IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

Baked avocados, anyone? I've been hooked on 'em lately.

http://www.melecotte.com/2012/05/baked_avocado_salsa/

There are lots of variations on this recipe out there (many of which incorporate seafood), but with seafood often being out of my budget and in less than peak form here in the Midwest, I'm a fan of the simpler tomato-based filling with spices and a bit of cheese/breadcrumbs on top. Mine never look quite as pretty as the one in the picture, but they sure taste good.

I make something like rhododactylos' recipe, so I can confirm that it's tasty.

My differences: I always add rosemary, do mine entirely in a skillet on the stove top and use waaaay less liquid so I don't need a slurry at the end. I don't normally dredge the chicken, either (when I do I consider it a take on francese).

To avoid using the oven and cornstarch: after you brown the chicken, add the vinegar and chicken broth/stock (I do about 1/4 c vinegar, 1/2 c stock) to deglaze. Turn the heat down to mid-low, add rosemary, salt and pepper, then cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. After the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and tent with foil. Increase the heat back up to mid-high and let the sauce bubble until it's syrupy, 3-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, finish with 2-3 tbsp butter to make a sauce.

Baked avocados, anyone? I've been hooked on 'em lately.

http://www.melecotte.com/2012/05/baked_avocado_salsa/

There are lots of variations on this recipe out there (many of which incorporate seafood), but with seafood often being out of my budget and in less than peak form here in the Midwest, I'm a fan of the simpler tomato-based filling with spices and a bit of cheese/breadcrumbs on top. Mine never look quite as pretty as the one in the picture, but they sure taste good.

Yes, please! We has this for breakfast this weekend along with veggie scrambled eggs, thick-cut bacon and a little homemade wheat bread. So yummy!

Baked avocados? GET OUT. And don't say, "No! I cannot!" like in Beverly Hills Cop. I cannot *wait* to try this!

ETA, I cannot get embedding to work for love or money. So here you go, for some Serge.

Egg Toast Cups

I make these all the time. My kid even takes them to school for lunch.

Flatten a slice of bread (you can use a rolling pin, but I just mash it with my palm, I'm lazy like that), cut off crusts to make it round, butter it and cut the circle in half. Place the two halves in a muffin tin. Crack an egg into it. Stick a piece of sausage, bacon, or ham (I even tried a chunk of hot dog and it was good) in the middle. Add some steamed spinach (which you flavored with sesame oil and garlic beforehand.) Chopped green onion works well too. Add salt or pepper or onion powder to taste.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or whenever the egg looks set.

It's like breakfast love in the form of a portable muffin.

Baked avocados? GET OUT. And don't say, "No! I cannot!" like in Beverly Hills Cop. I cannot *wait* to try this!

ETA, I cannot get embedding to work for love or money. So here you go, for some Serge.

I'm willing to give them a go. :D I regularly use avocado on my omelets or scrambled eggs. Yum, and thanks for the recipe.

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/02/ ... -with.html

Sweet potato & white bean burgers! The recipe mentions cajun seasoning and/or lemon pepper but I usually put in garam masala. Or whatever my heart feels that day. Obviously the pics on the recipe are all nice and whatever. I too have taken pictures but they are somewhat less attractive...

mine:

2jvbkw.jpg

the website's:

sweet-potato-bean-burger13.jpg

BAD AT FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY

Thought I'd add this here.

Onion Pie

3 or 4 large sweet onions

1/2 cup butter

3 eggs, beaten

1 cup sour cream

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 unbaked 9†pie shell

Parmesan cheese

Sauté onions in butter until soft and somewhat browned, but not carmelized. Combine eggs and sour cream and add to onions. Add seasonings, pour into pie shell. Sprinkle the top with cheese.

Bake 20 min. at 450º, then 20 min. at 325º

Sometimes it does take a few extra minutes to really set. I usually let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before slicing it. I also add a few shakes of red pepper flakes to give it a bit of a "kick".

I have a new favorite recipe that I discovered on Pinterest!

Pineapple Cake

1 yellow cake mix

1- 20oz can of crushed pineapple

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together cake mix and pineapple, spread mix into a well greased cake pan, Cook for 30 minutes and you will have a yummy cake!

I also think a cream cheese frosting on this would be absolutely delicious!

Another favorite recipe of mine is easy peanut butter fudge.

You will need....

