IGNORED

Found a Blog from a member of the "Church of Duggar"

silverspoons

Someone should attempt to get an invite to 'their church" and report back.

So, do you have me on ignore, or are you going to explain what exactly it is you find that you like about the Duggars?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said before, some people don't scratch the surface or notice when things are off. I believe that some people are more instinctive than others. Years ago when the Duggars had their pre-series documentaries, I thought they were nice people. I remember watching the 14 kids and documentary when I was 19. Back then, I was in dark about certain things regarding fundies and I really didn't notice how screwed up their buddy system is. I was 23 when the regular show started and during the first season, I noticed that certain things were off with the Duggars. I started doing more research on the QF movement and I then finally realized how messed up their lifestyle is. My mom and aunt told me that they have watched the Duggar show a few times and they didn't like the Duggars. I remember my mom saying something about Michelle giving her bad vibes.

I guess because of my background I disliked them from the very beginning. It does make it easier to explain my fundie upbringing though, I can say "You know the Duggars? My childhood was like that except with less kids and a better education." :lol:

Oddly, out of all the awfulness in that church, I keep looking at the pictures and wondering if they couldn't maybe do something to make that space less...ugly. Or at least, less industrial. I know it's rented but so is my apartment and I've tried to make it look nice. I'm not talking wholesale remodeling, but maybe a few drapings or hangings for atmosphere would really improve it, and if the space is used for other things during the week could easily be moved. And they need not be expensive especially if they have sewers, which I'm sure they do, as even my heathen Episcopal church has a sewing group.

The ugly outside meets the ugly inside in that church. You'd think they'd want to do something about one even if the other is the point (gag).

So, do you have me on ignore, or are you going to explain what exactly it is you find that you like about the Duggars?

I'm not ignoring you. there is so many posting replies can fall into the cracks. I just was a report on the under belly of the Duggars behind the camera. We know they have a evil side when they joked with Amy about her fear of clowns. Poor girl. And they had the nerve to question whether they were mean...yes, you were mean.

I'm not ignoring you. there is so many posting replies can fall into the cracks. I just was a report on the under belly of the Duggars behind the camera. We know they have a evil side when they joked with Amy about her fear of clowns. Poor girl. And they had the nerve to question whether they were mean...yes, you were mean.

The question was, you said that you liked some of their views. What is it that you like?

I wonder if Famy is "allowed" to attend this invite only church with her worldly views and all..

I would imagine that not only is she allowed, but even encouraged to attend this church. After all, every congregation has got to have their token sinner. Amy fits the bill perfectly........it's love the sinner, hate the sin in action. :roll:

Oddly, out of all the awfulness in that church, I keep looking at the pictures and wondering if they couldn't maybe do something to make that space less...ugly. Or at least, less industrial. I know it's rented but so is my apartment and I've tried to make it look nice. I'm not talking wholesale remodeling, but maybe a few drapings or hangings for atmosphere would really improve it, and if the space is used for other things during the week could easily be moved. And they need not be expensive especially if they have sewers, which I'm sure they do, as even my heathen Episcopal church has a sewing group.

The ugly outside meets the ugly inside in that church. You'd think they'd want to do something about one even if the other is the point (gag).

I doubt they'd want to pretty it up. They're proudly very proud that their worship space has such a utilitarian vibe. I bet it makes them feel all authentic and Acts-like to not focus on superficial things like comfy chairs. It's very fundie-hipster to be all ragtag and such.

Yeah, they do seem to be proud that their church looks bad. Like "Look at us, we are so cool for Jesus that we don't even have matching chairs and use paper plates(?) to mark the bathrooms."

Yeah, they do seem to be proud that their church looks bad. Like "Look at us, we are so cool for Jesus that we don't even have matching chairs and use paper plates(?) to mark the bathrooms."

that's probably how they justify using paper plates rather than normal plates despite their industrial dishwashers: "oh, but you can use them for other things, too! It's frugal and pleases the Lord!"

At least somebody in that church should be capable of making some sort of real bathroom signs so they don't have to use paper plates.

At least somebody in that church should be capable of making some sort of real bathroom signs so they don't have to use paper plates.

They sell bathroom signs and other room signs at most office stores. They're not very expensive and the church could always take up a collection to help spiffy up the place if funds are low. If you spread the cost across the congregation, everyone could pitch in without pinching their wallets.

Funny, because to me that level of thrown-together industrial seems to me to show no respect for what you are doing, in that you don't even want the space to be halfway attractive or properly functional. (Paper plates for bathroom signs? Ridiculous!)

QFT

As someone already mention, they sell bathroom stickers that are quite cheap. I think that the church space looks like that just to sell an image of being more godly than worldLy.

