IGNORED

The Seven Sisters stand outside and freeze.

BlondeAgent007

It's the two youngest who don't wear them, so I always assumed that there was a particular age at which they were supposed to start wearing the head covering.

From the About page on their blog:

I found your blog awhile ago, and I was just wondering what y’all believe doctrinally. Why do y’all wear head coverings and long dresses?

Thanks for asking :) We wear the headcoverings because of what we’ve read in 1 Corinthians 11. Daddy and Mommy decided together several years ago that this is what they wanted for our family, and then as each of us girls get old enough, ask about it, and understand what it is all about, we have begun to wear them, too :) The long dresses are for modesty and because we love wearing them! They make you feel so feminine and pretty :D We didn’t always used to dress this way, though we have for most our lives since Daddy and Mommy started us young! :D Leah and I were probably around 5 and 3 years old when we did start doing “dresses onlyâ€

I have wasted several hours over the last few days on this blog. It is quite entertaining.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My antivirus blocked their website, just to warn everyone. I'm not sure if it's being hyperactive or if there's actually a problem (i believe it said a Trojan).

I'm running bitdefender and it didnt have a problem with the site. Maybe it was an ad that showed up on your browser that set it off?

They actually look "real" happy rather than "Stepford"happy, plus they use smilies :) so it colors how I look at their posts. It's hard not to kind of like them in the little bit that I've read.

From the About page on their blog:

I have wasted several hours over the last few days on this blog. It is quite entertaining.

Yeah I hear you. It's a wonderfully snark worthy blog. Oh God how I love it. But it's also sad too.

I agree they're nice but, especially with the head coverings, they look really ridiculous. I'll never understand why to some people modesty amounts to fancy dress. Nor, for the matter, why they couldn't take this photo inside.

I'm with you on this. It's the dress-ups that creep me out. Sure the dresses are nice but it's the whole mindset, the unreality. That 20-something SAHD are living this kind of faux-life prairie thing.

I don't understand why people find them particularly sad or ridiculous. They definitely are different, but they don't seem hateful, they seem genuinely happy, they have hobbies and friends they enjoy - and I believe they even make a bit of money off their crafts.

I understand that most of the fundies that are snarked on here seem to have some very hurtful /hateful behaviors and beliefs towards their children, or towards "outsiders", but the Seven Sister's seem to actually be enjoying life without hurting anyone else .. so what's the problem ? I don't see how thinking they are "ridiculous" based on the way they look/dress is any different that some arch conservative finding a photo of a trans kid, or someone with a bunch of tattoos or revealing clothing "sad" or "ridiculous". This is a snark board, so of course people will pick them apart - but "sad" ? Why ?

I admit I haven't read every word of their blog, so maybe I'm missing something, but mostly I see some girls and young women who actually enjoy their lives and have a good sense of humor.

I don't understand why people find them particularly sad or ridiculous. They definitely are different, but they don't seem hateful, they seem genuinely happy, they have hobbies and friends they enjoy - and I believe they even make a bit of money off their crafts.

I understand that most of the fundies that are snarked on here seem to have some very hurtful /hateful behaviors and beliefs towards their children, or towards "outsiders", but the Seven Sister's seem to actually be enjoying life without hurting anyone else .. so what's the problem ? I don't see how thinking they are "ridiculous" based on the way they look/dress is any different that some arch conservative finding a photo of a trans kid, or someone with a bunch of tattoos or revealing clothing "sad" or "ridiculous". This is a snark board, so of course people will pick them apart - but "sad" ? Why ?

I admit I haven't read every word of their blog, so maybe I'm missing something, but mostly I see some girls and young women who actually enjoy their lives and have a good sense of humor.

Really? I find a lot wrong with it. They are totally infantalized by the parents. None of this is their choice. They might be happy but for all I know so is a rat in a cage. It's like a social experiment conducted by the parents. Wow they get to sew and sell on Etsy. That's just about all they get to do connected to the real world. Oh wait, I think they may teach music. Not sure about that I may have it confused with some other family.

I'm not saying they are bad people at all, that's not what I'm driving at. Delve a little deeper. At one point one of the sisters says she'd like to travel but will just look forward to travelling in the afterlife instead. Don't forget some of these girls are probably mid/late 20s and say "Mommy and Daddy". One even commented she did not see why she would want a boyfriend/ husband as she already had the love of her little brother. There are many many examples littered through the blog.

Look I'm open minded to all styles of living. I think communes are great. Don't hate fundies at all. But I hate the parents who make all these choices for their kids for their own selfish agendas. I could go on. But yeah I stand by what I said, it IS very sad. People need a balance of love and freedom, don't they?

But I hate the parents who make all these choices for their kids for their own selfish agendas.

Don't all parents do that to an extent though? Families raise their kids according to their beliefs - whether they're Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, or whatever. Who gets to say which 'set of beliefs about life and so forth' is correct and which isn't? And by whose standards?

edited to fix buggered up quotes

I'm with you on this. It's the dress-ups that creep me out. Sure the dresses are nice but it's the whole mindset, the unreality. That 20-something SAHD are living this kind of faux-life prairie thing.

