IGNORED

Munck's Funeral.

OkToBeTakei

Not really wishing to snark on somebody's loss. But I find it extremely odd that they took photos.

muncksquiver.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/rest-in-peace.html

not related, but in two posts below that one mama munck talks about reading Charlotte's Web with the children. STEVIE WOULD NOT APPROVE!!!

ETA they even had a book party, spider web cake, and watched the MOVIE!! Stevie would gouge his eyes out at the very thought.

I find it odd too, I could see maybe one photo of the gathered family (we recently took a photo of all my cousins at my grandmother's funeral since it was the first time and last time we will have all the cousins gathered together) and maybe one of the grave-site but that's about it.

Take a look at the SOTDRT spelling on the tombstone. "Beloved husband & father and a lasting legacey" :?

I find it odd too, I could see maybe one photo of the gathered family (we recently took a photo of all my cousins at my grandmother's funeral since it was the first time and last time we will have all the cousins gathered together) and maybe one of the grave-site but that's about it.

Take a look at the SOTDRT spelling on the tombstone. "Beloved husband & father and a lasting legacey" :?

Oh. That's a bit unfortunate :(

Whoa, had to take a look. That is unfortunate indeed. SOTDRT carved in stone, literally.

One would think that it would have gotten corrected in the process of making the stone, but guess not.

I don't find it odd. One side of my family takes lots of funeral photos; the other does not. Since it is a National Cemetery, the stone will be replaced with corrected spelling.

I don't find it odd. One side of my family takes lots of funeral photos; the other does not. Since it is a National Cemetery, the stone will be replaced with corrected spelling.

The stone has been there since 2005 though.

In the comments, someone named Jody signed off with, "Always experiencing Him, Jody".

Is there a competition among fundies to find the oddest way to sign off?

Another person commented that military funerals are always more poignant. Every funeral I've been to has been poignant.

I am putting on my "funeral director's kid" hat here. It happens all the time. Dad is often asked if they provide photography services. There are even special computer programs designed to print out album pages to fit in register books. I am not necessarily a fan of the photography but to each their own I guess.

I find it odd, but Jews don't take photos at funerals. It's one of those things that I just knew not to do, but nobody had ever told me explicitly. When I asked other people, they also agreed that it's something Jews don't do, but nobody could explain why. It's probably for a number of reasons.

Yeah but that could have been a mistake made by a public school educated mason. I have a relative's grave where the DOB is wrong and the middle name is spelled with the wrong letter - and those errors were made by the mason, not by the surviving family who wrote it out. Getting it changed is an ongoing battle because the undertaker insist we got our loved one's birthday wrong and couldn't spell her name.

Paps+Funeral+002.JPG

Who engraves those stones? Even if they submitted language with SODRT fail spelling on it, shouldnt whatever government agency is responsible for ensuring uniformity have corrected it?

:doh:

If it were my relative I'd be raising holy hell at a typo like that. But I guess that assumes they realized the error...

I find it odd, but Jews don't take photos at funerals. It's one of those things that I just knew not to do, but nobody had ever told me explicitly. When I asked other people, they also agreed that it's something Jews don't do, but nobody could explain why. It's probably for a number of reasons.

I was taught, growing up, that no photos (and covering mirrors) was to allow people to grieve openly and un-self-consciously.

Whether that is actually "official," or just the interpretation of the rabbis and family members with whom I came in contact, I don't know.

In the comments, someone named Jody signed off with, "Always experiencing Him, Jody".

Is there a competition among fundies to find the oddest way to sign off?

Another person commented that military funerals are always more poignant. Every funeral I've been to has been poignant.

I guess it's not much weirder than Sarah M. recently signing off with, "Resting in Jesus," after the latest blog of adventures with the elderly.

That was a failure on the national cemetarys part. My father's head stone was incorrect. My sisters and I got on the phone and raised hell to have it replaced with a corrected head stone. The folks at the cemetary asked my mother to wait until she passes to correct it...(military spouses can be buried in the same grave as the deceased service member)

Maybe the SOTDRT fail is that they weren't literate enough to notice it was wrong?

Yeah but that could have been a mistake made by a public school educated mason.

I hope you only used that to say it could have been not the homeschool family, not to bash public schools, as teachers in public schools would be just as horrified to have a student write that.

I was taught, growing up, that no photos (and covering mirrors) was to allow people to grieve openly and un-self-consciously.

Whether that is actually "official," or just the interpretation of the rabbis and family members with whom I came in contact, I don't know.

I have never even seen a camera at a funeral, which may be the reason I found it so odd. I would probably be pretty horrified if somebody whipped one out at the cemetery or to take a photo of the coffin. That makes sense to me Thoughtful.

I wonder if it is a newish phenomena, as discussed in an other thread hiring a professional photographer for your birth experience, engagements, pregnancy, family Christmas etc. I think some of these are popular in the US. With the digital age it is easier to mark life events via photography.

Funerals though. Is it perhaps a continuation of this or perhaps that recently funerals of celebrities have been televised, photographed?

I hope they got that headstone at a deep discount.

I have never even seen a camera at a funeral, which may be the reason I found it so odd. I would probably be pretty horrified if somebody whipped one out at the cemetery or to take a photo of the coffin. That makes sense to me Thoughtful.

I wonder if it is a newish phenomena, as discussed in an other thread hiring a professional photographer for your birth experience, engagements, pregnancy, family Christmas etc. I think some of these are popular in the US. With the digital age it is easier to mark life events via photography.

Funerals though. Is it perhaps a continuation of this or perhaps that recently funerals of celebrities have been televised, photographed?

Same here, I was also raised with the idea that funerals were no place to take pictures, so I would probably be horrified if I saw someone whip out a camera at a funeral to take a picture of the casket either opened or closed.

I know of a fundie family whose young son died while they were serving as missionaries in an African country. They took pictures of his body in the casket, with all the other kids standing around it. They have an entire FB album with pictures of the body, actually.

Meh on the photos. Postmortem photos were very common when a person might only have a photo taken once or twice in their lives. I think that this is just a carry over from that Victorian tradition.

My family didn't take pictures at funerals, but I have been to funerals and burials where attendees were photographing the events.

A couple of weeks ago a young man showed me a picture of his four-year-old self standing beside his father's casket. His dad was murdered in prison, and this picture is the only thing he has to remind him of his dad. The kid carries this picture folded up in his back pocket every day. It brought me to tears then, and it chokes me up thinking about it now.

Re the misspelling on the headstone: I saw a 100+-year-old one that said "Granddaugter."

I know of a fundie family whose young son died while they were serving as missionaries in an African country. They took pictures of his body in the casket, with all the other kids standing around it. They have an entire FB album with pictures of the body, actually.

David Waller's family, or are you speaking of yet another family who did this?

I noticed that the Muncks have a picture of all of the boys and men standing around the headstone, but no women and girls -- either in that pic or a separate pic. Wonder what the thought is behind that.

Archived