1 jar peanut butter

1 container of vanilla frosting

spatula

casserole dish

Microwave the peanut butter (in the jar) for 30 seconds at a time till melted. Then do the same with the frosting-microwaving 30 seconds at a time till its soupy. Mix the 2 in a mixing bowl and then spread into a casserole dish. Let chill a couple hours in the fridge and it is delicious I tell you!

• 2 weeks later...

Ds and I were a little scared to eat these Korean potatoes with lunch today because it seems to be an odd sauce to use with potatoes. But they tasted so yummy that I thought I'd share here.

Kamjanamul (Korean Potatoes)

2 large potatoes, french fry cut (I used leftover plain roasted small reds, quartered)

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped

2 teaspoons sesame seeds

2 large scallions, finely chopped

1 teaspoon sesame oil

Put potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl. When potatoes are cooked, drain and add to seasoning mix. Mix well and serve while hot.

• 3 weeks later...

Per a request from the What's For Dinner thread:

Saffron Rice with Grilled Vegetables (adapted from Andrea Chesman, The New Vegetarian Grill

1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice

3 cups water

1 tsp salt

1/8 tsp crushed saffron threads

1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, and diced (I roasted and seeded my own in advance, but you could use jarred roasted red peppers)

1 cup green beans, ends trimmed, and cut into 2 inch lengths

1 carrot, sliced

1 zucchini, sliced

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill with a lightly oiled vegetable grill or wok in place.

2. Rinse the rice in at least 2 changes of water until the water runs clear. In a large saucepan, combine the rice, water, salt, and saffron. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat & boil gently until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Crumple a paper towel & place over the rice. Set aside & keep warm.

3. Toss the green beans, carrot, and zucchini with the olive oil & garlic. (some of the the garlic bits will probably fall through onto the grill, but don't worry about that) Grill, tossing frequently, until tender & grill-marked, 5 to 8 minutes.

4. Add the roasted pepper pieces and grilled vegetables to the rice & toss to mix well. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

5. Place the rice in an ovenproof casserole dish or cast-iron skillet (I used the cast-iron skillet) and set on the grill. Grill, with the lid down if possible, until heated through and slightly dry, 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.

(The author notes that the last step is optional. To me, heating everything on the grill really brought the dish together and I wouldn't omit it unless I was really strapped for time.

• 4 weeks later...
Vegetable Fried Rice

I love Chinese food, but it is something I just have not had much luck making at home. Even the simple fried rice has eluded me, until now. I recently came across a recipe for a homestyle fried rice (which I adapted to what I had on hand) that turned out just the way I had imagined it would and how I dreamed it would. I like to pair this with the honey glazed pork I posted earlier. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I made your recipe and it was good. Thank you for sharing it. I also had trouble with a good fried rice, but this one did not disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Jenny's Clafouti

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9" x 13" baking dish and strew it with fruit. I most often use a pound of fresh or defrosted cherries. But pitted and sliced apricots are amazing, and mixed berries are quite nice. The only fruits that I've used that I would not try again are rhubarb, which turned to mush, and figs, which I just don't like.

Mix well (possibly in a blender)

1 c. milk

4 eggs

1/2 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

2-3 Tbsp. butter

3/4 c. flour

Pour batter over fruit. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and quite puffy, rotating once during baking.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed 2 new successful recipes:

Persian Roast Chicken

1 small tin tomato paste

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tbsp lime juice

4 cloves garlic

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp turmeric

6 chicken thighs

Mix all other ingredients together into a marinade, then smear all over the chicken. Roast at 375 degrees for 30 min, reduce to 350 and continue to roast until cooked through.

Naked Kubeh (aka Iraqi Meatball stew)

[This is adapted from a recipe for Kubbeh stew/soup that I got from my FIL. The original recipe involved about 20 steps and a few hours of work. I don't have the time or patience for that. This recipe takes the flavors of the original, reduced the work to about 15 min., and eliminates some carbs along the way. Kubbeh is semolina stuffed with ground chicken - I call this naked kubbeh because it is just the meatballs without the semolina.]

1 lb ground chicken

1 Tbsp onion powder

1/8 tsp cardamon

Combine ingredients, shape into balls 1" in diameter. Add 1 Tbsp oil to saute pan, heat it, add the meatballs when hot. Brown on one side, then turn over. At that point, proceed to second part.

