IGNORED

Our America w/ Lisa Ling: Martyrs for Christ? on OWN tonight

FakePigtails

There's a new episode of Our America with Lisa Ling later that seems relevant here:

In the nation's heartland, one leader cries out with a radical message of spiritual martyrdom and his desire to "completely destroy institutional Church." Lisa goes inside this new religious movement where members claim to hear the voice of God, and explores what the future holds for its followers.

Tune in for this all-new episode of Our America with "Martyrs for Christ?" on Tuesday, February 19th at 10/9c, only on OWN.

There's a preview at http://www.oprah.com/own-our-america-li ... z2LOfb8wby

Has anyone heard of that guy?

I love Lisa Ling's show! There have been so many good episodes.

This could be interesting. I grew up on martyr stories. Remember when the [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Freaks_(book)]Jesus Freaks[/link] books were big? I fully intended to be a missionary and be martyred for my faith. Martyrs get special crowns in heaven, after all. I was probably a bit unusual in that I actually expected to be a martyr, but we were all supposed to be ready to die for Jesus.

It was a whole bag of crazy. From rib wives which is something like the wife god wants for you even if you're legally married to someone else (naturally the leader of FOTM helps "guide" members to these connections) to the diagnosed schizophrenic who checked himself out of a mental hospital when he realized the voices weren't schizophrenia but were instead Jesus.

I watched it with my husband this morning. We couldn't understand rib wives. Sooooo, God tells you to leave your wife and shack up with someone else at church, I get it. But why didn't they get divorced? Do they "not believe in divorce" because if you leave your wife... you're pretty much divorced without the paperwork, right? Wtf?

I watched it with my husband this morning. We couldn't understand rib wives. Sooooo, God tells you to leave your wife and shack up with someone else at church, I get it. But why didn't they get divorced? Do they "not believe in divorce" because if you leave your wife... you're pretty much divorced without the paperwork, right? Wtf?

So adultry is A-okay but they do not get a divorce. :?

So adultry is A-okay but they do not get a divorce. :?

I missed the show, dangit. It sounds kind of like they were practicing polygamy/celestial marriage. Or am I missing something? I hate I missed it cause I do enjoy my crazy folks on the tv. It makes me feel normal :lol:

i'm watching it right now. super interesting...also, are all tools named Doug???

That's exactly what went through my mind! :lol:

I didn't see what I would consider even one reasonably stable person in that entire group. Everyone was broken or bruised emotionally in some way, and this Doug Whatever-his-last-name-is knew exactly which Vulnerability Buttons to push. Scary, scary man. :shock:

I missed the show, dangit. It sounds kind of like they were practicing polygamy/celestial marriage. Or am I missing something? I hate I missed it cause I do enjoy my crazy folks on the tv. It makes me feel normal :lol:

No not polyamory. There were couples that came in married, but God told them to be with someone else. So they talked it out with their legal spouse and the women became "rib wives" (Doug's term) to their new "spouses" but they didn't legally divorce or remarry. And they were monogamous to their new spouses. And surprise, surprise, the leader took on a rib wife and she didn't want to be interviewed. In one couple a woman was called to be with her husband's best friend and (shocking!) He was also called by god to be with her.

No... this isn't like becoming bored and horny in your marriage and sleeping with your husband's best friend AT ALL!

That whole concept was so bizarre to me. It seemed like a warped kind of polygamy. Like the opposite of sister wives where you acquire wives and they all become a cohesive unit. Where as here the person stays legally married but essentially takes a mistress and shacks up with them, because God told them to.

If God told us in the 10 commandments that adultery is a sin why would he then tell these people to do the rib wife thing which is blatant adultery.

So, the rib wife thing "came" to the leader after his failed marriage... and he posted a youtube in which he yanks his beard out with his hands :o Anyone brave enough to go take a look at his youtube channel? The episode gave me the chills. I found it interesting that he "stayed behind" during the protest so there would be somebody to bail people out :? He's anti-institutional church and one day he prayed that god kill everyone on the planet. :shock: Scary stuff.

Well, damn! I wish I knew about rib wives back in my church days. There some men I would have tried it on! :twisted:

Archived