IGNORED

Keeping SAHDs -- defeating purpose of Quiverfull?

flyaway

All these are good points. I think, too, another issue is that many of these very large families have adult "children" and small children. Even if they are "willing" to let an older "child" marry, they may be so busy homeschooling and taking care of young children they may not have time to find a mate for the oldest.

May it be ever so. Good way to keep them from taking dominion by the numbers.

This is where I'm torn. I by no means want these 200-year plans of dominion to succeed in any way, shape, or form - but I still hurt for the daughters who are raised to aspire to an ideal but not given the opportunity to fulfill all their beliefs/training. There's a little wishful thinking on my part that one of them will end up more like Rebekah Keller, finding someone whowill leave Quiverfull after marriage.

I think that is difficult for them to find proper husbands, or what they consider proper, i dont think that they do it on purpose because their desire to have a ton of grandchildren is bigger than their desire to keep their daughters.. they probably will be happy just keeping one single daugther to take care of them in their old age.

This is where I'm torn. I by no means want these 200-year plans of dominion to succeed in any way, shape, or form - but I still hurt for the daughters who are raised to aspire to an ideal but not given the opportunity to fulfill all their beliefs/training. There's a little wishful thinking on my part that one of them will end up more like Rebekah Keller, finding someone whowill leave Quiverfull after marriage.

I so agree. The 200-year outbreed the heathens plan is scary enough, but the victims of the plan are not happy law-abiding athiests like myself who will be outnumbered; the people who are suffering are the infantilized sheltered children who grew up in the movement rather than choosing it. I'm thankful that the plan isn't sustainable as it means a lot less political activism for me, but I'm sad for all the daughters and sons who are living at home because the plan hasn't provided them with a means to even provide a basic standard of living outside the childhood home (let alone the issues surrounding the emotional demands upon second generation fundies).

Just thinking about this sahd girls one idea pop in my mind: now i understand the purpose of nuns, the catholic fundies who have large families dont have this problem, their unmarried sons and daughters can become nuns or priests and serve god having their own purpose in life away of their parents, and feeling that they are doing what god want them to do.

I have wondered the same thing. Hopefully they don't figure that out, since they think they're "breeding a voting bloc". I read a while back about how the average age of conservative voters is much higher than democrats, or even the more moderate republicans, so I'm pretty excited for the conservatives to start dying off. If they want their "culture war", they better get to work on filling those quivers. On second thought, I'd hate to see them start arranging marriages as soon as a girl starts her period. I also wonder if fundy Christians ever notice that they have an awful lot in common wih the Taliban. Ebil Muslims! :twisted: Oh noez!

Maybe this is why the Arndts aren't married....maybe the court reporting business can't support them all, so no one makes enough money to move out.

I am not convinced that that is the sticking point for them. Those boys are so sheltered I don't think they could handle going to work and not being surrounded by their brothers. I don't know what any of them would do if they actually got to talk to a girl who wasn't wizzy. Plus the Ardnts are primo examples of infantalizing your grown or nearly grown children.

Yes, let's definitely not tell the fundies that SAHDs defeats the purpose of breeding like rabbits!

Although, if they have enough children then eventually the younger daughters (who aren't old maid spinsters yet) will probably be treated more leniently, as younger children often are, and will probably end up getting married. It's the older daughters who will probably be caring for their younger siblings and then parents for the rest of their lives :(

Archived