IGNORED

That Wife's In A Tizzy

Morton Fan

I was wondering if she's a fan of that British fellow on CNN and if he goes by that name as a nickname.

That would be a cute nickname, but I figure since most of her time and meaningful life is online, she thinks of him/calls him T1.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mean to start a flu shot debate, woops. My doctors strongly advised me to get one at my first prenatal visit, and I took their advice. BTW, this is the first time I've had a flu shot in many years, and I haven't had the flu since about 15 years ago, so I'm not saying that everyone needs it. But I want to take care of my baby, so I got it on my OB's recommendation.

I guess my point was that TW intended to get one, so I assume was advised that it was important for her (and/or her children's) health, but she just plain didn't. She said in a post in December or January that she hadn't gotten around to it yet, and she still meant to if she could, when she could have gotten one with very little effort for many months if she actually cared. And I also wonder if she skipped a lot of her routine prenatal care, since it was so easy for me to get mine at the OB's office, even relatively late in the season.

Do we know if T1 even has a name?

You know, given how neglected he is in every other way.

Out of respect for him since she doesn't want it googleable, I will say that his name is: to break the skin of your ear in order to put an earring in it + the opposite of a daughter. :)

Yes. It is the name of one of Yale's residential colleges, though they may change the spelling to the name of Toronto's international airport, because that is the spelling people seem to default to.

I have no idea why they chose that name, though.

Thanks for the clues. I know she scrubs her blog and I was curious. I rather like the name she gave T2.

Out of respect for him since she doesn't want it googleable, I will say that his name is: to break the skin of your ear in order to put an earring in it + the opposite of a daughter. :)

Aw, poor kid. That's a rough name to give a kid, though I suppose it's still a lot better than some Utah Mormon names I've seen.

Thanks for the info.

I've had the flu a couple of times in my life, most recently about 15 years ago. I felt like crap for a few days, but it there was no chance it was going to kill me.

OK, not to totally derail here, but that's actually a pretty selfish attitude. Yeah, flu won't kill you, but what about the 80 yr old grandma or the 3 month old baby or the person with an immune deficiency that is in the path of your sneeze at the grocery store? It might kill them; flu is pretty dangerous for those people. Even if you try to stay home when you're sick, odds are you'll sneeze or cough some before you really realize you are getting sick. I do think the flu vaccine is not the most effective vaccine out there (only like 60% is what I think I heard), but it's the only preventative measure we currently have (well, other than hand washing), and it seems pretty self-focused to be all "oh, flu is no biggie for me!" and not acknowledge the other people you may infect. Herd immunity is about protecting everyone, not just yourself, and I consider keeping up to date on vaccinations to be a social responsibility.

Last nights nova talked about nurturing and increased anxiety, which leads to poor self regulation. One of the videos they showed was of a mother coming into the room to her crying child. She didn't pick up her baby, and even backed away when the baby crawled toward her. It was heart breaking to watch, and made me think of poor t1.

That wife could probably be a good mother - a good working mother. T1 could spend a chunk of his day with someone who loves kids, and she could be in the adult world. I wonder if she'd have more capacity for love and affection if she wasn't trapped at home, in a role that doesn't suit her.

OK, not to totally derail here, but that's actually a pretty selfish attitude. Yeah, flu won't kill you, but what about the 80 yr old grandma or the 3 month old baby or the person with an immune deficiency that is in the path of your sneeze at the grocery store? It might kill them; flu is pretty dangerous for those people. Even if you try to stay home when you're sick, odds are you'll sneeze or cough some before you really realize you are getting sick. I do think the flu vaccine is not the most effective vaccine out there (only like 60% is what I think I heard), but it's the only preventative measure we currently have (well, other than hand washing), and it seems pretty self-focused to be all "oh, flu is no biggie for me!" and not acknowledge the other people you may infect. Herd immunity is about protecting everyone, not just yourself, and I consider keeping up to date on vaccinations to be a social responsibility.

Yeah, and my doctor says washing your hands will save far more old people and 3 month old babies than any flu shot ever could and that most people don't bother doing it long enough or sometimes at all. I guess they'd rather have the 10 second shot to make sure they don't feel like crap for three days even if it doesn't work all that well.

I had a shot this year, btw. Context is important; kindly step off your soapbox.

Yeah, and my doctor says washing your hands will save far more old people and 3 month old babies than any flu shot ever could and that most people don't bother doing it long enough or sometimes at all. I guess they'd rather have the 10 second shot to make sure they don't feel like crap for three days even if it doesn't work all that well.

I had a shot this year, btw. Context is important; kindly step off your soapbox.

I'm glad you had the shot; your comments did not say that. Yes, I think handwashing is important (and people need to be better about it), but getting vaccinated is also important. And no, I will not step off my soapbox on anything involving vaccines; it's a really important issue to me.

Sorta off topic but who doesn't wash their hands just because they had a flu shot?

I've never seen anyone sneeze into their hands and go "good thing I had my flu shot or I'd have to wash my hands right now!"

