IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

This is my recipe hoarding grandmother's "secret" pound cake. She's been dead for 7 years and I doubt she has the ability to come back and haunt me at this point.... Its insanely good:

Baba’s pound cake:

½ lb butter

½ lb margarine ~imperial brand (this is the secret ingredient)

6 eggs

4 cups flour

1/2t salt

â…” cup milk

Ceam margine sugar and butter until creamy. Add eggs. beat until creamy and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and milk alternatively. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes or until done. Bake in large tube or bundt cake pan.

Super proud of myself tonight. Suzy homemaker I am NOT but this morning while my Mum was babysitting I threw some chicken legs into the crockpot with soya sauce, ginger, mint, corriander, onion and garlic flicked it on low and waahlaa 6 hours later dinner was done. Feeling very much the good wife tonight. :D

I just had to share this recipe. It was passed on to me by a pal who belongs to the Sunset Mag. wine club and was part of one of their tasting dinners. The spice combination is fantastic.I've tried several versions and substituted seared pork loin slices, tofu as well as cracked dungeness crab. The spices alone make an fantastic rub over a pork roast (let it sit for two days in the fridge). When I made it with tofu I used pre pressed slices, you can press your own and lightly sear them if using fresh firm tofu. When using tofu instead of fish or meat take care for the broiling portion since the tofu has a low burn point. It prepares ahead easily and I do prefer to make it in the morning and let the goodness sit all day before cooking it.

Indian Spiced Salmon

SERVES 4

TIME 45 minutes

Ingredients

4 pieces boned salmon fillet (6 oz. each; about 1 in. thick)

2 sweet onions (1 lb. total), peeled and slivered

2 tbsp. butter, melted

3 tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar

2 tsp. ground coriander

1 tsp. ground fennel seeds*

1/2 tsp. each cayenne, ground cardamom, ground cumin, and salt

1/4 tsp. each pepper, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon

1 tbsp. lemon juice

2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Lemon wedges

Directions 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Rinse salmon and pat dry. Line a 12- by 18-in. baking pan with foil and set pieces, skin down, 1 in. apart in pan. Scatter onions around salmon.

2. In a small bowl, stir together butter, brown sugar, coriander, fennel seeds, cayenne, cardamom, cumin, salt, pepper, cloves, and cinnamon. Stir in lemon juice. Brush mixture evenly over tops and sides of salmon pieces.

3. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil salmon 6 in. from heat until top is bubbling and well browned and fish is opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 4 to 6 minutes.

4. With a spatula, transfer salmon pieces to a serving dish (leave skin behind) and surround with onions. Sprinkle with cilantro and garnish with lemon wedges.

*Grind fennel seeds by pulsing in a blender or crushing in a mortar.

PER SERVING 418 cal., 50% (207 cal.) from fat; 32 g protein; 23 g fat (6.9 g sat.); 21 g carbo (1.9 g fiber); 456 mg sodium; 106 mg chol.

Sundried Tomato Hummus

This is a basic recipe that's really good, if it's hard to find tahini at your grocery store. I think it has a lot of flavor for such a simple recipe.

1 can garbanzo beans (drained)

4 TB sun-dried tomato in oil

2-4 minced garlic cloves (I LOVE garlic, I usually have more)

4-5 TB water

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Put all together in a food processor, blend until smooth, and serve with toasted pita wedges, crackers, veggies....

It's been cold and rainy for a week and I was desiring some soup. This is a version of Tom Yam I make at home. Some items are specialty ingredients that can be found at Asian markets.

1lb cleaned shrimp or one block of firm tofu pressed, cubed and fried.

1bunch of green onions

1 package cellophane noodles

1 can of coconut milk

2qts of veggie or chicken stock

3 Tbl lemon grass fresh or in the tube

2 jalapenos

2Tbl Vietnamese or Thai chilli paste

4 Tbl chilli paste with holly basil, you can sub an equal amt. of regular chilli paste and one star anise

2 carrots, slice into match sticks

1 yam (garnet prefered) cubed

2tbl ginger

3 garlic cloves.

bean sprouts.

Nam Pla

Take the carrots, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, jalapenos and chilli pastes and lightly saute. Add chicken stock and simmer until the yams are not quite done, stir in the coconut milk, briefly simmer and add 3 bundles of cellophane noodles and shrimp or tofu, add soy sauce and Nam Pla to taste. Lightly simmer until noodles soften and shrimp and tofu are heated. Serve over fresh bean sprouts, with chopped green onions on top.

This is a rich hot spicey soup, adjust the chilli to your taste.

