IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

Here's my new go-to favorite dessert - brown butter raspberry tart. It's easy to make and so delicious!

Brown butter raspberry tart (from epicurious.com)

Crust:

7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour

Pinch of salt

Filling:

1/2 cup sugar

2 large eggs

Pinch of salt

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, diced

2 6-ounce containers fresh raspberries

Preparation

For crust:

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Using rubber spatula or fork, mix melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in medium bowl. Add flour and salt and stir until incorporated. Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Using fingertips, press dough evenly onto sides and bottom of pan.

Bake crust until golden, about 18 minutes (crust will puff slightly while baking). Transfer crust to rack and cool in pan. Maintain oven temperature.

For filling:

Whisk sugar, eggs, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add flour and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Cook butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until deep nutty brown (do not burn), stirring often, about 6 minutes. Immediately pour browned butter into glass measuring cup. Gradually whisk browned butter into sugar-egg mixture; whisk until well blended.

Arrange raspberries, pointed side up and close together in concentric circles, in bottom of cooled crust. Carefully pour browned butter mixture evenly over berries. Place tart on rimmed baking sheet. Bake tart until filling is puffed and golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool tart completely in pan on rack. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.

Remove tart pan sides. Place tart on platter. Cut into wedges and serve.

Original recipe found here: epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Brown-Butter-Raspberry-Tart-353425

File this under "ridiculously easy but tastes FUCKING AWESOME": Tomato and Herb tart.

Stuff you need:

Shortcrust pastry to fill a flan dish. I'm lazy so I buy it ready made.

Cherry tomatos (c. 250 g)

2-3 tablespoons of English (hot) mustard

Herbes de Provence

Cheese of your choice: I've used strong cheddar and emmenthal, both work.

What to do with it:

Fill the flan dish with the pastry.

Slather the pastry base with the mustard

Half the cherry tomatoes, turn them flat side down and layer the halves on the base

Add liberal amounts of herbes de Provence to taste

Sprinkle base with the cheese, grated.

Stick in the oven for 30 minutes at 180 celsius. Done!

It's dead simple but tastes lovely with salads or pasta :)

• 4 months later...

Stuffed Manicotti (or a variant there-of)

Pack of manicotti noodles

Shredded mozerella

an egg

8 oz Ricotta

Tomato sauce

Tomato paste

Minced garlic

Oregano (I get this in the sprinkle variety)

1/2 pound ground beef (or Italian sausage)

Chopped onion

Basil or parsley flakes

Brown beef/sausage and add in onion (if you'd like). When this is done, drain and put in tomato sauce and paste, stirring until evenly mixed (and liquid). Then add in a tablespoon of oregano and minced garlic. Leave cooking on low (enough so it doesn't boil over)

Boil manicotti noodles, depending on how many you want to make. Boil until it's almost done but not quite. Should be firm.

Preheat oven to 350.

In a bowl, dump the 8 oz ricotta along with the egg and mix. Add in a cup of mozerella as well as two tablespoons of either basil or parsley flakes.

Stuff each manicotti noodle with cheese mixture. The mixture should stuff around 6-7, so adjust to what you like. In a glass pan, spoon some of the meat mixture on the bottom so the noodles will have a nice wet, meaty place to sit. Almost a half will do. Set noodles side by side until they cover glass pan, then spoon the rest of the meat mixture on top of noodles. Important that they're covered. Sprinkle some mozerella on top.

Cover with foil and put in preheated oven. I usually cook for about an hour, maybe 50 minutes, dividing the time between foil/foil-less.

Then yum yum time.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this and it turned out good

Garlic Chicken Quesadilla

Whole wheat tortillas

Grilled Chicken chunks

Grated cheese

Roasted Garlic Hummus

Spread hummus lightly on tortillas

Put chicken and cheese in the middle

Put in pan and cook on medium til cheese is melted

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any recipes for delicious coffee drinks that are low sugar? I'm trying to watch my sugar intake right now.

I've got a recipe for a perfect Boston Cream Pie, if anyone is interested.

What's become of Teddy Bear? He posted some great recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

As I was watching The Little Couple, there was a point in which Will wanted some cake and Jen told him they didn't have any cake in the house. We use a tried and true recipe to make cake in a minute or so. We make "pink cake" for our granddaughter, though it could be any color or flavor you want. The recipe calls for combining a box of angel food cake with a box of any flavor of cake mix you want. We use strawberry flavored cake along with the angel food to make the cake kind of pink. Once combined, you put 3 tablespoons of cake mix in a microwave-safe mug, add 2 tablespoons of water, mix and put into the microwave for 1 minute. Allow it to cool for a minute and then plop out onto the plate...voila...you have cake. It's a small portion, which is perfect for kids. Sometimes we add jam to the top of the still-warm cake. There are endless possibilities and variations.

