IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

I promised to report back on my freezing experiments. The mashed potatoes worked just fine - I froze them in scoops on baking parchment a month ago. Tonight I stuck 3 scoops in a small casserole dish and nuked them. I am pleased to report that they came out just fine! A convenient side dish when I spent the day studying.

• 2 weeks later...

kittypie,

I love americanstestkitchen and their magazine, called COOKS ILLUSTRATED. Friend of mine got me on to them years ago and I have to say I have never had a recipe from them turn out bad. Their tips and product ratings are also kick ass. May the stove be with you. :ugeek:

kittypie,

I love americanstestkitchen and their magazine, called COOKS ILLUSTRATED. Friend of mine got me on to them years ago and I have to say I have never had a recipe from them turn out bad. Their tips and product ratings are also kick ass. May the stove be with you. :ugeek:

I recently made their banana bread and once again, best I've ever made. LOVE ATK!

We call this Uncle Bobby, because my Uncle Bobby gave me this mac-n-cheese ish receipe. Where he got it I do not know, but it is quick and easy and my family loves it.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Spray a 13X9 baking dish with cooking spray.

You'll need:

1 lb of elbow macaroni cooked

1 lb block of sharp white cheddar sliced (I prefer Cabot)

1 8 oz bag of shredded mozzerella

1 8 oz can of tomato sauce

3/4 c of milk and 1/2 stick of margarine heated until marg is melted

bread crumbs

Place 1/2 of the pasta in the baking dish. Top with half of the cheddar slices and the entire bag of moz cheese. Place the remaining pasta on top. Top this with the rest of the cheddar slices. Drizzle the tomato sauce on top. Pour the milk/marg mixture along the top. Sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until the casserole is bubbly in center. Serve immediately.

I have to say that I made this for my teen sons and OHMYGOD they won't stop talking about it. They love it.

Someone asked for my blister bean recipe on the instagram thread here it is. Adjust the hot peppers to suit your own taste. Its also great with fried tofu in it, but I usually used defrosted previously frozen tofu when I add it to the beans.

1 lb fresh string beans cleaned, French filets are the best.

1tsp peanut oil

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

crushed or whole dried red chillies

minced fresh garlic to taste

1tablespoon sweet soy sauce or 1tablespoon regular soy and 1/2 tsp sugar (honey won't work)

Make sure the beans are dried.

Heat the peanut oil in a wok or nonstick skillet, test the temp by throwing one bean into oil. If it blisters the oil is ready

Throw all the beans in the pan and cook until they are all blistered and blackened in places.

Lower heat, add remaining ingredients until garlic is cooked and beans are glazed. Whala!!

I'm going to make that Uncle Bobby for my nephew next time I go see his new baby, and I'm totally going to make those blister beans for meeeeee, they sound delicious.

Its soup tonight. This can be made with cannellini beans, great northerns, dried limas but tonight I'm making it with dried favas. You can make a vegetarian version by using veggie stock or plain water, but if you do be sure to add a drop or two of liquid smoke. I'm just learning to cook smaller batches but the rule of thumb is one cup dried beans (soaked) to 2 quarts liquid.

I'm using cured side bacon because it has little fat and no nitrates and is naturally smoked. You can use sliced ham steak, real bacon, or a ham hock. I don't use a lot of meat since I merely want the smokey goodness. If your family likes ham and beans throw a couple of diced ham steaks in it.

1C soaked fava beans rinsed

1 box chopped frozen spinach defrosted

fresh thyme

fresh rosemary

2 qts low sodium stock (veggie, chicken, or water for vegans)

5 oz diced side bacon

1 large onion diced

1/2 C diced celery

2C diced carrots

fresh garlic to taste

Put the stock into the crock pot on high add beans

Saute the bacon and veggies and herbs until the onions are clear add to the stock

I cook this on high for 8 hours. 1 hr before serving add the spinach

Serve with grated parmesan cheese on top and crushed hot peppers.

I love favas and this is a wonderful leftover soup that can be changed up by running it through the blender and adding some nonfat milk, so it can be a creamed soup the second day or freeze the leftovers and have it creamed the next time.

experiencedd, that soup looks fantastic! I have a rather unfortunate bacon shortage at the moment, because I love me some Amish bacon, and have not been to one of their markets in a while. I think I know where I'm heading this weekend. Muchas gracias for the recipe, definitely on my "to do" list.

experiencedd, that soup looks fantastic! I have a rather unfortunate bacon shortage at the moment, because I love me some Amish bacon, and have not been to one of their markets in a while. I think I know where I'm heading this weekend. Muchas gracias for the recipe, definitely on my "to do" list.

Favas have a tough skin, if you have problems with fiber consider making it creamed from the start or using a white bean. I had three huge bowls tonight. :D

Sweet potato oven fries.

