IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

Anyone have a chocolate cake recipe inwhich the cake actually rises? Mine always end up rock hard and flat as a pancake. What am I doing wrong??

Make sure your baking soda/baking powder is good and use this recipe - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/one-bowl-c ... etail.aspx - but up the cocoa to a full cup. (The batter will be extremely watery, this is ok.)

I need some dinner suggestions. I usually have an idea of what I'm going to cook a head of time, but today nothing inspires me and my leftover stash is empty. I thought I'd throw this out to the Hive, shower and then make a trip to the store for any needful items. I'd love some comfort food, but I'm doing really well on my diet so mac and cheese

with stuffed pork chops is out. I've got chix breasts and thighs in the freezer, hard squash and yams, tomatoes, and a cupboard full of spices.

How often do you check on the cake? Opening the oven door too much alters the temp and keeps the cake from rising.

How much do you beat the batter? Overbeating allows the gluten to start to develop and leads to a tougher cake.

I don't open it at all if possible (unless there is smoke. Sometimes there is smoke.)

The recipe I have calls for folding in dry into the wet, no beating.

Make sure your baking soda/baking powder is good and use this recipe - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/one-bowl-c ... etail.aspx - but up the cocoa to a full cup. (The batter will be extremely watery, this is ok.)

How do I know if it's good? It's less than 6 months old if that's what you mean? Are different brands better? Are some just powedered chalk?

I'll check out that recipe, thanks :)

How do I know if it's good? It's less than 6 months old if that's what you mean? Are different brands better? Are some just powedered chalk?

I'll check out that recipe, thanks :)

With baking powder, drop a spoonful into a glass of hot water. If it bubbles, it's still good. With baking soda, put some in a dish and add a splash of vinegar. If it bubbles a lot, it's still good. :)

I was ravenous this morning and the usual steel cut oats were not going to fly.

PASTA PUTTANESCA

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 (14 ounce) can of chopped tomatoes-approximately 410 grams

10 olives, cut off the pit and chopped up

2 Tablespoons capers, chopped up

1 teaspoon brown sugar

2 Tablespoons parsley or basil, chopped up

cooked thin spagetti

Saute garlic and pepper flakes in olive oil until garlic starts to turn golden. Add the canned tomatoes, olives, capers, brown sugar and about a cup of water. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until a thick sauce develops. Add parsley or basil and take off heat.

While sauce is simmering, make the pasta. Toss pasta and sauce together and enjoy as is or with a bit of grated cheese. Makes about 3 servings.

I must honor this recipe. It has been my go to and with tomatoes in season I've really been enjoying it. Since I don't keep olives handy I substitute capers and add anchovies to melt into the garlic. I've loved puttenesca all my life and have finally achieved the perfect recipe.

Thank you so very much.

I don't open it at all if possible (unless there is smoke. Sometimes there is smoke.)

The recipe I have calls for folding in dry into the wet, no beating.

Hm. When you say "sometimes there is smoke", if you're being totally serious and not facetious it occurs to me that your oven might not be at the right temperature. Sometimes oven thermostats are a bit wonky and when YOU think you have it set to 350 or 275 or whatever it really is as much as 50 or 60 degrees off. Can you get a separate thermometer to check the temperature?

Hm. When you say "sometimes there is smoke", if you're being totally serious and not facetious it occurs to me that your oven might not be at the right temperature. Sometimes oven thermostats are a bit wonky and when YOU think you have it set to 350 or 275 or whatever it really is as much as 50 or 60 degrees off. Can you get a separate thermometer to check the temperature?

Sorry, was being silly :oops:

The oven seems to be at the right temperature, it cooks everything else ok. I think I'm just not making the batter right.

GINGER MARINATED CHICK PEAS

1/2 Pound dry chick peas

1 Bay leaf

1/2 Red onion, finely minced

2 Cloves of garlic, finely minced

2 Tablespoons of fresh ginger, grated or finely minced

5 Tablespoons olive oil

5 Tablespoons lemon juice

3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar

Soak dry chick peas overnight. Rinse and cover with about 3 inches of water, throw in bay leaf. salt water and bring to a boil.* Simmer until tender. Drain and let cool. Add ingredients red onion through red wine vinegar, salt and and pepper. Mix and cover. Put in fridge for at least 1 hour. Leaving in fridge one to several days makes it even better. Periodically toss the chick peas in the marinade.

Serve with pita, or with rice, or with couscous..............You all get the picture.

*You can substitiute about 3-4 cans of chickpeas.

I must honor this recipe. It has been my go to and with tomatoes in season I've really been enjoying it. Since I don't keep olives handy I substitute capers and add anchovies to melt into the garlic. I've loved puttenesca all my life and have finally achieved the perfect recipe.

Thank you so very much.

Aw, your welcome expdd. I am always happy to see an entry from the People's Republic of Boregonia on this thread. Now that the weather is finally cooling here, I am looking forward to making the Yom Tam soup recipe you posted. :mrgreen:

Made the Pork souvlaki - terrific. Making the sweet n sour Meatballls tomorrow. My family thanks you FJ!

Sorry, was being silly :oops:

The oven seems to be at the right temperature, it cooks everything else ok. I think I'm just not making the batter right.

If you're unsure, you can always pick up a cheap oven thermometer, as sort of suggested above - it shouldn't be more than $10. I've bought the brand Good Cook in the past. My old oven drove me batty until I figured out it took about 10 minutes longer to preheat after the preheat setting turned off, therefore nothing was cooking at the proper temperature and everything was underdone.

I made a lemon yoghurt cake yesterday and it turned our fabulous. I even needed to cook it slightly longer than the recipe said, so I don't think it's the oven. Must be me and chocolate cake just don't mix :(

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a Guinness lamb stew? I've found a couple recipes online but I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a Guinness lamb stew? I've found a couple recipes online but I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

I don't, but I do have a great recipe for Guinness cake!