• 9 months later...

I got my formerly veggie-phobic Girl 1 to eat creamy spinach salmon pasta sauce tonight!

It's a great, fairly healthy and cheap recipe that's easy to make with stuff that's on hand at home.

1 package frozen chopped spinach

1 can salmon (big bones removed or mashed up)

1/2 can 2% evaporated milk

1 cube frozen dill

2 cubes frozen basil

2 cubes frozen garlic

2 Tbsp. sundried tomato pesto (or use tomato paste)

3 Tbsp. olive oil

fresh ground pepper

pasta (rotini is good)

1. Boil a big pot of water for the pasta.

2. Open can of salmon, remove the big bones. Put into bowl. Add 1/2 can evaporated milk, frozen dill and 1 frozen garlic. Mash together.

3. Heat olive oil in a big saute pan. Add frozen spinach, 2 frozen basil, 1 frozen garlic and pesto or tomato paste.

4. The water for the pasta should be ready after you add the spinach to the saute pan. Add pasta to pot. Cook until al dente.

5. Keep cooking the spinach until it's all hot.

6. Add bowl of salmon mixture, reduce heat to a low simmer, and mix it until it's just heated through. Don't overcook or you'll get a skin on the creamy part.

7. Drain pasta, serve, top with sauce. Add some fresh ground pepper.

• 4 months later...

My favorite bread pudding cuz I needed some comfort food tonight

Pudding

4 cups soft bread cubes

1/4 cup raisins

2 cups peeled and sliced apples

1 cup brown sugar

1 3/4 cups milk

1/2 cup butter

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice (or both)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs beaten

Vanilla Sauce

1/4 cup white sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Slice apples thin and put them in a skillet with the raisins and 1/4 cup of butter and cook them for a few minutes until the apples are hot and the raisins start to plump up. Drain them over your baking dish and the butter mixture will "grease" your pan. Then mix them in a large bowl with the bread.

While the apples/raisins are cooking, heat 1 cup brown sugar, 1 3/4 cups milk, 1/4 cup of butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, eggs and cinnamon/apple pie spice in a small saucepan stirring until the margarine is melted and the mixture is warm (not scalding). Pour over the bread, apple/raisin mixture in the bowl.

Mix everything together and then put in the pan. I use an 11 inch Corel glass pan but I think any large (7 x 11 or 9 x 13) will work Just adjust the baking time.

Then let it sit for about an hour for the bread to soak up the liquid. This parts important if you don't want runny bread pudding.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until center is set and apples are tender. Be sure and place a cookie/baking sheet underneath cuz this stuff plumps up and mine always runs over.

While pudding is baking, mix together sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup margarine in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Serve over bread pudding.

My sister uses the Vanillas Sauce but I think it's to sweet so use half n half on the warm pudding instead.

Enjoy :)

• 1 month later...

I made a slow cooker chicken stew for a sick friend yesterday and it was killer. The recipe is from America's Test Kitchen.

Pat 3lbs chicken thighs dry with paper towels, season them, and sear them in some veg oil, 4 mins per side. You'll probably have to do two batches.

Then in some more veg oil sautée 2 chopped onions, 6 chopped garlic cloves, 1T tomato paste, and 1/2t dried thyme for 8-10 mins, until the onions are soft and a little brown.

Add 1/3c flour and stir for a minute, then 1/2c white wine or vermouth for another minute. Whisk in 1c chicken broth, make sure you get all the lumps out and all the stuck bits from the bottom of the pan, then pour all of it into the slow cooker.

Thinly slice 4 carrots and chunk up about a lb of red potatoes, toss with a bit of oil, and microwave for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, to give them a head start cooking. Add them to the slow cooker too, along with 3 more cups chicken broth, two bay leaves, and the chicken thighs you seared. Make sure it's all stirred up and the chicken is submerged.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours, then take the chicken thighs out, chop them, and put them back in with 1c frozen peas. Let it stand for 5 mins to warm the peas through, then eat!

• 2 months later...

Chocolate Oatmeal Squares

Take a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe. Press dough into the bottom of a foil pan, smoothing it a bit. Bake at 350 for 10 min.

Take my date-based Healthy Chocolate Icing (just dates, boiling water, coconut oil and cocoa powder, in a food processor), spread on top on the oatmeal cookie base. Put in fridge for a half hour.

Cut into squares.

• 2 months later...

The best peanut butter cookies ever (and gluten free!)

1 cup peanut butter (no generic. love yourself)

1 egg

1 cup sugar

1 tsp baking soda

Chocolate chips/M&Ms/whatever if desired

Roll into small balls, then mash them down onto wax paper in a cookie sheet. Press fork gently into them if desired.

Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes. Time depends on how big you made the cookies.

