IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

This is a standard potluck dish for our Lutheran church and many SoCal churches in the area. I'm making it tomorrow for our BBQ at home. It's the only way my husband will eat cabbage.

Fumi Salad

This is an excellent salad to take to potlucks.

Try adding shredded chicken for a hardier dish.

1 med head green cabbage ( I cheat and use pre cut cole slaw mix)

8 green onions ( white and just a part of the green tops)

8 Tbsp. slivered almonds (2-oz pkg)

8 Tbsp. sesame seeds

2 pkgs. Top Ramen noodles (any flavor)

Dressing

4 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper (fresh ground)

8 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar

1/2-cup salad oil

1/4-cup sesame oil

Cut cabbage and green onions. Toast almonds and sesame seeds. Put noodles in a zip-lock bag and crush. Discard flavor packets.

Dressing: Combine the sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar in a bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved, then add oil and whisk until blended.

Combine cabbage and onion in bowl and toss with dressing. Just before serving add almonds, sesame seeds and noodles so noodles remain crunchy.

Serves: 8-10

Here's a cookie recipe I got from another (non-fundie-related) message board where I post. I make these for family and friends every Christmas, but they're good any time. I think the recipe makes about 5 dozen, if I remember correctly.

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

(thanks to N. for the recipe)

1-8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese

1 lb. of butter

2 cups of granulated sugar

4 cups of flour

Cream the cheese and butter thoroughly. Make sure they are at room temperature or you'll wear your arm out trying to cream them together. Or use a heavy duty mixer. Add the sugar and blend well. Add the flour and mix until completely blended. Put the bowl in the freezer for about a half hour, until dough is stiff but easy to roll into balls.

Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray. Roll dough in little balls about the size of a walnut or even smaller. Set on cookie sheets and smash flat with a glass dipped in granulated sugar. Sprinkle with red and green sugar. Bake for about 10-12 minutes at 350° until set and light brown on the bottom. Make sure they are taken off the cookie sheet right away or they might stick. They freeze like a dream. Hide from everyone until closer to Christmas.

We'll need something to wash all that great food down with:

Scorpion

3/4 oz. Myers's Original Dark Rum

1/4 oz. Martell Cognac

1/4 oz. orgeat

1 1/2 oz. Tropicana Orange Juice

1 1/2 oz. lemon juice

1/2 cup of crushed ice

Blend with crushed ice. Garnish with orange slice and mint sprig.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twisted Lemonade

1 1/4 ounces Smirnoff Citrus Twist vodka

1/2 ounce triple sec

1/3 cup sweet & sour mix

lemon wedge

1. Fill a 14-ounce glass with ice. Add vodka and triple sec.

2. Top off the drink with sweet & sour mix

3. Add a lemon wedge garnish and serve with a straw.

Makes 1 drink.

Tidbits

You can also add a splash of cranberry juice to make this a pink lemonade

twist.

Margarita Presidente

1 1/4 ounces Sauza Conmemoritivo tequila anejo

1/2 ounce Cointreau liqueur

1/2 ounce Presidente brandy

4 ounces (1/2 cup) sweet & sour mix

splash Rose's lime juice

1. Combine all ingredients in a shaker with crushed ice. Shake

2. Pour drink into a martini glass rimmed with salt. Add a lime wedge and

serve with the remainder of the drink in the shaker on the side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blue Wave Maggie

1 oz Tequila

4 oz sweet/sour mix or Margaritaville Mix

1/2 oz Arrow Blue curaco

8 oz crushed ice

blend till slushy and enjoy!

I love making Buffalo Chicken Dip. While it's unhealthy, it sure does make a spicy treat! Serve with celery or crackers.

Ingredients

2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken, drained **Note, I recommend buying skinless, boneless chicken breast strips instead**

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

1 cup Ranch dressing

3/4 cup pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot®)

1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 bunch celery, cleaned and cut into 4 inch pieces

1 (8 ounce) box chicken-flavored crackers

Directions

Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks and crackers.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/buffalo-ch ... etail.aspx

Buffalo chicken dip is so good. On the Fourth Of July I made some using the spicy buffalo Velveeta, using this recipe..

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/velveeta-buffalo-chicken-dip-74037.aspx

Instead of blue cheese dressing, I used ranch and instead of using regular Velveeta, I used the spicy buffalo kind.

Does anybody here have a good but easy recipe or tips for making turkey burgers? I would like to try making them for me, my son, and my boyfriend sometime and have never made them before.

