IGNORED

Toolishness: The Story of Vision Forum in 2012

hoipolloi

Doug Phillips is a tool. He is a living slashfic* and he made the slashiest slash movie about his manly men's adventures. You could show this at a yaoi* convention and fangirls would squee.

* "Slashfic" = from "Kirk/Spock", pronounced "Kirk-slash-Spock", a fan fiction where purportedly straight male characters have a romance and/or sex.

* "Yaoi" = from an older Japanese term for comics (manga) featuring male-on-male romance, now an English loanword for anime, manga, and fan fiction and art featuring male/male romance and/or sex. Ironically, the most popular Japanese term for these works is "BL" or "Boys' Love", so the languages have swapped loanwords.

* Doug Phillips is a tool.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two thoughts:

1. It made me sad to watch the Hazardous Journeys segment, realizing that the girls and women in these families won't have the chance to have the same kinds of sweeping adventures...the kinds that make you feel like a hero. I'm not particularly the extreme outdoorsy/hiking type, but whenever I watch scenes in movies like the LOTR trilogy where you see the band of adventurers climbing a mountain with stirring music in the background, I have this emotional longing to be like them. Although I'll probably never do something quite so epic, I know that I theoretically could find/make an adventure. How sad to think of SAHDs wanting adventures that they aren't allowed to have.

2. Swing music at the end - it's not like they would approve of the dancing to go along with it, would they?

If it makes you feel better, the "sweeping adventures" are available to anyone with a bank account in the secular world. They are advertising vacation packages as "journeys" when, in fact,the Amazon adventure took place in air conditioned luxury. I still don't understand the "boys only " part though.

I seriously thought that was James Franco in 127 Hours at first.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw the resemblance.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

If it makes you feel better, the "sweeping adventures" are available to anyone with a bank account in the secular world. They are advertising vacation packages as "journeys" when, in fact,the Amazon adventure took place in air conditioned luxury. I still don't understand the "boys only " part though.

Oh yes, definitely agreed that there's not much legit adventure in their tours. But the girls aren't even supposed to even aspire to that as an idea because it's not "feminine".

I'm pretty awkward, so climbing actually dangerous precipices is probably a bad idea for me. But I could handle one of the "hazardous journeys" as well as the Merry Manly Men of VF!

Archived