• Upvote 1

Another recipe. Sorry for the double post, didn't want it to get confusing

Homemade Butterfingers

1 bag of Brach's candy corn (about 2-3 cups)

1 generous cup of (smooth) peanut butter

Approx. 2 cups of melting chocolate

Melt candy corn in microwave, then mix in peanut butter. Spread in small pan and chill. Cut into squares. Melt chocolate following directions on the bag/package. Dip candy corn/pb squares into melted chocolate.This will be messy! Place on waxed paper and chill. Enjoy! These are even better on/after the second day.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this thread!  So many great ideas! :)

This soup recipe is a favorite of mine because I usually have the ingredients on hand.  I add lots of extras: a handful of frozen choppped spinach, celery, carrots, whatever happens to be lurking in the fridge. 

http://onceuponaplaterecipes.blogspot.com/2010/04/rustic-italian-soup-from-pantry.html

It makes a great cold weather meal, especially when paired with BLTs, but I sub fresh basil leaves for the lettuce.  One of the best sandwiches ever. :)

This turkey breast recipe is simple and really good.  I use it with whole breasts and half breasts that I get from Trader Joe's (just 1/2 the recipe).  I have sage and rosemary in pots in my kitchen, so that makes it easier.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/citrus-rosemary-turkey-breast

My headship and I love these salmon cakes. We usually have a can of salmon in the pantry so this is easy. I bake these instead of frying with a pat of butter on top.   I serve them with a sort-of aioli sauce: about 1/4 cup of good mayo, 1 garlic clove, minced, a splash of lemon juice and enough Old Bay seasoning to turn the whole concoction pale pink.  Taste as you go, I love Old Bay + lemon, maybe too much. ;)

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/chesapeake-spiced-salmon-cakes

And finally, I love hummus.  I really, really love it.  I love it enough to peel canned chickpeas by hand, one by one.  It sounds crazy but it's worth the effort.  It elevates homemade hummus to the restaurant quality stuff.

Smittenkitchen says it takes 9 minutes for her to peel a can of chickpeas.  It takes me much longer than that.  I just settle in with a glass of wine and an episode of American Horror Story: Coven and start peeling.  When it's over, I'm done. ;)

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/

• Upvote 1

@Jucifer, once I tried smittenkitchen's suggestion to peel the chickpeas, I never went back.  Best. Hummus. Ever.  I usually make mine on weekends, so I sit in front of the TV for 15 minutes and peel.  Thanks for the cool links! :)

• Upvote 1

There was talk in the "speculariam" thread on AYTMIFJ about stuffed pepper recipes. I'm always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to responding to these things so I thought I'd post MY recipe here. :my_biggrin:

I call this Unstuffed Peppers:

1 lb ground beef or ground Italian sausage or combination that you prefer

2 cans diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings (or you can use regular with your own spices - I'm all about choice!)

Diced bell peppers or you can use a frozen pepper stir fry (it's just peppers and onions)

Cooked rice (white, brown, instant - whatever blows your skirt up)

Cook the meat, drain if necessary. Add the peppers, then add the tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes. Pour over the rice. Tope with grated parm or romano cheese.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

I wish I had some recipes to share in this thread. Now if only I could get my grandmothers recipe for krumkake as I am part Scandinavian (Norwegian and Swedish at least) on my moms side. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shared a recipe for Black Bean Brownies over at the shelter a while back.  Yesterday I made Blonde Bean Brownies for the first time and I think they are quite good so I figured I would share the recipe here.  These are great for those who can't have gluten. 

1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 15.5 oz can, drained and rinsed) 

3/4 cup brown sugar (I used a little under 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 2 T light corn syrup - next time I would cut back on sugar as they are quite sweet)

1/4 cup quick oats

1/4 cup peanut butter 

2 tsp vanilla extract

3/4 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Place all ingredients in a food processor EXCEPT chocolate chips.  I used a blender, but a food processor would be much better.  Blend until smooth.  Pour into an 8 x 8 greased pan.  Cook at 350 for about 30 minutes.

• Upvote 1

I made this Szechuan Shrimp last night and it was so good that I'm sitting here daydreaming about it right now. It's the easiest recipe ever:

4 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons chili sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon honey

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I doubled this since I'm a spicy food fiend)

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/4 cup sliced green onions

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound shrimp, tails removed (I drizzled juice of half a lemon over shrimp)

1. In a bowl, stir together water, chili sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, honey, crushed red pepper, and ground ginger. Set aside

2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in green onions and garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in shrimp, and toss to coat with oil. Stir in sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and thickened.