This is a really easy recipe. They are nice with soups, stews in the winter and alongside salads in the summer.

CHEESE DROP BISCUITS

1 1/2 c. flour

4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)

3/4 c. shredded old cheddar cheese

1/4 c. salad oil

2/3 c. milk

Preheat oven to 450-475*. Grease cooking sheet. Sift dry ingredients and stir in cheese.

Make a well and pour in oil & milk. Combine lightly but completely. Drop by spoonfuls.

Bake 10-12 minutes.

Sour Rye Bread

3 cups beer

4 cups white flour

3 cups dark rye flour

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. yeast

1/4 cup molasses or sorghum

Using a heavy stand mixer (KitchenAid for example), mix using a dough hook until smooth. The dough will be very heavy and sticky. Place in a large lidded container and allow to sit out on the counter for 2-3 hours. The dough won't rise a whole lot, but you can see it get full of small bubbles. At this point you can bake the bread or place in the fridge for baking later. The dough does handle a lot better after being chilled and will keep in the fridge up to 2 weeks. When ready to bake, dust the top of the dough with a bit of flour and take half of the dough. Without working the dough too much, lightly flour and quickly for the dough into a flat ball with your hands. Place on a floured board or pie pan, cover with a towel and place in a warm spot for an hour and a half. After an hour and a half, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place a covered cast iron or enameled dutch oven in the oven to heat for about 30 minutes. When well heated, remove from oven, slash the top of the dough quickly and place in the heated dutch oven, cover and return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the cover of the dutch oven and continue baking another 3-15 minutes until the loaf is done and evenly browned. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack. Do not slice this bread until completely cooled or it will be gummy. Enjoy!

Variation: sometimes I will substitute 1/2 cup flaxseed meal for an equal amount of the rye flour.

If you are a fan of caraway seeds in your rye bread (I'm not), you can add 2 tsp. of caraway seeds when you mix up the dough.

Not my recipe but I make this all the time minus the capers and white wine.

Favosalata

I sometimes call this my Friday-with-a-martini dip. Served slightly warm and liberally sprinkled with caper, onion, fresh lemon, and olive oil, it plays nicely with cold, cold gin. Scoop it up with pita, crackers, crusty bread, a spoon, your fingers, whatever.

Like a lot of things in cooking, this is a pretty elastic recipe. The measurement of ingredients is merely suggestive, not final. Want a your dip tangier? Add more lemon and vinegar. Saltier? Go for it. The key is the consistency of the peas. If you undercook them, the texture will be unpleasant, if you overcook them, you’ve got mush. If forced to choose between the two, I would err towards the mush-end of the spectrum.

Makes about 4 cups, which serves about one in my house.

Ingredients:

1 pound yellow split peas (about three cups)

6 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole

6 cups cold water

1 cup white wine (Optional. If using, subtract one cup of water.)

The juice of three lemons

2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons finely grated red onion

About 3/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil,

A liberal amount of salt, kosher or sea salt

Thinly sliced red onion, for garnish

Capers, also for garnish

Preparation:

1. In a medium-sized sauce pan or dutch oven (my preference), add split peas, water (and wine, if using), and a good dose of salt. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer until the peas are tender. I repeat: undercooking them will lead to an unappetizing texture; overcooking them will take you all the way to split pea soup, which certainly does not spell the end of the world, simply the end of this recipe. Cooking time: about 35 to 40 minutes.

2. When peas are done, remove from heat and gently strain into a cheesecloth-lined colander, removing as much of the liquid as possible. Place the peas (along with the garlic they were cooked with) into a food processor or blender while still warm. Add the grated onion, lemon juice, and vinegar. Blend while drizzling in the olive oil. Note: you are not emulsifying the oil with anything, it is merely adding texture and flavor. Stop when the desired texture is reached, which is somewhere in the vicinity of smooth mashed potatoes.

3. Place desired serving amount in desired serving vessel, sprinkle with capers and sliced red onion, drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and serve warm to those whom you desire to serve.

Guest Anonymous

So, I unhid GoJiRa's post because I'm a sucker for a recipe. Of course it turned out to be copied and pasted word for word without any credit given.

Another helpful netiquette tip - You might want to give a link since you're taking the entire recipe, along with the commentary from here.

http://foodforthethoughtless.com/2009/0 ... ot-hummus/

Like hotlinking, this sort of thing is considered Very Bad Manners, although you do get credit for saying the recipe isn't your own. Seriously though, at least hat tip the person who did the work.

