IGNORED

Univ. of Missouri adds pagan/Wiccan holidays to guide

RandomTrivia

Or, proof that (hopefully) my state isn't a totally lost cause yet.

The University of Missouri has added pagan and Wiccan holidays to their guidelines about religious observances. FOX News interprets this to mean no exams on those days, University spokesperson says otherwise.

MSN News had an interesting tone in their blurb but the comments seem sane.

FOX's commentator called it an "unbecoming societal shift" and I didn't read the comics because I don't need the headache.

And the local paper's articlecalls FOX "misleading."

Wow, I'm not Wiccan or Pagan - but I found the tone of the MSN article incredibly insulting and disrespectful.

Really belittling. More what I would have expected from Faux. I didn't bother to read Faux.

That popping sound you hear is little fundy heads exploding across the nation. And the seismic disturbance is Rushdoony and Falwell spinning in their graves.

Wow, I'm not Wiccan or Pagan - but I found the tone of the MSN article incredibly insulting and disrespectful.

Really belittling. More what I would have expected from Faux. I didn't bother to read Faux.

Agreed. That wasn't news reporting at all.

While in college, I had to take an exam on Good Friday. So, even though a college acknowledges a religion's holidays, that doesn't mean they stop classes or exams. And why not recognize the holidays of all religions, not just the Abrahamic ones? People of all walks of life attend college. It's nice that the University of Missouri wants to welcome them all.

Personally, I think it's great! One of the best parts of college is expanding your horizons and learning to live with and accept other people (hence fundies not letting their offspring go!).

I wonder how faux and the Fundies would react if the Univeristy heeds their concerns and out of fairness takes all holidays - including Christian ones - off the calendar. Those are really the only two fair options.

While in college, I had to take an exam on Good Friday.

I don't know if that particularly mattered to you, but if someone did have a problem with it, they would have been able to defer, right? I knew a Jewish student who deferred an exam because it was at 4 PM on a Friday in December, and he was worried about it interfering with the Sabbath.

At my university, they had to give you time off for religious holidays. IIRC, you had to square it with your professors at the beginning of the semester. You couldn't claim at the last minute that you're not allowed to take your exam on Good Friday or anything like that. We had a substantial Muslim population at that school, but I don't recall meeting any Wiccans. Since a sizable number of the professors were Jewish, classes were often cancelled on their holy days.

I don't know if that particularly mattered to you, but if someone did have a problem with it, they would have been able to defer, right? I knew a Jewish student who deferred an exam because it was at 4 PM on a Friday in December, and he was worried about it interfering with the Sabbath.

I have no idea. I suppose so, but it never bothered me in the least, so I never looked into the policies. I once had to take a final at a different time because it conflicted with a final in another class. It sucked. Everyone else was done with exams and I still had one more to take. So, I would have took an exam on Christmas Day if it meant I didn't have to take a make up exam.

That popping sound you hear is little fundy heads exploding across the nation. And the seismic disturbance is Rushdoony and Falwell spinning in their graves.

:lol:

Archived