IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

I don't know where else to ask this. If it's in the wrong place, please let me know.

Can any of you recommend a high speed blender? I'm researching Blendtec and Vitamix, and both have more than one model, though Vitamix seems to be the most confusing.

No matter which, it will a pretty large chunk of money for me to lay out, so I'd appreciate feedback, please.

I have two Ninjas and love them both, but they just can't tackle some of the jobs.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

@LizzybetI don't have one, but I hear you need a PhD to run a Vitamix.  On another note, I've been meaning to add a recipe since Christmas.  I needed one more side dish, and a friend had given me this recipe some months back.  It is simple, and it was the one side dish that I had no leftovers.  Everyone loved it.

1 container sour cream (8 oz.)

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole corn undrained

1 stick butter (melted)

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease casserole or baking dish.  Mix all ingredients.  Poor into baking dish. Bake for 55-60 minutes. I also added a little black pepper for a kick, but that's optional.  It will now be my go to for all potlucks, holidays, etc.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

For anyone who is following the low carb, high fat way of eating, or just for anyone who likes a creamy cilantro dressing.  I found the original recipe on livingwell.com, and I modified it a bit.

Creamy cilantro avocado dressing:

1 medium avocado

3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro*
1/2 cup plain yogurt*
two scallions, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp sugar*
1/2 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, quartered*

In my version, I substituted about two teaspoons of a pre-made cilantro paste I bought at my grocery store; I also substituted full-fat sour cream for the yogurt, Truvia for the sugar; and I left out the garlic because I forgot to buy some.

Put all in a blender, mix well, and enjoy.  I topped my cheeseburger with some of the sauce last night.  I also like to make a taco salad and I'll use this as the dressing next time.

• Upvote 3

On 2017-01-02 at 9:57 PM, Lizzybet said:

I don't know where else to ask this. If it's in the wrong place, please let me know.

Can any of you recommend a high speed blender? I'm researching Blendtec and Vitamix, and both have more than one model, though Vitamix seems to be the most confusing.

No matter which, it will a pretty large chunk of money for me to lay out, so I'd appreciate feedback, please.

I have two Ninjas and love them both, but they just can't tackle some of the jobs.

Thanks!

My hairdresser has a Blendtec.  The day of my last appointment, (home salon) she said that she had left a spoon in the blender when she made her smoothie that morning.   Both the blender and the spoon survived.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Made violet jam using the recipe here:  http://www.motherearthliving.com/cooking-methods/down-to-earth-violet-freezer-jam

Yum.  I cut the sugar by 1/2 c and used 1.5 tbsp lemon juice.  Next time, I'll cut a bit more than a c of sugar and use less than a tbsp on lemon juice.   

Warning, if you make this violet flowers are a diuretic so use sparingly!  

_20170426_221937.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Jellybean
Here comes my personal Krautfleckerl recipe for you and all interested FJers

Krautfleckerl (Austrian-Bohemian cabbage pasta)

First of all: Keep it simple, don’t fuss about anything except your safety. This isn’t science or haute cuisine. This is plain, cheap, everyday soul food.

Ingredients for 4 servings

• About 300g small square pasta (uncooked)
  • 1/2 cabbage (about 800g)
  • 2 yellow or white onions
  • 2-4 tsp. caster sugar
  • 6 tsp. oil
  • caraway seeds
  • salt
  • pepper

Comments to ingredients

pasta: our pasta for this dish “Fleckerl” (little place) is about 2x2cm and slightly v-shaped (indented) (picture of dried, store-bought Fleckerl). All replacements of the pasta will really end up in a taste different to the original. However, I always support a cheap first try with known ingredients. Possible substitutes: cut/broken pieces of lasagne sheets, cut/broken pieces of extra-wide noodles, farfalle (= ribbon shaped pasta), or any short/small, rather flat pasta
Best is to keep the dry pasta to cabbage weight ratio between 2-3. I have eaten a nice leftover-use version with a 1,3 ratio. But really no-one wants to play hide and seek with the pasta-pieces so don’t go overboard with cabbage (higher then 3times the amount of pasta is overboard).

oil: Neither “extra high heat” nor “extra virgin” is necessary. Some prefer to use butter instead, both works really fine.

sugar: If your standard sugar is yellowish cane or brown use less. (Use what have, do not buy a special kind of sugar). Generally, less sugar means risking blandness, too much sugar is difficult to compensate here: add vinegar drop-wise and stretch with more pasta.

Directions

Wash the cabbage and remove the stalk. Cut into quarters, then cut into 2x2cm pieces (or 1x1 inches). Salt and let sit for 5-30 minutes.

