IGNORED

Oh, Kidist. As IF.

Marian the Librarian

I've never written to her but if I had, I doubt whining about people who write to disagree with you would garner more than laughter. Plus, as a nonwhite, does that mean I should not be threatened if a nonwhite (kidst) complains to the human rights commission? Or are asians clumped together with white people now?

Not by Kidist. As far as she's concerned, Asians are the worst, what with the Asian ladies marrying white dudes and being nannies for white children and being ballerinas at her.

"I am watching PBS Pioneers of Television program as I write this post, and tonight's focus is The Miniseries. Roots is one miniseries being discussed. At the very end, one of the slaves, George says: "Kunta Kinte, he never forget where he come from. He never forget Africa."

Of course, this is said in the spirit of black racial pride, according to the film, but it speaks of the deep discontent blacks have in America. So I wasn't wrong, or callous, when I say: "You don’t love the country, you don’t wish it well.â€

I would say the same to Obama, "You don’t love the country, you don’t wish it well." He cannot go anywhere though, so his dilemma, and his anger, is unresolvable, in his own eyes. I don't know what the solution is for people like Obama, whose deep set discontent is what a large majority of blacks feel. Perhaps humility is their only answer, not the forced and undignified humility that slaves suffered, but the humility that this is all in God's hands."

So the line of a black actor playing a 19th century slave in a work of fiction is indicative of the mindset of Barack Obama, the 21st century president of the United States. Cause they are both black. But apparently Kidist, who is also black, is somehow exempt from this mindset that defines every other black person.........

The other thing here is that all of Kidist's horrible white supremacist pals probably proudly describe themselves as "Irish American" or "German American" and wear kilts if their great-grandfathers so much as drank a glass of Scotch.

Now she's selling things and asking for donations for her new (hideous) Beauty Blog. I find it hilarious that she's charging outrageous prices for that hideous design she made, which seems to be the ONLY design as well.

Kidist fancies herself an architectural historian! I am undertaking a masters in architecture history and theory at this very moment, and I find her cut-and-paste view of history and criticism pretty weak. Really, Kidist, Libeskind's Jewish museum is an architecture of "death and annihilation?" You'd think it would be a museum for the Holocaust or something, with a theme like that! She seems to not understand how architectural deconstruction relates to the failure of social reforms through government and social reforms through architecture, equating deconstructivism with somehow giving up on the hope of future, rather than expressive of the death of positivistic architectural solutions. Also, cheesy Irish pub photos as an example of good design? Good luck ever being taken seriously as a design critic, not that that's been much of a possibility at any point in her life.

Now she's selling things and asking for donations for her new (hideous) Beauty Blog. I find it hilarious that she's charging outrageous prices for that hideous design she made, which seems to be the ONLY design as well.

Besides her boring-whatever "trillium" stuff, it looks like there is a second design up for auction. For a mug, which looks like it is wreathed by rows of pubes. (Just try to un-see that reference now that I've mentioned it, internet...)

That she is black AND an Afican immigrant does not negate the reality that she is one of the most rapidly racist bloggers we've ever discussed on here. She not only denies her own miniority status unless it serves as a weapon to pull the victim card out, but she somehow truly believes that unless it works to call others racist, she can make herself white by simply calling herself such.

(snip)

Only to the bolded: After the quip about the HRC, I'm starting to think that it's a bit more nuanced than that. "White" may be the default privileged people in our Western thinking, but I think that in Kidist's thinking, it's the privilege that translates for her, not "white". I work closely with a visible minority in a Western context, and some of its first generation members are quite racist towards other minorities. They have some concept of the fact that they're in the same boat as other minorities, but being racist towards others is a way of making themselves feel superior within a framework that actually devalues them. For example, they might say quite terrible stuff about the black minority, and when you point out to them that they're in the same boat, their answer will be that they're not, because they think the white majority population considers them as a "good" minority, hence will share their privilege.

Doing that makes them look "successful" - they think- within a particular, very racist hierarchy that circumstances make them work with. I think that Kidist is trying the same, and comes off sounding even worse because Canada doesn't work that way (?). I don't know enough about Canada, to make that call. It could be, because she seems aware of her status as "non-white", but wholly unaware of her lack of white privilege, because she was used to privilege.

