IGNORED

Fundies and "Downton Abbey"

YPestis

piece of trivia m ost people don't know: june cleaver actually pondered the idea of taking a job to ward one episode...his answer had nothing to with a womens place is in the home bs...he said it would just put them in higher tax bracket ;)

Srsly?! That's pretty interesting.

My first boyfriend was from a sadly broken family. He used to quote LITB like it was the best story ever. His pudgy little wispy-whiskered face would just light up when he told about something that Ward said to the Beav or Wally. (My main takeaway from the show was that I just wanted to PUNCH Eddie Haskell, and then scold June for being so naive.)

The above *does* have to do with fundie/dominionist attitudes toward DA, because it's my guess that they in their modest and frustrating circumstances look at DA and drift, for an hour, to a time and place where everything worked out, even if they were the belowstairs people. Mr. Carson was stern but wise, benevolent; Mrs. Hughes was at once madonna and eternal virgin, and if Ethel received mercy?, well, she'd be close enough to her child's unforgiving grandfather that she'd better the heck not put a toe out of line!

I can snark on the fundies'/dommies' devotion to DA, but it's hard to hate on it ... especially thinking of those who watch from singlewides that don't have good insulation, etc. And hey, look at it this way: there's got to be more than one little girl and little boy who look at the flapper-style garments and think, "Fabulous! I'm gonna be in the wardrobing side of theater/movies some day!" ;)

Archived