Chop onions: somewhere between medium fine slices and medium sized cubes would be perfect. Too small/thin would get it burnt. Too large will increase the effort needed to get it soft.

Squeeze the cabbage to get out the liquid and drain.

Heat the oil/butter to medium high in a pot large enough for the whole cabbage heap.
Add sugar to caramelize: Stir, do not turn away, do not leave your stove top, in 2-3 minutes the sugar will melt and turn brown/darker.
Add the onions to caramelize and brown: Stir regularly until the onions are light to medium brown and soft.

Add the cabbage. Pour in about a cup of water and add some caraway seeds (1-2 pinches). Reduce heat, stir after a couple of minutes. Use a lid to keep the steam inside but stir regularly. Don’t forget to pick up the pasta sticks to the bottom of the pot (you do not want to scrap off a burnt sugar-pasta-mix). You might need to add some more water but be careful not to turn it into a sauce.
It will take around 15-30 minutes until the cabbage is soft.

Boil pasta, drain.

When the cabbage is soft, add the pasta. Mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.

“Guten Appetit” (Enjoy your meal)!

If you end up with something really bland, you can try to turn it into the savoury version: add chopped, fried bacon, dried marjoram and some more pepper.
 If you know from the beginning to like it meaty:

• prepare the cabbage and onions as above.
  • chop some slices of bacon (or buy bacon chopped into little cubes).
  • fry/brown the bacon pieces with the onions
  • add only a reduced amount of sugar afterwards. Caramelise to light brown.
  • add some dried marjoram before adding the cabbage.
  • You can add a cup of broth or a glass of wine instead of the cup of water.
  • Continue as above

Edited by Red Jumper
trying fixing the @
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw this and had to share... just in case you were stuck for dinner ideas tonight.... Yes, that is chicken, shrimp and bananas ... and mayo.

icky.jpg

Edited by MarblesMom
description of deliciousness

@MarblesMom I was just thinking about what I want for lunch today. Thanks for that :D 

Although I'm checking out that side dish of celery leaves and olives with ?chicken nuggets? and is that raisins too?  Looks mighty tempting.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like it came out perfectly! 

Somehow, I wound up hosting both my and Mr.'s family Christmases this year. Brunch for mine and dinner for his. I need easy stuff to make. Like, crockpot easy. Any ideas?

@DaisyD Not a crockpot recipe but still really easy: Lemon chicken and potatoes from the oven! Use chicken legs, potatoes, garlic, onions and marinade and put it on a cooking sheet. Let your oven do all the work. You can prepare everything the night before. There's tons of recipes out there if you look for lemon chicken from the oven. 

• Upvote 2

@DaisyD We often do an overnight egg bake for Christmas breakfast. It has a bunch of variables but you start with a starch layer and add a meat and veggie layer. Pour in an egg mixture (eggs, milk/cream, spices) and top with some type of cheese. You put it together the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. I can post our recipe if you'd like or you can just google something similar. I've done all sorts of versions: hash browns with ham, broccoli and cheddar cheese; left over rice with crab, asparagus, and hollandaise sauce; left over cornbread with leftover taco meat, tomatoes, peppers and pepper-jack cheese; you can make what ever combination you want.

For dinner you could do a crockpot pot roast or ham.

• Upvote 1

French toast from regular loaf bread can be easily reheated in a crock or the toaster (a loaf of this makes a good meal to drop off to new parents or someone with a recent death in the family as well).   

• Upvote 2

There is definitely potential in those ideas! A ham for dinner would probably go over best with the inlaws. I have no idea why, but chicken is not really a popular choice with that crowd. I will, however be looking at lemon chicken and potatoes for regular dinners. That sounds yummy, and it's definitely time to add something new in the rotation. 

Thank you ladies!:my_heart:

• Upvote 2

@DaisyD Hungarian goulash could be prepared in a large crockpot (just cook some pasta as a side), as could Hungarian Goulash Soup. You could serve the soup with sour cream, a variety of breads (French bread, rye bread, you name it) in addition to some appetizers. You can buy the latter. Olives, marinated Feta cheese, marinated smoked paprika, pickles, a salad etc. If you're into making stuff from scratch you can prepare your appetizers a few days before the big event.

ETA: here's a recipe I found. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hungarian-goulash-soup

The good thing about this is that goulash soup tastes even better reheated. You can prepare it a day in advance.