**Edited for word abuse.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fresh_basil_pesto/

I'm linking to this page because I love pesto, and there's some neat ideas for things you can do with it in the comments. I want to try making my own pesto using this recipe, but there's no way to take it to school with me and I won't have the tools to make it there. Store bought will have to do... :(

today I wanted to make a Duggars-themed lunch because I caught up with lots of episodes last week while recovering from my wisdom teeth surgery and my husband was making fun of my obsession. So, to celebrate my last day before going back to work and first solid foods since my surgery, I decided to make Tater Tot casserole and butterscotch brownies. I went to the grocery store to get Tasti Taters, which is the Canadian version of Tater Tots, and I was surprised to hear that they are not available in my province anymore! I don't know the reason, but I know they used to be available, I remember eating some when I was a teen (as a side-dish, never as a casserole, we don't eat those a lot here except for shepherds pie). Why do we Quebecers have to do everything differently? Well, I made it anyway, using crumbled hash-brown patties. It was still good, a welcome change from shepherds pie, but I certainly won't be making it every week, don't want to trigger my migraines with all that sodium. Very convenient for work lunches too. I added onions and peas to the meat.

Tonight I had to have dinner on my own since my husband works the evening shift, and I improvised something really nice.

We buy meat tortellini in bulk from Costco, and unlike most brands, they do not contain cheese, it's basically just ground beef and seasonings in pasta dough. So I decided to make Asian style tortellini, kind of like frugal dim-sum: instead of adding tomato sauce or pesto as I usually do, I added soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and some Red Rooster sauce. It was delicious!

One more quick and simple dinner idea for when I start my first "real job" next week !

We call this Uncle Bobby, because my Uncle Bobby gave me this mac-n-cheese ish receipe. Where he got it I do not know, but it is quick and easy and my family loves it.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Spray a 13X9 baking dish with cooking spray.

You'll need:

1 lb of elbow macaroni cooked

1 lb block of sharp white cheddar sliced (I prefer Cabot)

1 8 oz bag of shredded mozzerella

1 8 oz can of tomato sauce

3/4 c of milk and 1/2 stick of margarine heated until marg is melted

bread crumbs

Place 1/2 of the pasta in the baking dish. Top with half of the cheddar slices and the entire bag of moz cheese. Place the remaining pasta on top. Top this with the rest of the cheddar slices. Drizzle the tomato sauce on top. Pour the milk/marg mixture along the top. Sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until the casserole is bubbly in center. Serve immediately.

One Egg Tamagoyaki

* 1 ‘large’ egg

* 1 Tbs. water

* 1 tsp. soy sauce (gluten free)

* 1/4 tsp Stevia or 1tsp eq sugar replacement

* Oil/Butter for cooking

Mix all the ingredients together well with a fork or chopsticks. Heat up a small, non-stick frying pan and then coat with oil/butter or use non-stick spray (I use non stick, it's just easier)

Once the pan is hot, pour in the egg. Stir gently until it’s half-set.

Fold the egg in half with a spatula, the fold in the other side so the edge is even and it looks a bit like a burrito. Fold the bottom 1/3 up and press down, then fold the top 1/3 down and press down for a good 20-30 seconds. Flip it over to allow the other side to brown, pressing down while you do. Remove, cut in half to show your pretty layers and eat.

Nutritional:

Calories 132

Total Fat 5.1g

Saturated Fat 1.6g

Total Carbohydrates 3.5g

Protein 17.4g

so here's the translated recipe from the "what are you up to" thread, I don't have the pic on this computer

(I'm actually feeling bad because finally someone said they'd come over and have some and now I ate like half of it...)

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of yogurt

Mix them well so that the sugar is melted

2 cups of semolina fine (you'll find it in natural food store or at arabic markets)

1 teaspoon baking soda

Add to the yogurt and sugar and mix well

Instead of putting butter in the pan, put some tahini - but you can use butter too. Put the batter in the pan. Put in preheated oven at 375°C

While the cake is cooking, prepare the syrup

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of water

mix well until it boils, leave for 10 min at slow heat, when the heat is turned off, put 1 tbsp of butter

When the cake is still pale, cut in lozenges, put back in the oven until it's golden. Take out of the oven and pour the syrup (but the syrup has to be warm, not hot. I just put the pan in some cold water to cool it) You can put some cut almonds on top (one per lozenge) I did not have any.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, Sophie! Have you ever put flavoring in the syrup? I'm thinking that orange blossom or almond extract might be tasty.