1 or 2 chopped zucchini

1 onion

Push the meatballs to the side of the pan, add the zucchini and onion, saute for 5 min. until it starts to brown.

1 can diced tomatoes

1 package French green beans

Empty entire can into the saute pan. Cut green beans in half, add them. Add 1 clove chopped garlic, some more cardamon, dash of cinnamon, some garam masala and a pinch of cayenne. Cook for 10 min, with the lid on.

I just made a gluten-free, lactosis-free Betty Crocker-ads-from-the 50ies inspired american style crust cake with (non-lactosis) cream cheese/curd cheese dough

Maybe some fellow allergic FJers are interested? :mrgreen:

Recipe:

500 grams of gluten free flour

12 spoons of sunflower oil

13 spoons of non-lactosis milk or milk substitute of your choice (I use almond and soy milk, mixed)

Maple syrup, some

180 grams of Bourbon vanilla sugar (...or just sugar, you could use of course less)

250 grams of nl-cream/curd cheese

1 package of baking soda (I use Weinstein)

2 eggs

some salt

Stir all together and MIX!MIX! until it´s a smooth mass, let it rest covered in the bowl under a kitchen cloth for 30 minutes.

Pour mass in cake tin (I used baking paper underneath so it won´t stick and a little herb hatchet for spreading the dough into the tin, it´s VERY STICKY, be warned!) and bake for 15-20 minutes at 175 degrees celsius.

Let it cool and then fill it, I used first a layer of fresh and sheet-drained strawberries and then vanilla pudding (nl) and garnished it.

Kids loved it! Adults too! :mrgreen:

4639e2-1369757754.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I want someone to make this - it's Sugar Cookie Pie. I added it on Pinterest and want to try it sooo bad. It looks like a pink and golden and crunchy and creamy and sugary dream.

Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Pie

Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel

Recipe type: Pie

Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 50 mins

Serves: 8-10

Have you ever been stuck in the dilemma of choosing cookies over pie? Squash that dilemma with this Lofthouse Sugar Cookie PIE. ‘Tis awesome.

Ingredients

1 refrigerated pie crust, room temperature

1 stick butter, melted

½ cup sugar

1 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 eggs

1 pkg (10 or 12 count) frosted Lofthouse sugar cookies, cut into rough chunks

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a pie dish with cooking spray. Lay the pie crust into the dish, pressing gently. Top with the chopped frosted cookies in an even layer.

In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, flour, vanilla and eggs with a whisk until smooth and blended. Pour the chess mixture over the cookies in the pie shell. Gently smoosh around the cookies and the chess mix so most of the cookies are coated with the mix. Crimp the edges of the pie shell, if desired.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top + edges are golden and bubbly and the center appears set. Cool completely before cutting into slices. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!

I want to make that pie over the weekend, maybe Father's Day. Good goal, right? ;)

Ohhhhh, please do!! Lemme know how it is!!! I want it!

I want someone to make this - it's Sugar Cookie Pie. I added it on Pinterest and want to try it sooo bad. It looks like a pink and golden and crunchy and creamy and sugary dream.

Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Pie

Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel

Recipe type: Pie

Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 50 mins

Serves: 8-10

Have you ever been stuck in the dilemma of choosing cookies over pie? Squash that dilemma with this Lofthouse Sugar Cookie PIE. ‘Tis awesome.

Ingredients

1 refrigerated pie crust, room temperature

1 stick butter, melted

½ cup sugar

1 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 eggs

1 pkg (10 or 12 count) frosted Lofthouse sugar cookies, cut into rough chunks

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a pie dish with cooking spray. Lay the pie crust into the dish, pressing gently. Top with the chopped frosted cookies in an even layer.

In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, flour, vanilla and eggs with a whisk until smooth and blended. Pour the chess mixture over the cookies in the pie shell. Gently smoosh around the cookies and the chess mix so most of the cookies are coated with the mix. Crimp the edges of the pie shell, if desired.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top + edges are golden and bubbly and the center appears set. Cool completely before cutting into slices. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!

that sounds deliciously disgusting :) cookies, frosting, butter, sugar all in a flaky piecrust!? good thing i can't eat gluten, i may have been tempted to make this. i googled for pics and it doesn't look like i was expecting it to.

• 2 months later...

I found a similar recipe for "Twinkie" pie. Same as the above more or less, but Twinkies instead of cookies. The fiance is a big fan of Twinkies, I'll be making it in the near future.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.