On the post from yesterday there are two comments from people who may have been there

[ @ ] joshduggar Glad to be in church today! Great message on the life of George Washington #church #history #America #Sunday 1d

[ @ ] imstilljessica @joshduggar please keep my dad who is battling cancer in your prayers. It's really bad. 1d

[ @ ] paniemilia @imstilljessica I'll pray for your dad 1d

[ @ ] xolauren_marie @imstilljessica I'll be praying too! 1d

[ @ ] mollykat_00 I'll be praying too @imstilljessica 1d

[ @ ] tammieloohoo Prayers for all @imstilljessica 23h

[ @ ] loupdedrew @imstilljessica prayers for your dad, I know how you feel, I just lost my mom last fall to pancreatic cancer. #MissHer 21h

[ @ ] shirleyjkoz @imstilljessica I have prayed for your dad and all his loved ones and will again. Jesus' peace for you now. 12h

[ @ ] jnbholtfamily @emcphfam this is the message your mom was telling me about! ;) 11h

[ @ ] seanandginagilbert @joshduggar Really?? There is no substitute for Jesus 2h

[ @ ] taymorgan13 That was a great sermon right @joshduggar and btw that is the back of mine and my sister's head (we are the Young's daughters) 29min

I havent been able to pull up their instagram accounts... maybe someone else will have better luck.

QFT

As someone already mention, they sell bathroom stickers that are quite cheap. I think that the church space looks like that just to sell an image of being more godly than worldLy.

It also means, IME, to damn much bureaucratic crap.

I mean, if I go to church next week and I realize there's no 'bathroom' sign, chances are, next week, someone will have purchased a new one and replaced it.

I've been places where no one felt empowered or 'part of' the church enough to do the little things--I'm guessing this church is that way.

Where the 'big people' are above that sort of stuff and the 'little people' don't have enough authority to drop $5 of their own money to put up a sign.

Putting up signs also is a sign of permanency. Are they "renting" or "borrowing" the space only until Boob has something better to do with it? Even if they dont want the tax status, pooling money together that is an actual church space with adequate facilities (like a kitchen, storage rooms for a food/clothing drive etc) would make sense. How long does whatever food they have for "fellowshipping" sit out unrefrigerated?

It you only want a space to preach propoganda then yes, whatever free space is available is totes kool... but if you want to have a "church" and a "community" that follows the "word" then act like one...

This sounds less like a church than an IBLP outreach center. I wouldn't even be surprised to find that Gothard supports or subsidizes it in exchange for the opportunity to gain converts. Even if JB owns the property and allows the church to meet there for free, they still have to pay utility bills and whatnot. With no donations and no tax exemptions, how else would they come up with the money? That's probably why you have to be invited to go...they want to pre-screen to see if you'd qualify for ATI. If they could get one family per month, the ATI fees would probably cover the cost of running the church. Plus Gothard has the opportunity to make extra if you can get the families into Wisdom Booklets and attending the conferences.

ProverbsMama could give Kelly (of the heart-shaped tornado) a run for her money:

The above picture was a storm cloud shortly after the F5 tornado in Joplin, Missouri. We were blessed with some of the most beautiful clouds after that horrific tragedy. The whole land glowed green and beautiful. We even had a triple rainbow! The Lord knew we needed the blessed assurance that He was still with us even in the midst of a storm.

We are BLESSED by clouds and rainbows after a massive tornado tore up an entire town! Sure, god could give us pretty weather phenomena without killing dozens of people, but where's the GRACE in that :roll:

Funny, because to me that level of thrown-together industrial seems to me to show no respect for what you are doing, in that you don't even want the space to be halfway attractive or properly functional. (Paper plates for bathroom signs? Ridiculous!)

Martyrdom, anyone? We worship in a miserable old shed. We sit on uncomfortable chairs. We don't even have signs for our bathrooms. Aren't we speshul?

Ugh.

If the Duggars were serious about the Church of the Holy Invitation they could build a big shed on their land. They've got plenty of space and they have all that experience from building the TTH. Hey, if they build it big enough and fancy enough, they might be able to start hosting ATI home school conferences as well.

• 6 months later...

What the heck do they think church is, a country club?! You'd think a church would WANT anyone and everyone to come, since they're trying to convert the world and whatnot. I've even heard it argued that you can't send out invites to a wedding/it is acceptable to crash a wedding because "it's really a church service and you can't deny people entry from the house of the lord." It's just one more example of what special snowflakes the Duggars are.

The Duggars probably thought they were keeping their family safe by having a invite only church. Apparently it has not kept out unsavory characters like PM's husband.

Would I get thrown out if I showed up modestly dressed....and wearing flipflops?

I thought flip-flops were de regueur among the Duggar set. A definite fashion "do" if you want to blend in.

I'd suggest wearing your "I *heart* Gothard" sweatshirt if you want to be seated extraspecialclose to Michelle and Jim Bob.

So didn't ProverbsMom write something about how this church sucks and no one supported her on the email posted on the FJ FB page? Sounds sorta like her criticisms of other churches in the post that started this thread...

Archived