I don't, but I do have a great recipe for Guinness cake!

I think the partner would love you forever if you care to share that. One of the saddest things to him is the only place here that can pour a good Guinness is a bar that isn't friendly to gays.

Made Teddybear's Chicken noodle casserole. Great comfort food on a wet and gloomy NJ day.

I think the partner would love you forever if you care to share that. One of the saddest things to him is the only place here that can pour a good Guinness is a bar that isn't friendly to gays.

Your wish is my command... :D This is my family's recipe. I didn't know if you're American or not, so I've provided US measurements as well as imperial just in case. I used an online kitchen weights converter though, so I can't vouch that the American measurements are exactly right!

Ingredients

8oz/1 cup butter

8oz/1 cup soft brown sugar

4 large eggs, beaten

10oz/2 1/2 cups plain flour

8oz/1 1/3 cups seedless raisins

8oz/1 1/3 cups sultanas

4oz/1 cup mixed candied peel

4oz/1 cup chopped walnuts

4oz/1 cup quartered glace cherries

2 level tsp/1 1/2 level US tsp mixed spice

3 bottles of Guinness

Method

1. Grease and line with greaseproof paper a 9" diameter round cake tin. Heat the oven to Gas Mark 3/325F/170C.

2. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl. Slowly add the eggs and beat well. Fold in the flour and spice and add the rest of the dry ingredients. Open the first bottle of Guinness and add 4 tbsp (beware, UK tablespoons are slightly larger than US ones) to the mixture. Mix well.

3. Put the mixture into the prepared cake tin and place in the oven. Bake at Gas Mark 3/325F/170C for 1 hour, then reduce the heat to Gas Mark 2/300F/150C for a further 1 1/2 hours until cooked. Cool in the tin.

4. When cool, remove from the tin, peel off the greaseproof paper and place the cake upside down on a large plate with a raised edge.

5. Prick the base with a skewer and slowly pour over 5 fluid oz of the remaining Guinness, allowing it to soak in evenly.

6. Pour the remaining Guinness into a straight glass and drink slowly, allowing it to soak in evenly.

7. Two days later repeat stages 5 and 6 using the second bottle of Guinness.

8. In a further two days, repeat stages 5 and 6 using the third bottle of Guinness.

9. Leave the cake for a further week before cutting.

:D

Your wish is my command... :D This is my family's recipe. I didn't know if you're American or not, so I've provided US measurements as well as imperial just in case. I used an online kitchen weights converter though, so I can't vouch that the American measurements are exactly right!

Ingredients

8oz/1 cup butter

8oz/1 cup soft brown sugar

4 large eggs, beaten

10oz/2 1/2 cups plain flour

8oz/1 1/3 cups seedless raisins

8oz/1 1/3 cups sultanas

4oz/1 cup mixed candied peel

4oz/1 cup chopped walnuts

4oz/1 cup quartered glace cherries

2 level tsp/1 1/2 level US tsp mixed spice

3 bottles of Guinness

Method

1. Grease and line with greaseproof paper a 9" diameter round cake tin. Heat the oven to Gas Mark 3/325F/170C.

2. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl. Slowly add the eggs and beat well. Fold in the flour and spice and add the rest of the dry ingredients. Open the first bottle of Guinness and add 4 tbsp (beware, UK tablespoons are slightly larger than US ones) to the mixture. Mix well.

3. Put the mixture into the prepared cake tin and place in the oven. Bake at Gas Mark 3/325F/170C for 1 hour, then reduce the heat to Gas Mark 2/300F/150C for a further 1 1/2 hours until cooked. Cool in the tin.

4. When cool, remove from the tin, peel off the greaseproof paper and place the cake upside down on a large plate with a raised edge.

5. Prick the base with a skewer and slowly pour over 5 fluid oz of the remaining Guinness, allowing it to soak in evenly.

6. Pour the remaining Guinness into a straight glass and drink slowly, allowing it to soak in evenly.

7. Two days later repeat stages 5 and 6 using the second bottle of Guinness.

8. In a further two days, repeat stages 5 and 6 using the third bottle of Guinness.

9. Leave the cake for a further week before cutting.

:D

Oh that sounds decadent! I am American, but I understand other measurements as my grandparents were from Ireland and they taught me to cook.

One question. Have you ever made this without the nuts? Do the nuts add to the flavor? I am highly allergic, so while I'll try it without but I wanted to see if it will truly change the flavor.

I want to do scallops wrapped in bacon tomorrow night, under the grill. Any tips, don't dos?

I want to do scallops wrapped in bacon tomorrow night, under the grill. Any tips, don't dos?

Don't forget to remove the abductor muscle from the scallop and precook your bacon. :D

Precook the bacon? Wouldn't that dry it out? Doesn't it cook under the grill? You see, this is why I suck at cooking :( I'm going to poison my husband!

Guest Anonymous
Precook the bacon? Wouldn't that dry it out? Doesn't it cook under the grill? You see, this is why I suck at cooking :( I'm going to poison my husband!

It would take way longer to cook bacon (from its raw state) than it would take to cook the scallops. By the time the bacon was done, the scallops would be like rubber.

Edited: missing word.

Thanks Sogba, it does make sense now I think about it :D. Would 5-6 minutes seem right? What heat would you do them under? 170?

Guest Anonymous
Thanks Sogba, it does make sense now I think about it :D. Would 5-6 minutes seem right? What heat would you do them under? 170?

I have absolutely no idea about grilling (I'd do it in a pan). Here are some links:

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/blog/cooking-techniques/how-to-cook-scallops/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/prosciuttowrappedsca_93051

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-scallops-wrapped-in-bacon/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.