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 3

Goulash for Christmas!  :evil-laugh:  We Catholics are "fasting" ! So I just have fish soup, deep fried fish, potato salad with mayonnaise, potato salad with vinegar dressing and 2 other other salads, Christmas cake and Christmas cookies for dinner. You know, "fasting" the catholic way :giggle:

@DaisyD how large is your fridge? If you have the space you could do the prepping for deep fried something the day before. My husbands bakes a cake (family recipe) which needs to rest in the fridge as well. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to FG and am looking for ideas for easy quick healthy dinners. After working all day, I have no desire to cook dinner. And I try to use little or no processed food. Does anyone have any ideas?

On 1/5/2017 at 11:47 AM, Roux said:

@LizzybetI don't have one, but I hear you need a PhD to run a Vitamix.  On another note, I've been meaning to add a recipe since Christmas.  I needed one more side dish, and a friend had given me this recipe some months back.  It is simple, and it was the one side dish that I had no leftovers.  Everyone loved it.

1 container sour cream (8 oz.)

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole corn undrained

1 stick butter (melted)

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease casserole or baking dish.  Mix all ingredients.  Poor into baking dish. Bake for 55-60 minutes. I also added a little black pepper for a kick, but that's optional.  It will now be my go to for all potlucks, holidays, etc.

I made this last night. Super delish but I made it in a Le Cruset round and it was a little wetter than I would have liked. I am excited to make it in a 9x9 or 9x13. 

This is my brunch input for @DaisyD--
Here is our household's definitely-must-make, anything-else-is-not-an-option for Christmas morning:
CHRISTMAS MORNING BREAKFAST CASSEROLE (by ChickenettiLuvr)
8 slices white bread, cubed
6 large eggs, beaten
2 cups whole milk or half & half
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. spicy sausage, browned & drained
Mix all together in a large bowl.
Spray 7x10 baking dish with Pam(TM) cooking spray and dump casserole mixture into dish.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, bake 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve with cinnamon rolls of your choice and fresh fruit salad. (I usually do a citrus melange.)

**If you're serving more than 4-6 people, you might as well double the recipe! Then bake in a 11x17 baking dish.
IF you have leftovers, let them cool in the fridge. Then cut into serving squares and freeze in ziplocs.
It heats up well in the microwave and makes a great take-something-different-to-lunch.

• Love 2

Be careful what you wish for...  We were at a friend's house for an outdoor meal, when I commented that it was a shame the apples from his tree were just left to rot on the ground.  Surprise!  We were gifted two large boxes of apples in various stages of crisp yumminess, decomposition, and worminess, but managed to quickly peel, chunk and crockpot the lot of it into a basic, but delicious applesauce.  Highly recommend crockpot applesauce* - yum, yum, yum!

We froze the bulk of it, but have spooned the apple goodness over waffles and also added it to carrot cake for distribution to neighbors.

If anyone has applesauce-based recipes, I'd love to learn of them.  Also, I thought apple butter sounded good, but is it true that apple butter doesn't really have butter?  I did not know that! 

*The recipe - peel and chunk apples, put in crockpot with a little water (1/4 cup), sugar (1/2 cup), cinnamon (1 tsp).  Cook on low overnight.  Wake up to cinnamony smells and warm waffle topping!  (Measurements approximate depending on crockpot size and your taste.)

14 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

Also, I thought apple butter sounded good, but is it true that apple butter doesn't really have butter?  I did not know that! 

Yep, both applesauce and apple butter are made by slow-cooking apples with water, spices, and maybe a little sugar; at least some apple butter recipes have vinegar too. Applesauce isn't cooked as long, just until it's soft/saucy while apple butter is cooked longer so that it cooks down to become a thick, glossy, caramelized spread.

• Upvote 1

@CTRLZero  I'm not sure how sweet /cinnamonish your apple sauce is. So i's not sure if you could use it as substitute for shredded apples:

In this little corner on of the traditional sides of the boiled beef is apple horseradish. i know that sounds strange but tastes great if the apples are not too sweet.  It is simply shredded apples, fresh shredded horseradish, a little bit of lemon juice, salt, pepper. Stir well, serve cold - the consistency is somewhat between dip and sauce. Picture: The yellow on the bottom right is apple horseradish. The other sides for our boiled beef are a local version of fried potatoes, a chives yogurt dip, and boiled/creamed green vegetables (f.i. spinach)

Some Germans eat apple puree with hash browns, but I haven't tried it yet :my_rolleyes: (our northern neighbours have sometimes very different opionions on what's good).

I like apple puree to my Kaiserschmarrn.  Although you will find many recipes online, i think, it is like a huge, deluxe pancake torn to pieces. Deluxe= lot's of eggs, separated into white+yolk , the whipped white give them a fluffiness to make it fit for the namesake emperor, plus raisins for me. But the questions of raisins or no raisins might start a war in this country, so I guess, without is equally ok.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.