IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!

I made the mistake of coming to this site tonight and have to fast from midnight till testing in the morning (CBC, Urine,etc) and now I'm starving.  The recipes look so good on this site.  Carry on dear friends.  I shall be grocery shopping in the afternoon.

• 1 month later...

Budget recipes (I don't typically cook with a recipe so I'm guestimating)

Chili/Taco/Burrito filling
1 lb ground meat (I use turkey)
1 bag dried black beans (cooked)
1 bag dried kidney beans (cooked)
1 jar salsa
2 onions (chopped or blended--- I pulverized them in my Vitamix with the salsa)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 bag frozen corn

I throw everything together in a pot as if I am making chili.  If I have extra tomato sauce, I'll throw it in there as well as any other veggies feel like.  This can be eaten as a chili or used for filling for tacos and burritos.  

Note-- if you freeze it (I typically freeze 1/2 to 2/3 from the getgo) eat it as a chili since it freezes a little watery and doesn't hold up well in taco shells/tortillas.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Strawberry Cake with Homemade Icing

1 Box Strawberry Cake Mix                    1/2 Cup Sliced Strawberries, juice drained

Preheat oven to 350. Mix cake mix according to box. Add strawberries. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

For the icing you'll need 1 stick of margarine softened. Mix the butter until fluffy. Add 3 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 cup strawberries with juice. Mix with the butter. You may need to add a tiny bit of strawberry juice to icing mixture.  Pour remaining strawberries and juice over cake after you've iced it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Creamy Caramel Dip

1 (8oz) Cream Cheese, softened

3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar

1 cup (8oz) Sour Cream

2 tsp Vanilla

2 tsp Lemon Juice

1 cup Cold Milk

1 pkg (3.4oz) Instant  Vanilla Pudding Mix

Beat cream cheese and brown sugar together until smooth. Add sour cream, vanilla, lemon juice and pudding mix, blending well after each addition. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Serve with various fruits. Enjoy!

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2014 at 8:06 AM, Becket70 said:

As I was watching The Little Couple, there was a point in which Will wanted some cake and Jen told him they didn't have any cake in the house. We use a tried and true recipe to make cake in a minute or so. We make "pink cake" for our granddaughter, though it could be any color or flavor you want. The recipe calls for combining a box of angel food cake with a box of any flavor of cake mix you want. We use strawberry flavored cake along with the angel food to make the cake kind of pink. Once combined, you put 3 tablespoons of cake mix in a microwave-safe mug, add 2 tablespoons of water, mix and put into the microwave for 1 minute. Allow it to cool for a minute and then plop out onto the plate...voila...you have cake. It's a small portion, which is perfect for kids. Sometimes we add jam to the top of the still-warm cake. There are endless possibilities and variations.

3-2-1 Cake! My grand kids love it. They can do it  by themselves. They prefer chocolate with strawberries on top. I always have several "mixes" in containers for a quick dessert or snack.

22 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Creamy Caramel Dip

1 (8oz) Cream Cheese, softened

3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar

1 cup (8oz) Sour Cream

2 tsp Vanilla

2 tsp Lemon Juice

1 cup Cold Milk

1 pkg (3.4oz) Instant  Vanilla Pudding Mix

Beat cream cheese and brown sugar together until smooth. Add sour cream, vanilla, lemon juice and pudding mix, blending well after each addition. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Serve with various fruits. Enjoy!

I just made this and it insanely good!! The only things I changed was using whipped cream cheese so I could mix it with a whisk instead of dragging out the mixer, and I used heavy cream instead of milk cus I'm a fattie lol. Next time I think I'll use the darkest brown sugar I can find though to give it a little more Carmel flavor. The stuff I had was pretty pale. Def amazing on thin butter crackers and pretzels too! 

• Upvote 1

I made it today too.....lol. Used bananas, strawberries, cherries and granny smith apples. Man was it good. I would imagine anything dipped in it would be good....pretzels...yummmmmm.

Thought I'd post my soup recipe!

1 onion, diced

2 cups diced baby red potatoes 

1 large russet potato, peeled and diced

5 cloves of garlic, minced

1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup chopped celery

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 cup seitan steak broth

2 cups vegetable stock

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup flour

2 cups cashew milk

Put potatoes and garlic in crockpot. Sweat onions, carrots, and celery in a pot with veggie broth or a little olive oil. Add to crockpot, pour in seitan and veggie broth. Set to 4 hours on high.

At the end make a roux by mixing the oil and flour. Add the cashew milk slowly while whisking to keep out lumps. Once heated and smooth add the pepper and parsley. Pour into the crockpot and set on low 1 more hour. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I've been fishing lately, as have friends. The frying and baking is getting old. So FJ community, any alternate recipes? Maybe a good blackening recipe that doesn't have eleventy billion ingredients and steps a la Paul Prudomme.

• Upvote 1

All I have are batter recipes, Shake n Bake and alternatively, panko-crusted, baked.   Any new ideas would be gladly read and used over here :)

• Upvote 1

@Roux @MarblesMom

Mix together miso and a little honey and spread onto fish. Bake. Serve sprinkled with julienned green onions.

Spread a little black bean sauce and a couple thin slices ginger on fish. Steam. Serve sprinkled with julienned green onions.