This is my recipe hoarding grandmother's "secret" pound cake. She's been dead for 7 years and I doubt she has the ability to come back and haunt me at this point.... Its insanely good:

Baba’s pound cake:

½ lb butter

½ lb margarine ~imperial brand (this is the secret ingredient)

6 eggs

4 cups flour

1/2t salt

â…” cup milk

Ceam margine sugar and butter until creamy. Add eggs. beat until creamy and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and milk alternatively. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes or until done. Bake in large tube or bundt cake pan.

How much sugar?

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help here before I make gloodles.

I took leftover pot roast and put it in the crock pot with the gravy more carrots onions and dried string beans. When its done I want to add some diced left over asparagus. I would like to bake the whole mess with noodles (those mini lasagna looking ones). But I'm inherently lazy and am wondering if it would be too emily to just as some almost cooked noodles to the crock pot?

Why would you not be able to just cook the noodles, and then dump the contents of the crock pot over them and mix till noodles are coated?

Two weeks ago, I got selected to be a cookbook tester for a new dessert book! It's by the author who wrote "Vegan Cookie Connoisseur" and the new book is all desserts inspired by drinks. So far I have made two recipes, Hazelnut Black Tea Pear Muffins and Cranberry Lime Gin & Tonic Cookies. Both were delicious! The bad thing is that I am not allowed to share recipes until after the book comes out, but I will keep everyone posted.

How much sugar?

My folks and I had a falling out. :( Long story. However, I'm going ot see her to drop something off that belongs to her sometime this week, i will totally ask her then. Sorry i'm just getting back to this now!

My folks and I had a falling out. :( Long story. However, I'm going ot see her to drop something off that belongs to her sometime this week, i will totally ask her then. Sorry i'm just getting back to this now!

Is it 1 lb of powdered sugar, perhaps? Not trying to butt in, I've just seen a similar recipe and wanted to know if your grandmother's was the same!

I'm a long-time lurker who finally joined after finding this thread.

This is a recipe of my mom's that is a big hit with those of all ages, especially in the autumn.

Pumpkin Bread

Sift together and set aside:

2/3 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup white flour

1 1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice OR 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine:

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup water

1 cup canned pumpkin or 1 cup pumpkin of a similar consistency (moist, pureed, seedless)

Mix liquid ingredients well. Add dry ingredients and mix until well blended.

Spoon into greased loaf pan.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 60-75 minutes or until done.

Does anybody have an amazing mac and cheese recipe they want to share? Just your run of the mill mild cheddar and buttery goodness? It's one thing my italian blood just doesn't do very well. I'm throwing a dinner party and want some great cheesy goodness to go with the roast beef - and suck up to the future ILs who love the stuff.

Does anybody have an amazing mac and cheese recipe they want to share? Just your run of the mill mild cheddar and buttery goodness? It's one thing my italian blood just doesn't do very well. I'm throwing a dinner party and want some great cheesy goodness to go with the roast beef - and suck up to the future ILs who love the stuff.

I always make a double batch of this, except I use 16 oz. mild white cheddar mixed with 4 oz. of extra sharp cheddar to make it super creamy: www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown ... index.html

I always make a double batch of this, except I use 16 oz. mild white cheddar mixed with 4 oz. of extra sharp cheddar to make it super creamy: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

I use extra sharp cheddar mixed with monterey jack and also cream cheese. And I grate some carrot into it. And make it with cauliflower instead of macaroni. And sometimes add ham. But other than THAT, it's my recipe as well.

I use extra sharp cheddar mixed with monterey jack and also cream cheese. And I grate some carrot into it. And make it with cauliflower instead of macaroni. And sometimes add ham. But other than THAT, it's my recipe as well.

lmao. It's 2:40am here and I up sick and came to this thread to find a good recipe and about fell over reading this. I absolutely love all the changes.. but it's totally your recipe! Thank you for making me laugh tonight.

lmao. It's 2:40am here and I up sick and came to this thread to find a good recipe and about fell over reading this. I absolutely love all the changes.. but it's totally your recipe! Thank you for making me laugh tonight.

LOL, yeah, and I forgot I add some thyme and parsley, because, as I say, "green stuff makes it healthy". But it really is delicious once you add lots of... um... stuff to it. (Actually, I could've sworn the Alton Brown recipe already had thyme and parsley in it. Maybe he has two recipes for mac and cheese?)

LOL, yeah, and I forgot I add some thyme and parsley, because, as I say, "green stuff makes it healthy". But it really is delicious once you add lots of... um... stuff to it. (Actually, I could've sworn the Alton Brown recipe already had thyme and parsley in it. Maybe he has two recipes for mac and cheese?)

