IGNORED

Any other sewers?

Claddagh

What all do you make?

Right now I'm mostly making historical costumes. I really like Victorian and Edwardian fashions so most of my costumes reflect that.

The doll clothes I make are all over the place period fashion wise and I most often make them out of scraps.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What all do you make?

Right now I'm mostly making historical costumes. I really like Victorian and Edwardian fashions so most of my costumes reflect that.

The doll clothes I make are all over the place period fashion wise and I most often make them out of scraps.

I dabble. I can work from very basic patterns, though sometimes need help from someone more experienced. I do costume design several times a year for one of our local youth musical theatre companies. I want to learn more, especially since my daughter has recently gotten into cosplay, and has a whole list of costumes she wants made. :)

I'm a self taught sewer. Mostly I make clothes for my kids, and I've started dabbling in making some basic skirts and things for myself. I really love making accesories, like fabric storage buckets and cowls.

You guys have some seriously awesome skills! I've only got back into sewing in the last year or so (partly due to not having a machine or any ideas) I'm not a huge fan of making clothes (although I did make a dress as part of my textiles GCSE) although I have seen blogs where they buy clothes from charity shops and refashion them/use the fabric for something else, would that be a good place to start? I also want to make things like cushions and little zippy bags. This is a really good tutorial that I've used to make the bags: skiptomylou.org/2009/01/14/how-to-make-a-lined-zipper-pouch-tutorial/

My grandma taught me when I was eleven. I got my start making small doll clothes and stuffed animals.

I was seventeen when I made my first dress. It was a 1870's colonial style dress. I cursed more times than I remember but it turned out in the end and I wore it for Hallowe'en. I could only wear it the one time as I went on a growth spurt just days afterward.

I love sewing, always have. I used to make frightful little things for my Barbies when I was a kid and would get fussed at by my Nanny for turning her sewing basket upside down. I didn't sew again for many years but re-took it up perhaps 18 years ago. No one ever taught me, I just figured anyone who is determined to read a pattern can do so; and I turned out to be right. There were plenty of mistakes along the way, but I finally think I can call myself competent, if not expert.

I make clothing. I have made many dresses, slacks, skirts and jackets for myself; and I used to make things for my kids when they were small. There was a time when I was stuck on quilting, and I've made about 5-6 quilts; but I"m over quilting for now. I've also made a few sets of curtains and a duvet set for my son's bedroom, but sewing big rectangles got tiresome for me. I love clothes too much.

The last thing I made was a costume for the musical production of The Sound of Music at my son's high school. It was the dress for Gretl that is the one Maria makes out of her curtains (the "playclothes.") I wanted to make more of the costumes; I was recovering from surgery at the time and needed something to do; but by the time I found out about it most of the work was already farmed out. Maybe next year.

If I were a little wealthier and had more time (I am getting ready to return to work after having missed 3 months with my surgery), I would love to try designing sportswear. But till that happens, I just watch Project Runway. Sewing is so cathartic. Even hemming a pair of slacks makes me peaceful.

I hope to become a sewer! I was just gifted a sewing machine a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to play around with it much because I've been pretty broke, but I'm going out probably tomorrow to get some basic supplies and fabric to fuck up. I also bought a book (Stitch by Stitch by Deborah Moebes). I'm hoping I can teach myself at least the basics with the help of the book, but if I get overwhelmed I will try to find a local class or something.

I'm sort-of a sewer, hoping to become better. I got a sewing machine for $6 last summer at a yard sale, and so far have made a cape for a Halloween costumer. Oh, and half of a felt playhouse that I need to finish. Basically, I can do straight lines so far. :) I've got a pile of stuff that needs mending, three pairs of jeans that badly need hemmed up, and tonight, at the grand opening of the new Jo-Ann store, I spent $90 on fabric and foam for 2 pillowcases, a floor pillow idea, and cushions for two office chairs. Now I just need the motivation to get some of it done.

-8144225722869840895_1.jpg.

I want to make that dress, so I can have something casual and light to wear when working around the house or in the yard. In other words, something that can be washed easily and won't be a catastrophe if it gets soiled.

I hope to become a sewer! I was just gifted a sewing machine a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to play around with it much because I've been pretty broke, but I'm going out probably tomorrow to get some basic supplies and fabric to fuck up. I also bought a book (Stitch by Stitch by Deborah Moebes). I'm hoping I can teach myself at least the basics with the help of the book, but if I get overwhelmed I will try to find a local class or something.

You sound like me. I hinted and hinted at wanting a sewing machine, so my husband went out and got me one one Christmas, and then it was like, oh shit, now I need to learn to sew with this thing. I bought lots of remnants and easy patterns and went to town with it. I still have the first dress I made myself. It's about a size too big, and in retrospect it's a pretty crappy print fabric; but I was so proud of it and I wore it a million times.

A book I found really helpful to begin with was the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. I had the old version, from the 70's; but I believe there's a newer one from maybe the past 5 years. It's very complete. I also bought a book somewhere along the line about different types of fabric, how to care for them, how to sew them, what they are best suited for. I don't have it handy and I can't think of the title; but if you get into serious sewing it's nice to be able to look up what the difference is between silk shantung and silk dupioni, for example, before you go buying the wrong thing.

I sew really simple things like dog beds and belly bands. I have a pretty nice sewing machine because my cheaper one was having issues going through the thickness needed for crate pads and I decided I was going to learn to really sew. RAWR

I'd actually love to learn to do more now that I have 2 chihuahuas, one of whom, loves clothes, but I don't thing sewing is something I'm ever going to excel at, unfortunately.