Best with whole fish: Spread a couple thin slices of ginger on fish and inside cavity. Steam. Meanwhile, simmer together equal parts soy sauce and rice wine with a dash of sugar. Thicken slightly with a tiny bit of cornstarch (not too much or it'll be gloopy). Spread julienned green onions, julienned ginger, and cilantro over fish. Pour sauce over. Serve.

Edited by warriorblade8857
  • Upvote 3

@warriorblade8857, all of those sound great! What type of fish do you normally use? Is this something that could be done with trout or another smaller fish?  Or does it work better with something more substantial like tuna or amberjack?

@Roux

Usually some sort of white fish steak for the miso (e.g. Chilean sea bass or some other alternative for sustainability).

White fish filet works for the black bean sauce. Trout would be fine. I like pomfret, but frozen tilapia works too.

For the whole fish, this is usually served fresh in Chinese cuisine (as in retrieved from the tank at the restaurant or supermarket just before dinner), and done with any plate-sized white fish. Snapper, flounder, croaker, bass, perch, etc.

As for the substantial, hefty stuff... I would leave the tuna for sushi.

Edited to add: As a public service announcement: To kill parasites in fish, one must freeze and store it at -4oF for 7 days or -31oF for 15 hours (or cook it thoroughly). Home freezers don't usually go this low, so please don't eat sashimi/ceviche/gravlax using self-caught fish.

Edited by warriorblade8857

Thanks for that.  I've been catching speckled trout, croaker, and red drum.  Also, some friends have been catching flounder and passing it along.  I'm super excited to try with one of those.

Made these today for my son's birthday, they are his favorite. Thought I would add the recipe here. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. 30 minutes start to finish with stuff everyone has in their pantry.

Chocolate No Bakes ***ALLERGY WARNING*** Contains Peanut Butter

Boil for 1 minute in a heavy, large pot (I use a 4.5 quart pot)

1/2 cup of milk

2 cups of sugar

Remove from heat. Stir in 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup and 2 tbsps. cocoa til well blended. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3 cups quick oats.

Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper. Done!

• Upvote 2

On 8/8/2016 at 2:25 PM, Roux said:

Thanks for that.  I've been catching speckled trout, croaker, and red drum.  Also, some friends have been catching flounder and passing it along.  I'm super excited to try with one of those.

Roux, all of these would probably also be great in an 'en papillote' or parchment parcel preparation. You put the fish on a large piece of parchment paper, add aromatics and seasonings, perhaps even some veggies, crimp the paper into a packet and bake in the oven. A bit different from just baking it the regular way, and you get great flavor from the aromatics and end up with a really easy and healthy meal! Here's a pretty comprehensive guide by Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-cook-food-en-papillote-packages-vegetables-meat-fish-slideshow.html

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2016 at 10:44 AM, Chickenbutt said:

Made these today for my son's birthday, they are his favorite. Thought I would add the recipe here. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. 30 minutes start to finish with stuff everyone has in their pantry.

1/2 cup of milk

2 cups of sugar

Remove from heat. Stir in 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup and 2 tbsps. cocoa til well blended. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3 cups quick oats.

Yummy! I love that ingredient! 

• 3 weeks later...

French Bread Meat Sandwich

(Great for hungry teenagers)

1 Loaf of French Bread

1 pound hamburger

Garlic Butter

1 small can tomato sauce

Cheddar cheese slices (my kids actually like the Kraft American cheese slices in this)

Slice bread lengthwise.....pull our bread in center of top and bottom of loaf (feed that to the birds) to make a trough. Butter bread with garlic butter. Then line loaf top and bottom with cheese.

Cook meat with any additives you like. Drain. Add tomato sauce.

Spoon meat into bottom trough, put the top on. Wrap in foil, heat in over 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so.

Additives to meat can be onions, peppers, red chili flakes, onion powder, garlic powder. Anything really. My brother adds spicy sausage to his hamburger.

You will want to lay out the foil, put the bottom of the loaf on the foil, then fill it, top it and wrap it. It is much easier that way.

If this is not clear, just ask.

ETA: Added a couple more additives to meat.

Edited by Chickenbutt
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

French Bread Meat Sandwich

(Great for hungry teenagers)

1 Loaf of French Bread

1 pound hamburger

Garlic Butter

1 small can tomato sauce

Cheddar cheese slices (my kids actually like the Kraft American cheese slices in this)

Do you use the soft fluffy fat French bread or a long baguette?

On 8/11/2016 at 0:44 PM, Chickenbutt said:

1/2 cup of milk

2 cups of sugar

This looks good...but... only 1/2 cup of milk and 2 cups of sugar? Should it be the other way around? 

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2016 at 7:41 PM, Chickenbutt said:

Nope, I just rechecked the recipe.....1/2 cup milk and 2 cups of sugar. The sugar melts down to liquid.

The sugar is always referred to as liquid when baking for the reason quoted above.  Gotta try this for my son-in-law's Christmas gift.  His gift  is an "all mine and I don't have to share it with anyone' type of thing.  I try to make it with all his favourites.

On 11/08/2016 at 9:44 AM, Chickenbutt said:

1/2 cup of milk

2 cups of sugar

I LOVE no bake cookies. But I take exception to your claim that they contain "stuff everyone has in their pantry." 

I think I have the sugar. And probably a pan. ;-) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.