One garnet yam per person.

1 large baking sheet

1large bowl

Preheat oven to 400F.

Peanut oil

spices-I use granulated garlic or Thai fried garlic crushed in a mortar, Thai fried shallots crushed or dried onion crushed, cumin, chilli powder, some curry, smoked paprika.

Slice your yams into steak fries. Put them all in a bowl and drizzle with peanut oil. Toss so all the pieces have a coating of oil, add spices and toss until all slices are spiced. I use my hands, but beware of paprika, turmeric and curry powder, if not washed off immediately will stain your hands.

Place all the pieces single layer on a sheet pan. Place on the middle rack. Check in 15 minutes, turn if necessary. Usually a sheet will take between 20 and 25. If the yams are heavy in sugar they may get a bit charred on the edges (yum). Lower the heat if you have a fast oven. Eat them while they are hot.

Dip, 1pt nonfat yogurt, chives, fresh or dried, 2 table spoons dried or fresh minced parsley 3 tablespoons vegetarian chicken stock powder, add crushed black pepper. If you can't find the vegetarian chicken stock powder, use Spike or Lawrys seasoned salt to taste. Mix well.

Leftover fries are great in a salad wrap with some dip inside.

experiencedd,

Made the soup tonight. It was DE-VINE. I am not worthy to look upon your bacon bra with these unholy eyes. :bow-yellow:

I adjusted because I don't owe a crock pot by soaking the beans overnight and then cooking in broth for 45 minutes, added the sauteed bacon and veggies and spinach until spinach was wilted. This is so going to be in the regular rotation at chez Arete Jo. Many, many thanks. :mrgreen:

experiencedd -

I just made your blister bean recipe with fried tofu for me and my sister who is visiting for the weekend, and it was delicious! She is going on and on about them. Thanks for posting the recipe!

experiencedd -

I just made your blister bean recipe with fried tofu for me and my sister who is visiting for the weekend, and it was delicious! She is going on and on about them. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Cool. Did you freeze the tofu first or use it fresh? When I first had this it was in a Schezuan rest. and they made it with minced pork instead of tofu.

I used fresh, extra firm, and wrapped it and weighted it for several hours to reduce the liquid content. When you use frozen do you just cube it up and throw it in the pan? (This was only my third time using tofu, so I'm not very experiened with it yet, but I love it!)

• 2 weeks later...

A mom acquaintance of mine was dropping off her daughter here for a playdate and mentioned that her husband was a hunter. I said I'd be interested in purchasing venison next time he went. When she picked up her daughter she gave me about 3 pounds of venison summer sausage! Now how do I prepare it, I ask those who are more familiar with cooking this treat?

I used fresh, extra firm, and wrapped it and weighted it for several hours to reduce the liquid content. When you use frozen do you just cube it up and throw it in the pan? (This was only my third time using tofu, so I'm not very experiened with it yet, but I love it!)

When I use frozen I press while defrosting to slice it, but frozen tofu is best crumbled. I just use clean hands and squeeze out all the water after defrosting. I crumble it in a strainer until ready for use. I use it like ground meat crumbles or depending on seasoning italian sausage crumbles, or pork sausage crumbles. :D

A mom acquaintance of mine was dropping off her daughter here for a playdate and mentioned that her husband was a hunter. I said I'd be interested in purchasing venison next time he went. When she picked up her daughter she gave me about 3 pounds of venison summer sausage! Now how do I prepare it, I ask those who are more familiar with cooking this treat?

When I think of summer sausage, I think of something along the lines of a bologna that you would slice and eat with cheese and crackers. Is that not what you received?

When I think of summer sausage, I think of something along the lines of a bologna that you would slice and eat with cheese and crackers. Is that not what you received?

Looks like it! Just peaked in the package, so I guess I need to thaw this one out now. Any ideas how to use it other than straight up? I was thinking with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes and white beans....guess I need to sample it first.

Looks like it! Just peaked in the package, so I guess I need to thaw this one out now. Any ideas how to use it other than straight up? I was thinking with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes and white beans....guess I need to sample it first.

Since it's already cooked, I suppose you could use it like a Spanish Chorizo or Andouille. I've never seen it served any way, but sliced on a cheese platter.

ETA: Here's a Jambalaya recipe using it: http://www.whatwereeating.com/recipes/j ... r-sausage/

:text-worthless:

Will all the gourmet FJ chefs please share pictures with us all? I want to drool more over your creations! :mrgreen: (green for St. Patricks's day!)

The jambalaya recipe sounds yummy! I have 2 fairly large hunks of the stuff - I'm thinking about topping ciabatta with some tomorrow. After that school starts back so the kitchen will be largely deserted and hopefully clean.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.