IGNORED

Any fanfiction authors?

AtroposHeart

I'm coming up to my ten-year anniversary of writing fanfic in May :D Most of my horrid old stuff is deleted, but I do write for The Millennium Trilogy, How I Met Your Mother and used to write for Chicago, and I have a Philadelphia Story fic in progress. I'm crazyforkate on fanfiction.net and AO3. However, I've more or less abandoned fanfiction for my current novel project, college, and various other things.

Yup! Mostly slash, and I read in a lot more fandoms than I write in. (Short list- Star Wars (prequels), Transformers (stop snickering, the fandom is awesome :) ), HP, Trek, Final Fantasy (6 and 8, occasionally X), and a few others I'm probably forgetting.)

Yes.

I'm working on a Game of Thrones ff at the moment. And by working I mean finding excuses not to write anything. But it is already quite long, so...

Yes.

I'm working on a Game of Thrones ff at the moment. And by working I mean finding excuses not to write anything. But it is already quite long, so...

So just like GRR then.

So just like GRR then.

Well no, not THAT long. But the procrastinating part, yes, I suppose.

(It's rather funny because Martin is one of the biggest anti-fanfiction people out there. For me, I'm not trying to imitate him; my stories tend to be character-driven and weak on plot.)

GRR has been the only anti-fan fiction person who articulated reasons that made sense to me as to why this practice isn't the best practice in writing.

However, I do think its an interesting writing exercise, when writing established characters and locations. It gives people the ability to really focus on the writing part of writing.

I used to write Babysitters Club and Harry Potter. But I don't anymore.

GRR has been the only anti-fan fiction person who articulated reasons that made sense to me as to why this practice isn't the best practice in writing.

However, I do think its an interesting writing exercise, when writing established characters and locations. It gives people the ability to really focus on the writing part of writing.

I used to write Babysitters Club and Harry Potter. But I don't anymore.

Personally, I only write FF based on shows or movies, not books. I feel more comfortable developing something that may only have been shown in a visual medium, not set down in writing already. I haven't even read more than the first of Martin's ASOIAF novels (and I flipped through it, it wasn't really my style). I'm working off the HBO show.

There's an assumption that fanfiction writers are just youngsters who are practicing until they get wise enough or good enough to invent their "own" work. And there's truth to that, to be sure, especially when you encounter the 13-year-olds who post their 300-word brain farts about how deeply in love Harry and Ron are and ask people to be kind, pls, omg, it's my VERY FIRST STORY EVARRR! But there are plenty of us who did it the other way around, read everything under the sun and churned out heaps of original work when we were kids, but as adults, decided to pay tribute to a universe or a writer whose characters we enjoyed. Whatever. Art is derivative. To me it seems that a published author should invest less energy in telling others to keep away from his characters and stories and more energy on actually writing them himself. It smacks of fear.

I write fanfiction, but I keep it to myself. It's a way for me to explore the world another author has created that I really enjoyed reading about/watching. When I was younger I used to post my fanfiction online, but I realized that I was really writing it for me, and not for reviews or other readers. Fanfiction is a place where I can practice specific skills in my writing (description, writing an argument, building a romance, writing an action sequence) without having to create a whole story. Having pre-established characters and setting allows me to hone in on exactly what I want to work on. It's also nice to not have to worry about establishing a lot of background when I'm busy or stressed and I just want to write something for the pure enjoyment of writing. I can quickly dive into a pre-made world to write.

If I'm trying to figure out a character in a piece of my original fiction, I tend to plop them into a fanfic so that I can see how they interact within the constraints of world and characters the fanfiction is based on. It gives me a good sense of how fleshed out my original character is.

If I'm ever published, I would be delighted if someone wrote fanfiction based on my work. I think that it's a high complement to the original author. Their world and characters were so engaging that the fans wanted to spend more time in/with them.

To me it seems that a published author should invest less energy in telling others to keep away from his characters and stories and more energy on actually writing them himself. It smacks of fear.

Except that if they lose their copyright due to fanfic, it really will infringe upon their income. You know, that stuff they need to buy food?

Except that if they lose their copyright due to fanfic, it really will infringe upon their income. You know, that stuff they need to buy food?

Thanks for the sarcasm, but I'm saying that a writer frothing at the mouth about how much he hates fanfic is not likely to dissuade the vast majority of people who are determined to write said fanfic anyway.

