IGNORED

Senate approves anti-violence against women act

doggie

Well lets hope this passes. The GOP's wimmins loving version seems to have mroe to to with protecting men then anything else.

WASHINGTON -- By a robust bipartisan majority, the Senate voted Tuesday to renew the Violence Against Women Act with new assurances that gays and lesbians, immigrants and Native American women will have equal access to the act's anti-domestic violence programs.

The 78-22 Senate vote to reauthorize the two-decade-old act that has shielded millions of women from abuse and helped reduce national rates of domestic violence turns the focus to the House, where Republican leaders are working to come up with their own version.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/inde ... lence.html

• 4 weeks later...

Another reason to love the Catholic church. So instead of helping if it helps everyone they should only help traditional marriages and screw everyone else. This is so pathetic and has proven it does not work. We don't live in Jesus's time and the church needs to get their shit together and figure that out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/0 ... 33675.html

(RNS) Five key Catholic bishops are opposing the newly authorized Violence Against Women Act for fear it will subvert traditional views of marriage and gender, and compromise the religious freedom of groups that aid victims of human trafficking.

The act, to be signed into law by President Obama on Thursday (March 7), is intended to protect women from domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking, and allows the federal government to spend money to treat victims and prosecute offenders.

• 2 months later...

//nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/03/18700047-as-two-prominent-gop-women-fade-a-question-of-how-to-woo-female-voters?lite

My favorite quote: "Republicans consistently make this mistake where they think that the problem is the messenger," said Jess McIntosh, a spokeswoman for the group EMILY's List, which works to elect Democratic women who support abortion rights. "They don't have a messenger problem, they have a substance problem."

You mean that they actually have to treat women as equal human beings as individuals with differing opinions and not just as puppets to make the GOP party less conservative? Le gasp! Just because a piece of shit is wrapped in a box with Christmas wrapping paper doesn't make it a good Christmas gift, assholes.

Erika Harold, Miss America 2003, is expected to announce her candidacy to run for US Congress. She has given stump speeches advocating for "1st amendment rights for religious organizations," lower taxes, limited government oversight, and abstinence-only education.

http://jezebel.com/miss-america-goes-to ... -511186027

She came to speak at an assembly at the public school where my dad taught. She talked about how she overcame horrific bullying when she was in high school (her pageant platform was focused on anti-bullying measures). My dad came home positively beaming, gushing about how she was a great role model for anybody of any gender.

This is the first time I've heard about her political ambitions and leanings, and it makes me sad that someone who was bullied so viciously when she was young is probably working to support right-wing organizations that think nothing of bullying kids who are LGBT or non-Christian.

Archived