Uhm, can someone please tell me a bit more about racial hierarchies/racism in Canada? Is there such a thing as white privilege there? I'm not Canadian or Kidist, so this is pure conjecture based on working with a minority within a non-Canadian, predominantly white context that suffers from racism.

tl;dr: I suspect she doesn't see herself as "white", but thinks that the privilege and status she enjoyed in Ethiopia is the same she should have in Canada. The "white ruling class" should see her as an "equal", because she's better than all those pesky Asians/Indians/green-blue-chequered people, and she suffers some major cognitive dissonance, because that's not the way things work in Canada.

She recently compared Michelle Obama to Darth Vader... cameraluc.blogspot. com/2013/01/deconstructing-and-reconstructing-first.html

(...)

Uhm, can someone please tell me a bit more about racial hierarchies/racism in Canada? Is there such a thing as white privilege there? I'm not Canadian or Kidist, so this is pure conjecture based on working with a minority within a non-Canadian, predominantly white context that suffers from racism.

tl;dr: I suspect she doesn't see herself as "white", but thinks that the privilege and status she enjoyed in Ethiopia is the same she should have in Canada. The "white ruling class" should see her as an "equal", because she's better than all those pesky Asians/Indians/green-blue-chequered people, and she suffers some major cognitive dissonance, because that's not the way things work in Canada.

Canadian here; not an expert on race relations, but I can speak to my own experiences having lived in 3 larger Canadian cities. I think you hit the nail on the head with the (relative) lack of "white privilege" that exists in Canada skewing Kidist's perception of the way the world works. I hesitate to say that "white privilege" does not exist here (that would be pretty naive), but in terms of social hierarchy, being non-white should not hold you back in the majority of situations, so long as you are integrated enough to speak English fluently. (Quebec is the exception to this, and it's where I live now, but that's another whole issue). If you keep your traditional religion, that's cool; if you cover your head, still cool; you can still make friends with people of other races without issue, and it is likewise very common to date and/or marry a person of another race (as Kidist herself has observed on the streets of Toronto). It is unlikely that you will be pressured to change your religion or become Christian, and most urban-dwellers don't have an issue with being friends with someone of another religion. I've had friends from around the world stay in Canada a couple of years and say they feel "Canadian" as well as a citizen of their own country, and they're absolutely right.

It's not to say that racists don't exist here (case in point, Kidist!) it's just that most of the kind of people I know wouldn't be friends with or associate with people who were overtly racist, probably the reason Kidist doesn't seem to have many friends. I've had a friend from Hong Kong who lived in London for a time ask me if Canadians looked down on Asian people, and my eyes just about fell out of my head with shock that she had experienced this in Britain. (To clarify, I was living in the Netherlands at the time, not Canada). Really, Vancouver in particular would not be Vancouver as I know it without Asian people. That said, the recent aboriginal rights movement in Canada is revealing a lot of latent racism by white people towards native people, and it bums me out. I wish we were much better than we are.

Also, I can't speak to the experiences of minorities and my personal experience is likely different from theirs, though I have tried to be objective. (though in Kidist's eyes, as a Free Jinger poster, I am an honourary Asian, a label I would be honoured to assume ;)). I also haven't lived in smaller towns where there is less diversity and minorities are more likely to be treated differently or negatively.

See, I don't think it has to do with her Canadian home and more to do with her Ethiopian roots. Amharic Ethiopians are generally considered to be descendent from middle eastern origins and not so "African." It's not actualy true and the idea that lighter skin means lesser African origins is false but held strongly enough that I've seen it referenced in both documents I worked with in history projects and adoption agencies. Most adoption agencies will note children who are Amharic, as if they were something "different and better" than other children.

I suspect she fancies herself either Amharic or with Italian ancestry and therefore is not "black African." It's possible she might be both Amharic and Italian in ancestry but she is STILL Ethiopian and very clearly a minority. The African continent has a strong perference to lighter is better and white is best. It's prevalent enough that you can find lightening products everywhere, despite most of them being highy dangerous. There's been a very recent movement in the African beauty industry to push back against this concept of African beauty and embrace being darker and natural, but its only just coming out of it's grassroots beginnings now.

