IGNORED

Weaving

duplessis3

That mustache is cool!

My mother learned how to weave in college. She always wanted a loom and I regret that we never managed to get her one.

• 1 year later...

I really want a proper floor loom, but money and space don't allow right now (mostly space, I've seen some used for a good price), so I got myself a rigid heddle table loom. So far I've made a scarf that I haven't hemmed yet and just played around with it.

I got double heddles, so I'd like to figure that out and then I could make things like tea towels for presents/sale.

Anyone else here doing any weaving?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OH HEY I JUST NOTICED THIS THRED :D 

I've done some knitting loom stuff, but I have recently gotten into 'regular' weaving- I just bought myself a 16" Kromski Harp rigid heddle loom. :) SUPER EXCITE. 

Here's the first scarf I've warped up on it! :) 

The yarn is Malabrigo Piedras (with 4 warp threads of black classic worsted by Pattons, just to give the edges some contrast.) The weft will be the same piedras colorway. :) 

warped loom.jpg

All done! :D Warping up the loom for my next project - this one is another Malabrigo scarf but this one will have warp striping. :)

off_the_loom.jpg

On 12/13/2015 at 5:34 PM, kunoichi66 said:

*weeps*

Please don't cry, I promise I'm trying to get better at selvedges! :P

1 minute ago, Mango said:

All done! :D Warping up the loom for my next project - this one is another Malabrigo scarf but this one will have warp striping. :)

off_the_loom.jpg

Please don't cry, I promise I'm trying to get better at selvedges! :P

I'm weeping because I wish I could do that!  boo hoo hoo!!!!  It looks lovely too....

On 16 December 2015 at 10:07 AM, Mango said:

You totally can! It's not hard to learn! :)

Really?  :my_shy: that's good to hear!  Do you have any book or website recommendations?  Whenever I try to search online, I get loads of sites which sell equipment, and that's all.

Weaving Made Easy - http://www.amazon.com/Weaving-Made-Easy-Revised-Updated-ebook/dp/B00PMIH0RQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450845845&sr=1-7&keywords=small+looms 

Inventive Weaving on a LIttle Loom - http://www.amazon.com/Inventive-Weaving-Little-Loom-Rigid-Heddle-ebook/dp/B00Z8CZNT8/ref=pd_sim_351_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51g842OIPaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR132%2C160_&refRID=1PHSSS74KYBN5RDEG75X

and The Weaver's Idea Book http://www.amazon.com/Weavers-Idea-Book-Creative-Heddle-ebook/dp/B00DH40Q0K/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450845845&sr=1-8&keywords=small+looms

are the three 'must have' books. :) Also, Schacht and Ashford have GREAT how-to videos on Youtube. 

As far as places that sell - if you ahve a local weaving store OR a yarn shop where one of the employees is into weaving, they'll be a great resource. If you're on Ravelry, there's a group called Loom Reviews that can be good for finding local resources too. 

Websites, there's a bunch, but will have to wait until I'm on a better wifi connection. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone knowledgeable about Swedish Weaving? I have a question. I have done a couple of pieces that I liked. I was speaking to a woman in line at Joann's one day and she was doing the face of a tiger with Swedish Weaving. I cannot find patterns for 'images" anywhere online. Just the standard geometrical patterns. Wonder if she designed her own pattern? Can anyone help? Thanks.

@Chickenbutt that looks so fun. Damn it! Now I have another hobby I want to try out.
I found this blog that uses a combination of swedish weaving and embroidery to make a picture. And an etsy pattern of chickens/roosters.

I did find a blog that shows the patterns nicely on a square grid which might help if you want to try adapt a simple cross stitch pattern.
Also there are a lot of patterns that might work if you pintrest "Oitinho". It looks like Swedish weaving to me and has a lot more non-traditional designs

@OnceUponATimeThank you for these links. Swedish weaving is very fun and I think it is very affordable. I use leftover yarn skeins and only have to buy the huck cloth. Once you get the first row or two, it is pretty fast going. I found that I can sit with a TV Tray in front of me to lay the fabric on, watch TV and weave.

One thing I learned the hard way, always, always, always wash the fabric before starting your project. It does shrink.

Here are some books in case you are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Swedish+Weaving

ETA: It is also called Huck Cloth Embroidery, Or Monks Cloth Embroidery.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 4 heddle table top loom and a lap loom that I use for card weaving. I found a book at a used book store called "WARPING-All By Yourself". That book has saved me so many headaches. It's available on amazon books, and is more than worth it. 

My most recent project was a monster silk warp given to me by my former employer. I had to wind it on in two parts it was so long. I plan to make placemats and the runner on top is done. The binding is card woven and quite time consuming. I still have another one of those warps to do.

Card weaving on a lap loom

Spoiler

20151107_131506.thumb.jpg.ec335141cd8bb9

So much yardage I divided it and dyed it different colors for variety. 

Spoiler

20160318_092243.thumb.jpg.8dcc27dddcfefa

The finished runner. It was the only part done in time for thanksgiving. 

Spoiler

20151126_121536.thumb.jpg.d0e9116ecd92df

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, that is AMAZING - I love the binding! Sorry for the slow response, I went on vacation :D

I just bought (last month) a 45" Leclerc Nilus floor loom (4H) and I am SO excited about it - hope to get it warped up soon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow you guys are all so talented! The last thing I finished was a beard that ended up too small...for a human male. (wrong gauge.)  My son is making me an inkle loom for mother's day.

Archived