary James Calvert and survive the compounding perils?

Book 9

Cousins Patrick and Beth have been to Ancient Rome, Medieval England, and Plymouth Colony, but this next adventure is a bit more modern — and, if possible, a bit more dangerous. It’s World War II, the Germans have invaded Holland, and Resistance workers are trying to sabotage Nazi plans and hide Jews. That’s where the cousins come in.

In Escape to the Hiding Place (Book 9 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will pedal the streets of occupied Amsterdam on wooden bicycle wheels and hide from Gestapo sneaks and German soldiers. Patrick and Beth are assigned to carry a Jewish baby to Corrie ten Boom’s hiding place, but the Germans seem to be everywhere: the woods, the roads, the city, and even the sky. Can the cousins make the trip without being discovered? And will the hiding place still be safe when they get there?

Book 10

When Mr. Whittaker tells Patrick and Beth that they get to travel to Ireland in the Imagination Station, their first thoughts are of leprechauns and shamrocks. But that’s not what the real Ireland is like. The real Ireland in the fifth century is a place of evil druids and slave-makers who are happy to see a pair of strong healthy kids arrive.

In Challenge on the Hill of Fire (Book 10 in the Imagination Station series), your kids will follow cousins Patrick and Beth through the mists and rolling hills of Ireland in search of the bishop, the only man who might befriend them. It turns out that his name is also Patrick, and the Druids want him, too, because he’s preaching about the one true God. Will the cousins find refuge with him, or are they all headed toward the greatest danger of their lives?

Oh, and also a nifty little disclaimer

The Imagination Station books don’t use magic, and they’re not technically time-travel (though it sure feels like it). What they do use is some creative inventing and God’s gift to children — a fertile imagination.

Adventures in Odessey, hey? When I was a kid, and it aired on the radio daily, it was considered too "worldly" for our fundie family. If I remember right (when I sneakily listened sometimes when my parents weren't around) there is a lot of boy-girl drama in the storyline.

But the main characters are cousins :?

The radio show was about a town called Odyssey and in particular a man named Mr. Whitacker who owned an ice cream shop/hang out for kids called Whit's End. The show itself often revolved around the children of the town learning various lesson--often with a lot of humor. It had a very wide range of regular characters and there were several romantic subplots throughout the show. Some of the episodes were silly and comedic, some were quite dark and intense and others fell somewhere in between. I remember as a kid that some of the episodes were too scary for me to listen to alone (the Dr. Blackgaard episodes, for example). From the summaries it looks like the main characters in the books were invented specifically for the books.

Archived