I just think their creative energies could be better spent. Especially since most of these people have managers or a legal team whose job it is to look after these things.

I like what Diana Gabaldon says on her blog:

You know, I’m very flattered that some of you enjoy the books so much that you feel inspired to engage with the writing in a more personal way than most readers do. Both for legal and personal reasons, though, I’m not comfortable with fan-fiction based on any of my work, and request that you do not write it, do not send it to me, and do not publish it, whether in print or on the web. Thank you very much for your consideration.

It's a clear and polite expression of her position, and she doesn't go on and on about it.

I read fanfic but on Misfits fanfic so far. One of rtf he b e st stories i have ever read was a long Misfits Simon/Nathan slash. I was flabbergasted at how great the characterization was. Now unfortunately the author has gone on to Santa from The Guardians slash.

Ive written very idd fanfic about Martha Stewart but t hat is sort of a s p ecialized audience.

• 4 months later...
Yup! Mostly slash, and I read in a lot more fandoms than I write in. (Short list- Star Wars (prequels), Transformers (stop snickering, the fandom is awesome :) ), HP, Trek, Final Fantasy (6 and 8, occasionally X), and a few others I'm probably forgetting.)

Did you ever write for the Master/Apprentice Archive. That was one of the first fandoms I got into several years ago. HP and SW:TPM were the first, actually. :)

Now I write mainly for the Finder Series (Yaoi). ^^ It has the best art ever, and a pretty awesome story.

• 5 weeks later...

I used to write it a lot when I was younger. My ff.net account dates back to 2002 when NC-17 and original fiction was still allowed on the site. I read a lot more than I wrote though.

My argument against fanfiction, even though I enjoy it, is that it can kind of ruin the original works for me. I read A LOT of Harry Potter fanfiction that covered years 6 and 7 before the books came out. When the books came out I had an idea of what I wanted based on some great fanfics I read. I like the outcomes and storylines of some of them better-probably because they were written with an older tone and were more adult.

I used to write it a lot when I was younger. My ff.net account dates back to 2002 when NC-17 and original fiction was still allowed on the site. I read a lot more than I wrote though.

My argument against fanfiction, even though I enjoy it, is that it can kind of ruin the original works for me. I read A LOT of Harry Potter fanfiction that covered years 6 and 7 before the books came out. When the books came out I had an idea of what I wanted based on some great fanfics I read. I like the outcomes and storylines of some of them better-probably because they were written with an older tone and were more adult.

See, and that's one of the things I *like* about fanfiction. It lets people re-write a story to see what other options were if it wasn't constrained by "Must be publishable/marketable as appealing to X demographic"- so you get gay characters, you get endings that aren't happy, you get stories without required love triangles or heck, without love interests. :D

• 3 months later...

I've written Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfiction on ff.net. I like alternative relationships like Hermione/Draco and Willow/Spike. Most of them have fallen by the wayside, but I have a fic that I've been working on for the past ten years and is over 230 pages in a Microsoft Word document. I still write, but after reading the last two Harry Potter books, I sort of felt disgusted with the books.

• 1 year later...

I have been on-and-off writing a Hunger Games fanfiction, Queer and Reaped, kind of a twist on the Katniss/Peeta thing; instead, it's two girls from different districts. TW for mentions of sexual assault and self-harm though. But, I only got one review, and not a lot of traffic, so I am not sure about continuing.

• 4 weeks later...

I write (and make money off of) fanfiction. Public domain fanfiction. Currently working on a series based on Gaston Leroux's original Phantom of the Opera novel. And a side project that's a retelling of Les Miserables. 

• 5 months later...

I write on and off. I have three stories on FanFiction.net - two The Young and the Restless stories and one Call the Midwife story.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2013 at 8:59 PM, heidi said:

If I'm ever published, I would be delighted if someone wrote fanfiction based on my work. I think that it's a high complement to the original author. Their world and characters were so engaging that the fans wanted to spend more time in/with them.

I feel the same way. I always thought that was the point of being a writer, to create something that matters enough to someone that they become invested in it. 

But I guess some authors are only in it for the glory. And then of course there are the authors whose main goal of writing seems to be to let us all know how clever and amazing they are. 

Archived