IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

I always keep the skin on for the eggplant casserole dishes moussaka and eggplant parm. For those I bake the slices and layer.

I have to say I LOVE frying them in breadcrumbs and using them as sandwhich "meat" in the summer. Skins on there as well.

Squash lasagna

1 box lasagna pasta

1pt low fat ricotta

3 cloves garlic

sage

nutmeg

2.5 quarts of white sauce made with 4 oz low fat mozzarella cheese melted in and a couple of scrapes of nutmeg, salt to taste. (I made my white sauce with 1/2 and 1/2 because that's what I had on hand. You can reduce fat by using skim or powdered milk.)

4 large acorn squash roasted and cooled.

Scoop the squash and mix with minced garlic, sage and ricotta. I used a food processor and had a handful of leftover sweet potato fries I thew into the mix. (I think garnet yams could be substituted for the acorn squash.)

Pour some white sauce on the bottom of the pan. Spread the squash and ricotta mixture on uncooked lasagna. When a layer is complete cover with some white sauce.

Finish with a layer of cream sauce and a dusting of grated cheese.

Preheat oven to 400 and reduce to 350 when you put the lasagna in.

I had some truffles so I microplaned truffle on each layer.

This was a fantastic white lasagna with lovely color between the layers. It held up well and did not have a sloppy profile. I always use regular lasagna and never cook the pasta ensuring a firmer profile. I hate a sloppy lasagna.

I'll probably make this for Thanksgiving and add some crushed hazelnuts on the top.

I did this tonight with dinner and let me say.. YUM! I am not a huge lasagna fan in any way... I don't know why, but I just don't care for it typically. Anyway, I had some squash and was looking for other things to do with it other than stuffed peppers (my go to with squash) and it turned out wonderfully! Thank you for the recipe!

I did this tonight with dinner and let me say.. YUM! I am not a huge lasagna fan in any way... I don't know why, but I just don't care for it typically. Anyway, I had some squash and was looking for other things to do with it other than stuffed peppers (my go to with squash) and it turned out wonderfully! Thank you for the recipe!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I have always preferred a white lasagna to the red.

The squash ricotta mixture has got to be good for a lot of things. I baked some solo in a small gratin and it was super. Now I'm thinking about adding a chipotle to the mixture and stuffing peppers.

I would suggest you could fold in some beaten egg whites to give it a lighter consistency and make it like a faux souffle.

Took a personal day today, made these red velvet cookies with cheesecake filling as a Friday treat for my co-workers. Had a couple (purely for testing purposes), and yum:

http://chefhanksnotes.blogspot.com/2012 ... ookie.html

In other news, I bought a breadmaker on a whim today--it was cheap and I thought it would come in handy for the holiday season. Any great bread (or dough or jam) recipes out there?

I need to try that squash lasagna. I just need to come up with a vegan white sauce that I like, probably cashew based.

I have no idea how to accomplish a vegan version of the lasagna simply because the mixing of the ricotta with the squash give's it character, profile and taste. I have made vegan white lasagna using a modified golden gravy but one cannot call it a lasagna.

I have no idea how to accomplish a vegan version of the lasagna simply because the mixing of the ricotta with the squash give's it character, profile and taste. I have made vegan white lasagna using a modified golden gravy but one cannot call it a lasagna.

Vegan ricotta is a snap. An easy way is to mash up firm tofu with some herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and nutritional yeast. I use this in ziti, shells, lasagna, pizza all the time. You really can't tell the difference since you get the texture and creaminess of dairy ricotta. That doesn't have a super strong flavor anyway. At any rate, it's very delicious and serves the same purpose as ricotta.

A richer ricotta can be made by adding in some blended cashews for a creamier texture, but I'm usually much too lazy for this.

I'll have to think about the sauce. Maybe a tiny bit of miso for the umami, and a bechemel type sauce with a cashew cream base. I don't really love the vegan cheeses like Daiya, but that could work too. I've probably got something in my gazillion underused cookbooks.

I took 8 of them off the cookbook shelf to look for Tgiving recipes and then had no idea how to fit them all back on. It's a mystery!

Sparkles, the Asiago baguette is incredibly delicious as the bread for jambon beurre. I'm sure it's sacrilege for the real French folks out there, but my husband and I loooove it.