I have played around with patterns when my older chi was tiny and *nothing* fit her. This is a dress I made her, which is very simple.

post-132-14451996044941_thumb.jpg

I had one of those, too. This is my old girl who passed away suddenly in Nov :( She loved it when I was making beds and had material laying out for them. Particularly if I was using fleece.

post-132-14451996048165_thumb.jpg

I'm learning.

Luckily, toddlers are VERY tolerant of sewing mistakes.

I don't have a picture in the whole get up (mask is made, bracers are half made), but my kid likes the soft velvety stuff inside her new superhero cape (with her sidekick, the dog with no knees--who is very tolerant, obviously):

2013-02-10_16-33-13_698.jpg

2013-02-10_16-32-34_416.jpg

I completed two projects today but have to wait for nicer weather before I can get them photographed. We have that storm coming through CA so there's tons of rain.

I had one of those, too. This is my old girl who passed away suddenly in Nov :( She loved it when I was making beds and had material laying out for them. Particularly if I was using fleece.

Athena has a thing for cotton and satin. She'll ignore other fabrics for some reason.

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your little friend. :( She was a very pretty cat.

I'm learning.

Luckily, toddlers are VERY tolerant of sewing mistakes.

I don't have a picture in the whole get up (mask is made, bracers are half made), but my kid likes the soft velvety stuff inside her new superhero cape (with her sidekick, the dog with no knees--who is very tolerant, obviously):

Those pictures are really cute!

I sew, but mainly its costumes for the children. I have a list a mile long of stuff they want done. We go a couple of festivals and the children REALLY enjoy dressing up. Does anybody else begrudge spending money on clothing because you "could make it better and for less" but never do. :lol:

I sew, but mainly its costumes for the children. I have a list a mile long of stuff they want done. We go a couple of festivals and the children REALLY enjoy dressing up. Does anybody else begrudge spending money on clothing because you "could make it better and for less" but never do. :lol:

ugh, yes.

I know someone who says she's going to set up a booth at craft-shows and name it "but you WON"T" :lol:

I've done that! I've got a list of what I could've made for better and less that I've never gotten around to. I think we all have a list like that in our lives.

A book I found really helpful to begin with was the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. I had the old version, from the 70's; but I believe there's a newer one from maybe the past 5 years. It's very complete. I also bought a book somewhere along the line about different types of fabric, how to care for them, how to sew them, what they are best suited for. I don't have it handy and I can't think of the title; but if you get into serious sewing it's nice to be able to look up what the difference is between silk shantung and silk dupioni, for example, before you go buying the wrong thing.

The book I bought has some recommendations for other resources in it and the Reader's Digest is one of them. Although the book says to get the old school version! I don't know what the difference is, but I'm definitely going to snag that one when I can.

Stitch by Stitch seems like a pretty neat book because there are like ten projects and each project builds upon the last project. I haven't started with it yet but it seems very easy to follow and it's written in a really conversational style, so it's like being motivated by a friend. Like I really believe the author wants me to want to sew and be successful! It's very cute.

ETA: although I really really wasn't aware of what extra supplies I would need... I'm very grateful to my mom for buying me the machine for my birthday, but man, I don't even own an iron!

Every time I see this topic title I think of Uncle Matthew from Nancy Mitford's novels.

And as I have nothing to add to the conversation, I'll go now.

I do! I do! :) I make costumes, but my real love is making plush. :) Right now, I'm working on a bunch of rag dolls to take to AllCon next month (obviously, fandom related :D) I'll have to take some pictures once I have finished dolls and not piles of disembodied limbs. :)

Love the Incle Matthew reference. «brains for breakfast!" My youngest son sewed a tunic for his Viking project. He was very i nsistent abt not needing help except for outlining his body on the fabric. HE SEWED IT BY HAND AND WHEN I LOOKED, HE DIDNT CUT the thread, just let it spool off. It was pretty funny. And it came out remarkably good.

Maybe one of you fine FJers can help me. I don't really know how to sew. I can reattach a button and sort of mend a small hole. Here's my semi-humiliating dilemma.

I have a much beloved stuffed dog named Squashy. I received him on the day my little sister was born 22 years ago and he's got a lot of sentimental value. Over the years, he's had a few tears here and there, all of them along seams and mended by my mom. However, he recently sustained a rather large wound on the head/neck area. I tried to sew it but it just keeps tearing again, and larger each time. The rip isn't just along the seam this time and is pretty jagged. It's like the fabric has gotten old and is shredding to bits with any strain.

So, I decided that I might need to do a skin graft. The difficulty is that he's made of a silky, lightweight fabric, not plush. It might be nylon? I'm worried that it's just going to keep ripping because it doesn't have enough substance to hold the thread anymore. Compounding the difficulty is the fact that the fabric is a rather early-90slicious shade of Miami Vice turquoise. Where the hell am I supposed to find matching fabric to make a patch? A friend suggested I cut a piece from a less-visible area (uh, so the dog is wearing a pair of boxer shorts) and use that, but I am a huge lamewad and I honestly don't know that I can bring myself to do it.

If I go to Joann Fabrics or the like are they going to be able to help me, either with finding a matching patch or with technique for sewing it? I'm in Portland (OR) if anyone has recommendations for sewing resources that I don't know about.

Also apologies for like the dumbest question ever. I can maybe post photos of the damage if it would be helpful.

If you go to the fabric store they might be able to help identify the fabric or find some fabric that is a similar color.

Good luck with the repair work!

Archived