IGNORED

God bought Lauren a dress

Daenerys

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But did God give her a parking spot outside both thrift stores? Lauren he may not love you quite as much as you think he does but I'm sure you can compensate for that.

I'm heading out to Goodwill later this evening. I'm good as far as modest clothing goes, but I really, really need some more pieces of vintage pink or turquoise Pyrex. :pray:

I'm sorry, I just can't type that with a straight face. :lol:

"Well, if it was Goodwill the odds are pretty good that you could find the same nwt dress in a different size if it was from Target. Target donates past season/way past clearance/customer returns, etc items to Goodwill who then marks them almost up to the original retail. I shop at multiple Goodwills and have seen this often."

I agree that a store likely donated a ton of dresses so it was distribution, not divine providence, that resulted in the same dress being available in two different thrift stores. Sorry about your Goodwill, though. The one near me gets new stuff from Target and sells it at half the retail price, or below. I've picked up a lot of good toys that way.

New clothes in thrift store=store or manufacturer donation.

New clothes in thrift store=God made a special plan for me to have that dress.

What is it with these people?

Closed Womb, I commented on the post saying pretty much the same things as you. Surprise of surprises, she didn't publish it.

I don't think they really like any comments that question them.

The dress is probably two sizes too big and isn't flattering. She's pretty and looks nice in gray, but that's not really the ideal dress for her. God has no fashion sense.

So, God took time from healing the sick, feeding the hungry and helping the homeless find safe haven and just helped you find that dress because you're just *so* blessed and loved?

Honey, you don't know squat.

I know you'll just delete my comment but at least I said something.

That is the comment I left on her blog.

There is so much wrong with this type of theology. It just doesn't bear up to even the slightest critical thought. What does she believe is happening when something goes seriously wrong in her life or in the lives of others? If she or someone she loves dies of cancer is that because God is punishing them? This stuff just pisses me off.

I believe in God and I've struggled with my beliefs about gratefulness as I've grown out of Bible Belt version of Christianity that surrounded me as a kid. I'm thankful to God for the wonderful things in my life, but there's no way I believe that the good things that come to me have anything to do with me being deserving or not deserving. God is not somewhere up in the sky counting up brownie points and handing out good parking spots, gray dresses, or get-out-of-jail-free cards to some and cancer and starvation to others. I can't even imagine wanting to worship a God that works that way. If I believed that God was even remotely how most Fundies seem to view Her, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with Her.

I don't think they really like any comments that question them.

Of course not, that would require ebil thinking. And only teh menz are allowed to do that!

I don't remember this whole God bought me a dress/horse/found me a parking spot line of thinking being taught when I was young. I don't remember anyone talking like this, but it seems like fundie blogs are all about the bloggers being so special that God goes out of His way to treat them better than everyone else.

God obviously doesn't have enough to do.

Perhaps we should offer the supreme being a prioritised to-do list: now how could it start?

1 Achieve world peace . . .

2 Stop world hunger . . .

3 Deal with global warming . . .

4 Find that bloody butterfly whose flapping wings have been causing so much chaos recently . . .

How self-obsessed and small minded is it possible to get?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hey Lauren: "That which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God." (Luke chapter 16). So perhaps God is not that into your cable-knit dress.

Glad to know I am not the only irked by the constant immodest look-at-me-I'm-better-than-you refrain of "I'm GOD'S Daughter" and "I'm a Daughter of the KING."

Look at me, serf! I'm a pretty pretty Princess!!! But don't touch.

Appparently the rest of us are bastard spawn of the devil? Or spontaneously generated?

But did God give her a parking spot outside both thrift stores? Lauren he may not love you quite as much as you think he does but I'm sure you can compensate for that.

Also a turkey and/or hot dog buns for a family get-together? Inquiring minds (don't really) want to know...

First time reading her blog. She is a class A douche. GTF over yourself. I found her to be extraordinarily irritating.

It is actually written by twins, but they are both equally annoying and self-centered so it is hard to tell their writing apart.

I love how god can find time in his busy schedule for providing modest dresses and sundry other treats for spoiled American Christians. Never mind the orphans with AIDS, that SAHD needed a new frock.

You cannot take a dress that is meant to be tight fitting and cling and attempt to turn it into a dress that drapes. It looks hideous, and it does because she just completely violated the design and cut of the dress so it looks baggy and unflattering. It probably did look terrific on her when it was the right size, but now she just looks like she's in a baggy, ovrsized cable sweater that she things a belt will hide it looks like a mumu.

I have been far to exposed to this idea that God reaches down to impact every detail of you life. In her case, it's even worse theology than usual. MOST people who think God does that believe he is trying to guide you into learning a lesson. She thinks God is just rewarding her for being his.

These girls are doomed from the start. Some of Lauren's developments on "modest" dress:

I remember the moment of climax in the battle for modesty in my life. I must have been around fourteen or fifteen, and, believe it or not, I wanted to dress like “all the other girls†around me. I was confused as to what modest standards were, and my wise mother took me aside and we had long wonderful talks on the subject. “What are the godly older girls around you wearing?†she asked at one point in the conversation. My oh-so-on-top-of-it sin nature immediately searched through my acquaintances filed under “godly role models†and I named a few whose attire supported my desire.

Wait, what? Why was that your "sin nature"? You have a number of girls that you and your parents both respect as role models who dress a certain way, so why shouldn't you want to dress like them? Oh yeah, maybe because the clothes you wear don't actually determine the quality of your character :roll:

“Yes,†my mother consented, “But what about this girl and this girl and this girl?†She proceeded to name several young ladies whom I highly respected and whom I had to admit I had never seen in anything less than modest. We eventually finished our important discussion, I talked to my father on the subject, and I now look back at that time as the moment when I truly took on convictions concerning modesty for myself because I realized that was what God wanted me to do.

Stupid. These "modest" girls are magically better role models because of some arbitrary opinion of your mother's. That makes no sense. Being brainwashed does NOT count as taking on convictions for yourself, and your parents' opinions=/=what God wants.

onebrightcorner.blogspot.com/2011/03/no-auditions-for-role-modelling.html

I lost 20 kg and need new clothes, would it help if....... you know pray? :?: :pray: :pray:

Well, it didn't help me find any vintage Pyrex last night, but I did find a cute sweater, so who knows? :lol:

By the way, congrats on the weight loss! :)

That dress is minging. Her God needs a Gok Wan makeover.

Maybe if it was the right size.

The dress is probably two sizes too big and isn't flattering. She's pretty and looks nice in gray, but that's not really the ideal dress for her. God has no fashion sense.

This. The first one was probably a bit too tight, and this one, "several sizes larger", is too big. She should have kept on shopping until God showed her the one that was juuust right.

Archived