Sorta off topic but who doesn't wash their hands just because they had a flu shot?

I've never seen anyone sneeze into their hands and go "good thing I had my flu shot or I'd have to wash my hands right now!"

He didn't say people don't wash their hands because they've had the shot. He said people should be washing their hands throughout the day in water as hot as they can stand for as long as they can stand it and that most people don't understand this. From my anecdotal ladies rooms observations, I think he's probably correct.

Well, gosh, I'd love to get hot water in a public bathroom sink. I'd also like taps that don't turn off after five seconds. Crazy talk, I know, but I can dream, can't I?

And don't "haters" posts make otherwise innocent readers want to find the hating sites and see what they say? That's what it does to me, at least. I think that was how I found FJ back in the day, in fact.

Yes, I've always thought so of bloggers who complained about FJ didn't seem to realize that they were basically advertizing the forum, and adding to the number of snarkers.

Yes, I've always thought so of bloggers who complained about FJ didn't seem to realize that they were basically advertizing the forum, and adding to the number of snarkers.

Well I came here cause I was intrigued by the "FJ hags" mentioned in Zsuzsanna's comments. I thought they sounded like my kind of people, and I was right.

Had a late night inspiration... Does TW's baby nomenclature remind anyone else of Terminator? Which makes T1 Arnold, and the new girl the morph-y metal guy! *runs away giggling*

Well I came here cause I was intrigued by the "FJ hags" mentioned in Zsuzsanna's comments. I thought they sounded like my kind of people, and I was right.

Ha! I know. I saw some dissenting comments on the Morton's blogs and thought, "Wait. OTHER people read their blog? OTHER people think they're as absurd as I do?" I was in a happy delirium when Google brought me here.

I haven't had a flu shot yet, and now I'm feeling REALLY guilty. I think of other vaccines the way you described, but not the flu - which, I admit, is really dumb. Is it too late in the season to get one now? If not then I'll be heading to a pharmacy to get one! I don't want to be the reason anyone gets sick or dies!

I also want to comment on the topic of the dang thank you cards. She was made "famous" by WeddingBee right? I mean that's why she has a lot of followers on her persona blog. So, um... shouldn't she know the ETIQUETTE of Thank You cards. I assume that they apply to baby gifts the same way they apply to wedding gifts (or any gift in general!), so she should already know the "rules". She's so insufferable!

I haven't had a flu shot yet, and now I'm feeling REALLY guilty. I think of other vaccines the way you described, but not the flu - which, I admit, is really dumb. Is it too late in the season to get one now? If not then I'll be heading to a pharmacy to get one! I don't want to be the reason anyone gets sick or dies!

The flu shot is not like the polio or measles vaccine. Because influenza is caused by an ever-morphing virus, it's currently impossible to eradicate it or even tame it. You need to get a shot every year, and even then the Center for Disease Control has numbers all over the map about how effective it actually is. Just yesterday, the CDC released the numbers regarding this year's shot and they reported the vaccine was only 9 percent effective against the worst strain of flu for people over 65. That's pretty pathetic and one of the reasons some doctors, like mine, question the overall efficacy of flu and pneumonia shots and don't go overboard recommending them for healthy people who aren't likely to come down with the illness in the first place. This is the same doctor who insisted I get a whooping cough booster last year because whooping cough - which can be controlled by vaccination - is making a comeback, so he's clearly concerned about having a vaccinated populace.

It depends where you live, but flu season starts to wind down in March. You can probably still get a shot to alleviate your feelings of guilt.

I also want to comment on the topic of the dang thank you cards. She was made "famous" by WeddingBee right? I mean that's why she has a lot of followers on her persona blog. So, um... shouldn't she know the ETIQUETTE of Thank You cards. I assume that they apply to baby gifts the same way they apply to wedding gifts (or any gift in general!), so she should already know the "rules". She's so insufferable!

Yup, weddingbee made her famous.

Awww, what a softy she is.

"T1 is being quite creepy, breathing loudly through the crack in my bedroom door trying to get my attention. I won't give in."

"T1 is being quite creepy, breathing loudly through the crack in my bedroom door trying to get my attention. I won't give in."

I think that's probably the first time I've ever heard a mother describe her baby as being "quite creepy".

Fixed it.

Good one. I know some of her weddingbee fans stopped liking when she started blogging about marriage and kids. She is an infamous connection to weddingbee.

Dang, she's my first choice for Mother of the Year....She makes J'chelle look like Mary Poppins or Maria VonTrapp.

That sounds like something siblings would say about one another, not a mother about her child. Damn, she sucks. I have an 18 month old goddaughter that I don't get to see too much. When she comes to stay with me, I don't care how tired I am or how I have trouble sleeping because I'm afraid she's going to wake up in the middle of the night and not know where she's at and get scared. I take the time to play with her, be silly with her and enjoy this time with her. She's only going to be little for a short time. I'm only the godmother. You'd think a mother would feel that way or have stronger feelings.

That Witch is a prime example of a women who shouldn't have had children. She's too self-absorbed.

Archived