IGNORED

God bought Lauren a dress

Daenerys

This. The first one was probably a bit too tight, and this one, "several sizes larger", is too big. She should have kept on shopping until God showed her the one that was juuust right.

Maybe her God never read that fairytale?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it didn't help me find any vintage Pyrex last night, but I did find a cute sweater, so who knows? :lol:

By the way, congrats on the weight loss! :)

Thank you!

What type of Pyrex? I have some vintage stuff.

Thank you!

What type of Pyrex? I have some vintage stuff.

Anything made in the 50s through the 70s--primary colours, the Amish butterprint pattern, butterfly gold, spring blossom green, turquoise, pink,. Bowls, casseroles, refrigerator dishes--you name it, I generally collect it. :lol: A few things from the early 80s, but they were phasing patterns out by then, so not much of that. What pieces have you got? Are you a collector or do you just have some favourite pieces? :)

Edited because I hit submit before askng my last question. :doh:

I went to a local thrift shop today and I saw the first Harry Potter book and I happen to own all the Harry Potter books except that one, so I was all "Yeah! God loves me enough to give me Harry Potter!". But right as I was going to get it this kid ran up all excited because he had seen it and had been wanting to read it, so, since I am not completely horrible, I did not knock over a kid and get the book.

I was a tad sad, but as I looked through the books a little more I found Twilight and it was only 50 cents so I figured God wanted me to read Twilight again. Now God just needs to provide the rest of the Twilight series.

It was such a blessed day.

Anything made in the 50s through the 70s--primary colours, the Amish butterprint pattern, butterfly gold, spring blossom green, turquoise, pink,. Bowls, casseroles, refrigerator dishes--you name it, I generally collect it. :lol: A few things from the early 80s, but they were phasing patterns out by then, so not much of that. What pieces have you got? Are you a collector or do you just have some favourite pieces? :)

My mom has a set with a large turquoise bowl and a small white bowl with a turquoise pattern. She used to store leftover chili in the white one... and now I'm getting verklempt thinking about it, for some reason. I guess because that little bowl reminds me of my childhood.

Apparantly I've got rid of the stuff, the only piece left is a plain Pyrex glass Charlotte Russe mould. I'll be happy to send it to you, I just need your address.

Posing on or very near rough tree trunks while wearing a snaggable cable knit sweater dress doesn't seem like the brightest idea. But this dress is enchanted and from God or whatever, so maybe it's indestructible.

How old is she?

Looking at the dress post, I assumed she was around 30, but looking at her old posts - maybe the haircut and the saggy gray dress is making her look more mature?

I think she is like 22ish, but God really did do a bad job in picking out that dress. God needs to stay out of fashion and go back to feeding the hungry.

Dear God,

I would like a painfree VBAC next August. I know you are very, very busy, what with inspiring the Maxwells, Sarah Mally and sundry other SAHDs to prepare for a life of christlike homemaking, but I know you can find time in between laying in on their hearts to harangue, I mean witness, to people and write books to help me out. I want this more than I want to enjoy sweet fellowship with my headship who's purposed to once again add to his quiver.

Yours in glorious expectation,

Drina Adams.

This. The first one was probably a bit too tight, and this one, "several sizes larger", is too big. She should have kept on shopping until God showed her the one that was juuust right.

I agree. Just look at the armpits - the material is bunching. That's one of the areas where you can really tell fit and there's not much you can do to make it look better without having to totally take the dress apart.

It probably would have looked nice in the right size but as someone else said, you can't take a dress that is supposed to be form-fitting and try to drape it. It's always going to have some problem areas/seams because it wasn't structured to be worn that way.

Two thoughts: Lauren doesn't write nearly as well as she thinks she does. And this, from Mikaela's "about me:" Only a decade ago, I had the same mindset many other girls have, expecting to go to college, get a job, and be “independent†for an indefinite period. Now I am content to remain in my father’s house and under his guidance until he passes on the responsibility to another man. is one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Apparantly I've got rid of the stuff, the only piece left is a plain Pyrex glass Charlotte Russe mould. I'll be happy to send it to you, I just need your address.

Oh, no, no, you don't have to do that! :o I thought you were another crazy Pyrex collector like me and was just curious to know what all you had! :oops: But thank you for the offer, that was incredibly kind of you! :)

My mom has a set with a large turquoise bowl and a small white bowl with a turquoise pattern. She used to store leftover chili in the white one... and now I'm getting verklempt thinking about it, for some reason. I guess because that little bowl reminds me of my childhood.