3. Serve over rice.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I made this Szechuan Shrimp last night and it was so good that I'm sitting here daydreaming about it right now. It's the easiest recipe ever:

4 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons chili sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon honey

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I doubled this since I'm a spicy food fiend)

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/4 cup sliced green onions

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound shrimp, tails removed (I drizzled juice of half a lemon over shrimp)

1. In a bowl, stir together water, chili sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, honey, crushed red pepper, and ground ginger. Set aside

2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in green onions and garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in shrimp, and toss to coat with oil. Stir in sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and thickened.

3. Serve over rice.

Dear Dog this sounds delicious!  Thanks for posting it!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

grain free great tasting pancakes. 

this is about as simple as it gets. 

2 eggs

one banana

(I have found they work best with bananas that are a tiny bit green) ripe ones will not hold together unless really small.

I use a little bit of vanilla and a pinch of salt. 

throw it in a blender till it gets full of air. I use a non stick pan with some butter to cook them my wife likes them with just butter or now cinnamon and sugar. 

they cook about the same and pretty fast. you can only make them this large with slightly green bananas 

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

People asked for my apple pie recipe in the Specularium, so here goes:

Crust

• 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 stick of very cold butter
  • 1/2 cup cold coconut oil
  • 2/3 cup cold water

The butter and coconut oil must be really cold. Cut both into little pieces and pop them in the freezer for 15 minutes. Mix flour, sugar and salt. Mix in butter and coconut oil with an electric mixer until crumbly. Add only half a cup of ice cold water and mix. If it's not enough water to make a dough, add the rest of the water. Quickly roll into a ball so the dough doesn't get warm. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least two hours.

Filling

• 4-5 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into slices
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 pinch cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Divide the dough in half. Roll out one half until the crust is about 1/8 inch thick. Press into pie form. Mix apples, flour, sugar and cinnamon and add to pie form. Roll out the second half of the pie crust and add to pie. Pierce the top a few times to let out the steam.

Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375, cover pie with aluminum foil and back another 50 minutes.

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2014 at 11:34 AM, Rescinded and Mended said:

I've got a recipe for a perfect Boston Cream Pie, if anyone is interested.

I do, I do! It's my mom's favorite cake and I've never made it for her.

On 3/30/2014 at 11:34 AM, Rescinded and Mended said:

Anyone have any recipes for delicious coffee drinks that are low sugar? I'm trying to watch my sugar intake right now.

I don't drink coffee, but I use sugar free Torani (or there's another one - can't remember the brand) to add flavor to tea and to protein drinks.

Also, if you like chai flavor, I use sugar-free Big Train Chai as my "creamer" in tea. My daughter likes it mixed with coffee.

I buy both the syrups and the chai mix at Cash 'n' Carry, a restaurant supply store. They don't mind retail customers.

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2016 at 2:53 PM, AlysonRR said:

I do, I do! It's my mom's favorite cake and I've never made it for her.

I don't drink coffee, but I use sugar free Torani (or there's another one - can't remember the brand) to add flavor to tea and to protein drinks.

Also, if you like chai flavor, I use sugar-free Big Train Chai as my "creamer" in tea. My daughter likes it mixed with coffee.

I buy both the syrups and the chai mix at Cash 'n' Carry, a restaurant supply store. They don't mind retail customers.

Thank you! I will have to try both of those. Watching my sugar intake is always good, but I have discovered I can't live without coffee. :) 

So I've tried many Boston Cream Pie recipes in my day, but none of them hold a candle to this one. It's the best I've ever had. I've scanned the recipe in, Courtesy of the cookbook 'In the Kitchen with America's Favorite Brand Name Recipes', page 306.

There are a couple of adjustments to the original recipe that I recommend. First thing it will tell you to do is to make the cake layers...by making one cake layer according to the recipe, and then splitting in half horizontally through the middle to make 2 layers. In my experience, the cake layer that bakes up is way to thin for this. Double the cake layer recipe. I recommend having two equal size, round baking pans, the ones with the buckles on the outer edges that will allow you to pop the latch and release the sides of the cake easily so you can move the layer without it collapsing or breaking up. Make one full cake for one pan, and a second for another (don't split the batter into two parts).

My second bit of advice is to make sure you follow the cream filling part of the recipe exactly to the letter. It's more of a custard, honestly, and you really do have to keep stirring it constantly. If you leave it for even a moment, it will start sticking to the pan and cooking into a sort of flan cake. 

The chocolate glaze is easy and doesn't need any adjustments or tweaks. Enjoy! (And let me know if you can read this easily, it scanned in at a curve)

Boston Cream Pie Recipe.jpg

On 3/23/2016 at 2:44 PM, Rescinded and Mended said:

So I've tried many Boston Cream Pie recipes in my day, but none of them hold a candle to this one. It's the best I've ever had. I've scanned the recipe in, Courtesy of the cookbook 'In the Kitchen with America's Favorite Brand Name Recipes', page 306.

Thank you very much :-)  I'll let you know how it goes!

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.