Thanks, Sophie! Have you ever put flavoring in the syrup? I'm thinking that orange blossom or almond extract might be tasty.

Nope, but I'm sure it would work... I know that you can put coconut in the cake but I don't like coconut...

Ohh I think my old roommate used to make that and I want to say she used rose water or something like that in the syrup? She got it at the arabic market. SO yummy.

Here's one of my new favorites (not my recipe but I make it all the time) -- really easy, especially for risotto, and keeps in the fridge surprisingly well for leftovers, too!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-chicken-sausage-risotto/detail.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Easy Apple Cake

Ingredients

1 package (18-1/4 ounces) spice cake mix

1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling

2 eggs

2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.

Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.

Butterscotch Squares

6 cups Rice Krispies

1 cup peanut butter

1 bag butterscotch chips

Melt peanut butter and butterscotch chips together in a microwave safe bowl until melted (about 1 minute)

Mix in Rice Krispies

Put into any size pan you want - 8x8 for thick bars or 11x8.5 for not so thick. Cool for a few hours to harden.

You would never believe that such a simple recipe could actually taste so good.

Here's one of my all time favorite late summer early autumn recipes. Unfortunately I can't take credit for it as I discovered it on cooks.com :D

Mexican Zucchini Soup:

1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)

1 1/2 teaspoons butter

2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)

2 cups unpeeled, diced zucchini (10 ounces, or 2 small)

1 1/2 cups corn kernels (about 8 ounces)

2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño peppers

1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired, or to taste

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup low-fat or skim milk (optional)

2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (optional)

minced fresh parsley and ground nutmeg for garnish (optional)

In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in the butter until tender.

Stir in the broth, zucchini, corn, peppers, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and cook the soup until the zucchini is tender.

Optional:

Before serving stir in the milk, and heat the soup until it is hot but not boiling. Remove the soup from the heat, and either stir in the shredded cheese or use as a topping in the individual bowls. Garnish the soup with parsley and nutmeg if you like.

ETA: Sorry, I never measure ingredients when making this soup. I know the recipe calls for 2 cups of broth but I end up adding around 2 pints total.

LadyBBR - I believe I have all of those ingredients...I'm about to head to the kitchen and try it out.

I need some yummy bread recipes. I'm going to a Labor Day party and promised I'd bring some bread and I'd like to try some new recipes. Anyone?

Some great recipes here! I love to cook and have my own cooking blog.

http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com

teddybear, I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your blog. I've made several of your recipes and they all came out really well. My family thanks you.

On your smothered steak recipe, do you think I could make that in a crockpot if I braised the meat first? I know. . . crock pot. . . but both the AustinDude and I are back to work full-time and I just need to use it some days.

• 2 weeks later...

These all sound amazing! Snark AND recipes? Color me happy!

This is adapted from a Cook's Illustrated recipe and is my husband's favorite meal ever:

Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kha Gai)

Serves 4

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3 lemongrass talks: tough outer leaves removed, bottom 5 inches halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise

3 large shallots, chopped

8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped coarse

3 tablespoons fish sauce

4 cups low sodium chicken broth

2 cans coconut milk (14 oz), shaken well

1 tablespoon sugar

1 package of sliced white mushrooms, cleaned

1 pound boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/8 inch pieces

3 tablespoons lime juice (this is about 2-3 limes' worth)

2 tsp Thai red curry paste

Garnish:

1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves

2 serrano chilies, sliced thin

3 scallions, sliced thin

1 lime, cut into wedges

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until just shimmering. Add lemongrass, shallots, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon fish sauce; cook, stirring frequently, until just softened, 2-5 minutes (vegetables should not brown).

Stir in chicken broth and 1 can coconut milk, bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour broth through a fine mesh strainer and discard solids in strainer. Rinse saucepan and return broth mixture to pan.

Return pan to medium-high heat. Stir the remaining can coconut milk and sugar into the broth mixture and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, add mushrooms, and cook until just tender, 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until it's no longer pink, 1-3 minutes. Remove soup from heat.

Combine lime juice, curry paste, and remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce in small bowl; stir into soup. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chilies, and scallions. Serve immediately with lime wedges and jasmine rice either on side or in the soup.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.