I think this is why I started collecting Pyrex. My mom had (and still has) the primary colour mixing bowl set--small blue, medium red, large green, huge yellow--and I always loved them. Then my brother found a set of them for me at a flea market, and then I found a piece at a thrift store that my grandmother had had, and from there it kind of snowballed. I really need to stop, though, I'm out of room now. :lol:

In my fundie days we were advised to pray over every little thing: clothes to wear that day, a card to send to a friend, what to make for dinner. I was taught that God cared about the minutia of our daily lives. As such, I would pray for parking spaces when I was desperate to park close (I don't want to go into details). Although, I felt uncomfortable about it - like it was REALLY shallow and vapid of me.

I don't know how to explain the idea behind it - especially when looking at it from a third world, poverty stricken perspective - but, I'll try - it was like God knew that we would be born in America and that all problems are scaled per what was expected in that culture - so, a dress would have equal importance to someone in more desperate need. Anyhow, that's what it kind of boiled down to. Looking at it now - I think it's stupid and entitled.

In my fundie days we were advised to pray over every little thing: clothes to wear that day, a card to send to a friend, what to make for dinner. I was taught that God cared about the minutia of our daily lives. As such, I would pray for parking spaces when I was desperate to park close (I don't want to go into details). Although, I felt uncomfortable about it - like it was REALLY shallow and vapid of me.

I don't know how to explain the idea behind it - especially when looking at it from a third world, poverty stricken perspective - but, I'll try - it was like God knew that we would be born in America and that all problems are scaled per what was expected in that culture - so, a dress would have equal importance to someone in more desperate need. Anyhow, that's what it kind of boiled down to. Looking at it now - I think it's stupid and entitled.

I wasn't raised fundie, but I understand this teaching as I'm surrounded by people who believe it here in Pat Robertson country. It's all part of the Biblical idea that if God can care for the least little sparrow, he'll care for us, no matter what we need or want, and that because he's omnipotent, he can get that parking spot for us at the same time he cures someone of cancer, feeds a starving child, and stops a tsunami from hitting the shores of the Philippines.

I think she is like 22ish, but God really did do a bad job in picking out that dress. God needs to stay out of fashion and go back to feeding the hungry.

God could really step up his game in this area, too.

:evil:

I wasn't raised fundie, but I understand this teaching as I'm surrounded by people who believe it here in Pat Robertson country. It's all part of the Biblical idea that if God can care for the least little sparrow, he'll care for us, no matter what we need or want, and that because he's omnipotent, he can get that parking spot for us at the same time he cures someone of cancer, feeds a starving child, and stops a tsunami from hitting the shores of the Philippines.

If you are Catholic, you just ask the saints for stupid stuff. Ex: St. Anthony, patron saint of lost things. God doesn't have time to look for your stuff for you but I guess St. Anthony does.

If you are Catholic, you just ask the saints for stupid stuff. Ex: St. Anthony, patron saint of lost things. God doesn't have time to look for your stuff for you but I guess St. Anthony does.

I am Catholic, as a matter of fact. I wonder, is there a patron saint of thrift store shoppers? :think:

:laughing-rolling:

I am Catholic, as a matter of fact. I wonder, is there a patron saint of thrift store shoppers? :think:

:laughing-rolling:

Does St. Vincent de Paul count? He (or his charity) owns thrift stores... :lol:

ETA: The dress probably didn't fit well because she went to Goodwill. Better to go to the official, Saint-sponsored thrift stores.

So this is my first real run in with a fundie. Well, besides Lady Lydia (or as I like to call her the Fog Lady).

So her god is a sort of Genie in the Lamp? You'd think god would give her a dress that didn't make her look like a school teacher.

Ugh reading on further in her blog has lowered brain power by at least 10 points...

Does St. Vincent de Paul count? He (or his charity) owns thrift stores... :lol:

ETA: The dress probably didn't fit well because she went to Goodwill. Better to go to the official, Saint-sponsored thrift stores.

Gah, I forgot about St Vincent. Probably because we don't have any of his stores here. :doh: I wonder if I can still pray to him when I go to the Salvation Army store. :pray:

Archived