And your recipe didn't sound difficult to me, per se, I'm just the sort to skip steps because I'm a lazy bum (so lazy that even a preferment is enough to make me look for "an easier" way--how redonkulous is that?). Since you know hydration percentages and the like, I'm assuming that you're a much more serious bread baker than I am. ;) I don't really measure as well as I should (if at all) and have a tendency to just keep adding more flour or water until the dough feels "right" to me. Needless to say, I'm not the most consistent! I'm sure patisseries all over the country let out a collective sigh of relief when I decided that culinary school was not for me.

Don't worry jambon beurre is only good with french ham. I swear North American ham has nothing on French ham. Nothing :naughty:

I need some help with eggplant. I bought two Asian eggplants at the Dehli Deli because they were perfect. I had intentions of making baba ganoush but I'm out of tahini. I may just halve them length wise and bake them with a sweet soy and miso glaze but I was hoping I could get some different ideas from the hive.

my favorite recipe is fried with sesame oil and then broiled with a miso glaze on top... so not much help :(

Oh and in lasagna.

my favorite recipe is fried with sesame oil and then broiled with a miso glaze on top... so not much help :(

Oh and in lasagna.

Eggplant lasagna is delish! We grew loads this year and I wanted the kids to eat more of it, they ask for this instead of the noodle one now.

Is there such thing as an easy fudge recipe? Preferably one without marshmallow fluff because I don't know what that is and I'm scared to ask.

Is there such thing as an easy fudge recipe? Preferably one without marshmallow fluff because I don't know what that is and I'm scared to ask.

I don't know about everyone else, but the marshmallow fluff is sort of what gives the fudge it's amazing texture. I just use the recipe on the back of the marshmallow fluff jar (easy peasy) and everyone always asks for the recipe when they eat it.

I don't know about everyone else, but the marshmallow fluff is sort of what gives the fudge it's amazing texture. I just use the recipe on the back of the marshmallow fluff jar (easy peasy) and everyone always asks for the recipe when they eat it.

But we don't have marshmallow fluff here in Australia

This reminds me that I forgot to make my pecan fudge. Ugh. Thought I was done for the day: made gingerbread apple pie and a pumpkin pie.

I'll post my recipe if it turns out good.

Boo, that stinks, sorry I can't help more. :(

Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole

1/2 cup flour

1/2 dry oatmeal

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/3 cup butter

2tbsp sugar

1/2 to 3/4 cup dry cranberries

17oz can sweet potatoes drained with about 1/2 of the liquid reserved

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until the mix is crumbly. Put the sweet potatoes into a casserole dish and cover with the dry mix, cranberries, and pour liquid on top. Bake at 350F for 30 min (or until all the way heated.)

Not sure if this is a dessert or a side. Or both. :lol: All I know is it's amazing!

Would you like to get some for Christmas? It's lightweight, and must be cheap to send!

Oh please!!! That would be awesome, I've always looked at fudge recipes from America longingly

Interesting, I've never heard of marshmallow fluff unless it is the stuff you put on ice-cream. I've only ever used condensed milk to make fudge.

Oh please!!! That would be awesome, I've always looked at fudge recipes from America longingly

Sure thing, just pm me your address, and so long as the shipping isn't too exorbitant I'll send some within the month. It'll probably get there after Xmas, though, especially since I have gifts to buy here for my family.

Edit: funny thing, this is the second time I've had this conversation in the past two weeks. The other one declined, though.

There are other fudge recipes out there, of course, it's just that this one is so simple. Children can and do make it at sleepovers.

Sure thing, just pm me your address, and so long as the shipping isn't too exorbitant I'll send some within the month. It'll probably get there after Xmas, though, especially since I have gifts to buy here for my family.

Edit: funny thing, this is the second time I've had this conversation in the past two weeks. The other one declined, though.

There are other fudge recipes out there, of course, it's just that this one is so simple. Children can and do make it at sleepovers.

Thank you so much, PMing now. I'm happy to send cash to cover cost and postage if you can receive paypal.

Looks like fluff to me. If it's easier to order from them, by all means, you should do that instead of waiting on me :D . Get extra, and make fluffernutters.

Yeah, no marshmallow fluff here either, will have to hunt out a condensed milk version.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.