IGNORED

Yeshua And Yeshu. Israel And New Testaments

debrand

Incidentally, Doug obviously knows nothing about Hebrew. It's a different alphabet. "Yeshua" and "Yeshuah" are the same word, transliterated into English letters differently. The word means "salvation", and it was a common name 2,000 years ago.

In Doug's defense -- ugh, I can't believe I'm saying that -- he's talking about an adding an ayin to ישו (Yeshu, "Jesus") to get ישוע (Yeshua, "Christ"), then adding a he to get ישועה (yeshuah, "salvation"). It's a big Messianic thing in Israel (link to Google results in Hebrew).

In Doug's defense -- ugh, I can't believe I'm saying that -- he's talking about an adding an ayin to ישו (Yeshu, "Jesus") to get ישוע (Yeshua, "Christ"), then adding a he to get ישועה (yeshuah, "salvation"). It's a big Messianic thing in Israel (link to Google results in Hebrew).

But is either a curse?

Absolutely not. Said with total confidence by a person with no knowledge of the languages involved.

I can't possibly improve upon this response. :lol:

I believe most Christian Arabs in Israel are Orthodox. My hair stylist is of Palastinian descent and her family is Greek Orthodox.

I personally have seen many Christians in Israel: in Nazarith, Behtlehem, Hebron, and the Old City of Jerusalem. In fact, I saw the Greek Patriarch. It is not difficult to find Christian books, including Bibles, and other Christian artifacts if you are in the "right" neighborhoods.

I think Rami Kashou from season 4 of Project Runway is a Palestinian Christian.

When I studied abroad in Israel, my Christian friends went to an Arab Christian-owned store to buy Easter egg dying kits. I dyed the eggs with them, which greatly amused my parents.

I wonder if the Yeshu-Yeshua-Yeshuah thing is a play on the Na-Nach-Nachman slogan used by 'ba'al teshuvah' (=returning to Orthodox observance) Bretzlaver Chassidim.

Archived