IGNORED

Teacher Wants To Ban LGBT From The Prom

muffynbear

This is sick. A local Catholic high school last year announced gay couples would not be allowed to buy couples' tickets together. If they wanted to go, they'd have to pay separate, which would be more expensive than buying a couples ticket. What are they afraid of, that gay couples will just spontaneously start fucking each other on the dance floor? If you're so scandalized about gay students being at prom, then stay home.

And yeah, in my high school, each class had a sponsor who helped the class officers plan prom. If she's doing this and is talking about discriminating at a prom for a public school, she needs to be dropped from that position and fired. This isn't standing up for your beliefs - this is putting others at a disadvantage.

Let's make sure the LGBT stay out...oh, and while we're at it, let's make sure the blacks, fat people, ugly people, Asians, Muslims and welll...anyone who isn't Christian because EWWWWWWWWWW GAY PEOPLE ARE HORRIBLE...

I will never, never, EVER understand this outright horror that Christians and Fundies have with banning gays. God says love one another; how is keeping some gay kids out of their prom pissing him off?

I am ashamed that she belongs to the same profession that I do. So what is her purpose in life---making LGBTQ kids even more scared, unhappy and feeling worthless?

You said it for me. She is (IMHO) a disgrace to our profession.

Maybe the Westboro Baptist Church can start a school and hire this bitch.

Like you can properly decorate a gym for prom without the gays! Snerk.

This teacher should be called to task for promoting homophobia. I agree with teecher17, she is an absolute disgrace to the profession. I cannot imagine telling any student they cannot go to prom.

Certainly being an asshat is a choice. And I personally don't believe asshats serve a purpose in life so can they exclude her from the prom too?

I honestly have an admiration and pity for gay Christians. If I was a lesbian, I don't see how I could be part of a religion that seemed to hate me so much and wanted to deny me any rights. I would become an Atheist, Pagan, Buddhist, or something else.

I couldn't stand so much hate

Christianity as a whole doesn't hate gays (Jesus said absolutely nothing about it), and there are many churches that are standing up to fight for equality. The hate crew is a lot more vocal. I try to remind myself of this when I see news articles like this, because the hatemongers are just so disgusting and prevalent.

Phegley in particular is afraid of being boarded by butt-pirates:

So, Jesus left them vulnerable to jolly rogering? What a dick move.

Well Diana, if you use computers a deceased gay mathematician named Alan Turing is part of the reason modern computers exist. There are some gay people who will never choose God because they don't believe in God for various reasons.

I'm glad you brought up Alan Turing, who was rewarded for his contribution to society by the ultimate in bigotry and bullying. The way Turing was treated is just heartbreaking and disgusting. He was actually convicted in a court of law of being homosexual, publicly shamed, and subjected to chemical castration. He killed himself shortly thereafter.

I'm sure that the holy crusaders at this high school would be pleased as punch about that outcome.

I am ashamed that she belongs to the same profession that I do. So what is her purpose in life---making LGBTQ kids even more scared, unhappy and feeling worthless?

Agreed. I try to make all of my students feel loved no matter "what" they may be or who they are. I did have a student come out to me in a writing assignment... I cried. That was the best gift to me... that ultimate gift of trust.

Diana Medley is a numbskull. It's really not her business, first off, what other people do. Particularly students. She has an obligation to help, not hinder. This is severely upsetting. On so many levels. It's not up to her whether or not we have a place in the world. That's for us to decide, not crazy fundie morons. If you ask me, her comments have no value, especially in current society.

I've had the misfortune of meeting a lot of teachers like her, though. My old PE teacher said in health class that it was disgusting and unnatural. I heard about a girl speaking up, and I really admired her for that. She even faced ridicule from other equally idiotic students by defending her sexuality, something natural and unchangeable. No one came to her defense about it either.

This might have been close to ten years ago but I'm sure it's still going on. Ugh.

This teacher should be called to task for promoting homophobia. I agree with teecher17, she is an absolute disgrace to the profession. I cannot imagine telling any student they cannot go to prom.

This. As for telling a student they can't go to prom, it should be for things like a GPA below a C average and getting in trouble shortly before the event during one's senior year. As for LGBT being a "choice" those I know personally couldn't have made that choice, especially as it's still stigmatized in some parts of the country, and by some churches that call themselves Christian. Other Christian churches have embraced equality, and not only welcome GLBT people, they even have ordained homosexuals as well as women. This bitch is definitely a disgrace to the profession, and if she hates gay people, she should teach at a school run by those so-called Christian churches that hate the same people she does.

I finally read this article and it is ridiculous.

"We want to make the public see that we love the homosexuals, but we don't think it's right nor should it be accepted," said a local student.

So invite everyone (including the people you allegedly love) to the prom, and if you feel that strongly about sex, ban everyone from having sex at the prom.

"I believe that it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way; God created everyone equal," said Medley.

What's "unequal" about being gay??? Besides getting treated like crap by some people.

"'So the same goes for gays? Do you think they have a purpose in life?' No I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it. A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God," said Medley.

What is anyone's purpose in life? Geez, you might as well ask "what's a brunette's purpose in life?" or, let's say we pick something you can 'choose': "what's a homophobic person's purpose in life?"

One of the last things I read last night was an article on facebook about this - apparently this woman doesn't actually teach at the school that is being discussed, and the school itself has said that they ARE having a totally inclusive prom.

Archived