I haven't read much of their blog but I think they actually DO live on a farm there don't they?

I haven't read much of their blog but I think they actually DO live on a farm there don't they?

5 acres with a barn and lots of goats.

I'm kinda confused...how can you think they're nice AND ridiculous at the same time?

I'd totally wear them.. they don't look "fancy" to me, just pretty. [and comfortable!]

I find them cute the way I would find a costume cute. So they look silly to me as every day wear.

I find them cute the way I would find a costume cute. So they look silly to me as every day wear.

Ah... kinda the same way that I feel about skinny jeans , high heeled shoes, and those weird angled sweater things that are everywhere right now. :P

I'm not sure if you're answering me as if to say "no, they have _____" or "yes, they have_____"

?

Sorry.

Yes, they live on a five acre property. It has a large barn which they play in a lot and they have a lot of goats. The blog in spring is mostly photos of all the goats and their babies. There have been a few blogs with pictures of them walking on the lane ways around the area. It seems to be a very pretty area with mostly small hobby farms like theirs and a few larger farms.

Their blogs intro says:

We don’t have much of a farm, only three acres with a big wonderful barn {with a barn swing!}, 2 gardens, and lots of goats, several cats, a dog, chickens, and our goose, RePete. We also have a cornfield right behind us. We do not farm it, but the farmer who does is kind enough to let us use the 1/4 mile lane that goes back to two irrigation ponds for walks or sometimes bike rides.

In the Uk it would be called a small holding.

Sorry.

Yes, they live on a five acre property. It has a large barn which they play in a lot and they have a lot of goats. The blog in spring is mostly photos of all the goats and their babies. There have been a few blogs with pictures of them walking on the lane ways around the area. It seems to be a very pretty area with mostly small hobby farms like theirs and a few larger farms.

Okay I get it now.. I grew up urban, wasn't sure what qualified as "farm" so I didn't know if I called it wrong or not.

So a "hobby farm" is kinda like.. a personal little farm maybe? Your own goats for goats milk, some gardens, maybe a chicken or two? If I knew how to care for goats, I think I could enjoy living like that.

Don't all parents do that to an extent though? Families raise their kids according to their beliefs - whether they're Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, or whatever. Who gets to say which 'set of beliefs about life and so forth' is correct and which isn't? And by whose standards?

edited to fix buggered up quotes

Because it is possible to lay a foundation of beliefs or values in a family without isolating and indoctrinating! They have no freedom, no choices. To hobble your daughters to keep them within your gaze is wrong!

there's one of them that loves anatomy, medicine and the emergency services (i think) but all she can do about it is make a cake with a red cross on it, it's so fucking sad :(

Because it is possible to lay a foundation of beliefs or values in a family without isolating and indoctrinating! They have no freedom, no choices. To hobble your daughters to keep them within your gaze is wrong!

I'm not sure which of my questions that was directed toward...

What if part of your foundation IS to step back from the chaos and do your own thing? Who (and by what right) gets to say "hey, you can't do that" ...

I don't know, it bothers me. If I want my OWN beliefs respected, my OWN right to live as I wish and to raise my children as I believe is best, then don't I owe that to others? (and before someone throws it in there - I'm not talking about people who beat their kids)

I don't see a lack of freedom or choice in most of the families that are talked about here ... when the kids are grown and old enough to leave home, they CAN leave. They CAN choose a different lifestyle.. Yeah, their parents may be unhappy about their choices - but that happens in families of all sorts. My parents were atheists and they were unhappy with my choices - completely unrelated to religion. We spoke very little for years.

There are exceptions, yeah. The Maxwells bother me because that father looks like he might be apt to actually threaten his kids with more than just "we won't talk to you" ..

I don't know. It keeps coming back, for me, to the way that I feel about respecting X belief and choices if I want respect for my own Y belief and choices --- and the parenting decisions that I make along with that.

there's one of them that loves anatomy, medicine and the emergency services (i think) but all she can do about it is make a cake with a red cross on it, it's so fucking sad :(

...but that isn't all she can do. If she knows that a job as a paramedic exists (and it seems that she does), and she truly wants to do that, then she can tell her parents "Okay mom and dad, I love you guys and I hope you'll support me as I make my OWN decisions" and go off and do it. I'm not saying it's easy, but they aren't chaining her to the wall.

I think I saw a similar incident regarding the army.

...but that isn't all she can do. If she knows that a job as a paramedic exists (and it seems that she does), and she truly wants to do that, then she can tell her parents "Okay mom and dad, I love you guys and I hope you'll support me as I make my OWN decisions" and go off and do it. I'm not saying it's easy, but they aren't chaining her to the wall.

What! Of course.they can't leave! The ties that bind aren't physical. It's no different to the maxwells or any of the ATI/ Gothard crowd.

And no. They can't be paramedics. They have no proper education. Or life skills. Being a paramedic is a worldly profession. You not only need to know anatomy and the like, but also violence, society, illegal drugs, tolerance. Also you may have to be in an ambulance unchaperoned with...a man...gasp! Fetch my smelling salts.

Archived