I put spinach and tomatoes in mine, top it with crumbled bacon and call it BLT mac and cheese. :) I figure that makes it a healthy meal or something, plus, who doesn't love BLTs? I have my version of the recipe on my blog, but it's not very different than the original, other than the aforementioned additions.

Hey, I went with the "usual" formula and used 4 cups of sugar. It was delicious. My 3 sisters were like hungry hounds coming to my apartment to devour all my pound cake. Heh. I made another one. Sliced it up and froze individual slices for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I hope you and your parents can work things out.

I call this "Mexican tabouleh", even though that's fairly inaccurate:

Combine one cup of quinoa with two cups of water; bring to a boil, then simmer (covered) for 12-15 minutes, until the grain has absorbed the water. Stir/fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

Rinse and drain one (15-ounce) can of black beans; combine with a cup of yellow corn, one cup of diced tomatoes, one cup of diced bell peppers (use several colors for fun), three diced scallions, several sprigs of minced fresh parsley, six tablespoons of olive oil, two tablespoons of lemon juice, two teaspoons of ground cumin, and salt/pepper to taste.

Add quinoa. Fold to combine and blend, then chill a few hours before serving. Here's how it looks:

[attachment=0]Salad.jpg[/attachment]

Crockpot chicken soup for the working mom:

4 onions, quartered but NOT peeled if the skins are clean

big handful of baby carrots

1 parsnip, cut into a few pieces

1 celery, cut into a few pieces

2 cubes frozen garlic or cloves cut up

2 cubes frozen dill or a bunch of fresh dill

3-4 chicken carcasses (I use kosher chicken and don't add additional salt, but I've been told that regular chicken is less salty so a pinch of salt could be needed)

Dump all of the above into a 6 qt. crock pot. Fill the crock pot with water. Set on HIGH for 7 hours, so it cooks while you are either asleep or at work. Pour soup through strainer, into a big pot. If you do plan to eat it right away, pour into mason jars (a funnel is useful) to put in fridge or freezer, leaving a bit of room for expansion in the freezer. Remove layer of fat from top of jars before serving. There will also be a layer of sediment at the bottom to avoid.

Roast Chicken:

I use thighs or leg, but you could use breasts - just alter cooking time

Chicken pieces

grainy deli or dijon mustard

balsamic vinegar

pinch of thyme

pinch of rosemary

pinch of herb salt

pinch of fresh ground black pepper

1 cube frozen garlic or one fresh glove, minced

Combine the above, toss in chicken pieces.

I roast the thighs or legs uncovered at 400 for 30 min. then cook at 325 until it's done.

I must go forage for dinner materials since this is Funday Friday and Rapture day. I'm bored of eating beans and meat, and just finished off a curried chicken salad.

Can someone inspire me? I'm low on carbs, eat fresh veggies, have a couple of sides of salmon in the freezer and need to use up some celery. I've already made desert which is fruit salad.

Guest Anonymous
I must go forage for dinner materials since this is Funday Friday and Rapture day. I'm bored of eating beans and meat, and just finished off a curried chicken salad.

Can someone inspire me? I'm low on carbs, eat fresh veggies, have a couple of sides of salmon in the freezer and need to use up some celery. I've already made desert which is fruit salad.

I like to do an Asian sort of marinade for salmon. I don't measure but I know you cook a lot so I'm sure you can eyeball it.

Clove of minced garlic

Toasted sesame oil

Soy sauce

Dash of rice wine vinegar

Just a little honey

Cracked red pepper flakes

I put the salmon in a ziploc with the marinade for an hour or so in the fridge and then broil. Sorry, I've got nothing for celery. Slap some peanut butter or almond butter on it and have it for a snack?

For people who aren't low carb you can make extra marinade (don't use leftover from the raw fish unless you cook it) and toss it with soba noodles for a side. They're good cold, too.

I like to do an Asian sort of marinade for salmon. I don't measure but I know you cook a lot so I'm sure you can eyeball it.

Clove of minced garlic

Toasted sesame oil

Soy sauce

Dash of rice wine vinegar

Just a little honey

Cracked red pepper flakes

I put the salmon in a ziploc with the marinade for an hour or so in the fridge and then broil. Sorry, I've got nothing for celery. Slap some peanut butter or almond butter on it and have it for a snack?

For people who aren't low carb you can make extra marinade (don't use leftover from the raw fish unless you cook it) and toss it with soba noodles for a side. They're good cold, too.

I do a similar marinade and you just got me inspired and without a trip to the store. I'll do up the salmon, and then toss it with some buckwheat soba, chopped celery and onions and tomatoes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.