I don't see Kidist identifying as non-minority because of racial relations where she lives, but because of an inability to expand beyond the racial connotations of where she comes from. Just like what Latin Americans call "blonde" would make most Europeans scratch their head in total confusion what Kidist calls "white" is not at ALL "white" in the West. Kidist may be very light for an Ethiopian but she's dark compared to a Scandanavian (for example). I just don't see that she's ever expanded her mind and thinking to reflect her new home that is far more diversified and inclusive than she is. Mostly, I see her behavior has poor elitist behaviors from herself and her family of origin that she cannot and will not adapt to her new reality.

Thanks for answering and the insights, wtylcf!

@ chaoticlife: - if your post was in reply to me-

I think both play a role, but I don't think that she sees herself as "white", but as privileged. And I think we're broadly arguing the same point. What I was trying to say in a rather verbose way is that she simply took her framework, transposed it onto Canada and runs with it. Which, I think, is what you're saying? Sorry, my mind is still suffering from yesterday's rugby game (Scotland won, yay!).

As I said, I think we're belabouring the same point. My beef was with "white" as a possible short-cut for saying "privileged". I don't see Kidist as wanting to be "white", but as just not understanding why she doesn't enjoy privilege any more on the basis of simply being born into the "right class". That's what some members of the minority I work with do. They come off as horribly racist, and they are, because they transpose the system they grew up in onto another society,

As you said, Kidist doesn't reflect - neither do the people I work with-, and to my mind, she seems baffled that she doesn't enjoy the same status and privilege she would have been afforded in the Ethiopia of yonder. So, I think we're on the same page, but if we aren't please be gentle with me. (My brain is hurting and my SO is wearing his kilt again. Men in kilts, what more need I say? :oops: Oh yeah, according to the PP and Doug Phillis (is a tool), men wear trousers, because that's totally biblical... :twisted: )

Gotcha, I think we are arguing the same point.

I think you are correct that what Kidist means is "priviledged" which is what she knows "white" to understand. She cannot step out of her own ethnocentrism to see both that the West does not necessarily refer to "priviledged" as "white" and that no one in the West would ever classify her as "white" in the first place. No one would classify her as "priviledged" either, but it is very clear that she believes she IS priviledged, white, and better than other minorities who are different and thus beneath her.

But Kidist herself talks about white people and European culture all the time, and only acknowledges that this isn't a group she is part of when it suits her (cf. the Great Ballet School Caper, where she spouts racist garbage about how dare a ballerina be Chinese, that is ruining everything, but then when a white administrator asks her to leave she accuses the white woman of being racist).

I think her issues allow her to reconcile the cognitive dissonance of "White people are the best" and "Anyone who gives me flak is being racist against my proud Amharic heritage" no matter how apparent the contradictions seem to the rest of us.

Gotcha, I think we are arguing the same point.

I think you are correct that what Kidist means is "priviledged" which is what she knows "white" to understand. She cannot step out of her own ethnocentrism to see both that the West does not necessarily refer to "priviledged" as "white" and that no one in the West would ever classify her as "white" in the first place. No one would classify her as "priviledged" either, but it is very clear that she believes she IS priviledged, white, and better than other minorities who are different and thus beneath her.

We are arguing the same point. :) Yay for reading comprehension for my very befuddled mind, and not yay for not getting you the first time around. (Sorry, I'm very, very sore)

P.S.: Riffle that I can't edit in the previous post, so Doug Phillips is a tool

Why would Kidist need donations to run a blog that costs her no fees? Blog Post is a free blogging website as far as I know.

Why would Kidist need donations to run a blog that costs her no fees? Blog Post is a free blogging website as far as I know.

She's fundraising so she has the money to publish a book of her hate-filled rants! I suppose there's too many brown people and too many anti-racists on Kickstarter for her liking.

She's fundraising so she has the money to publish a book of her hate-filled rants! I suppose there's too many brown people and too many anti-racists on Kickstarter for her liking.

Oops, I missed that. Hmm, I wonder if Kidist's enlightening tome will get her on the Sunday morning political shows here in the States? Ann Coulter is getting a bit long in the tooth.

If there was even a single Asian woman on there she'd go nuts.

Canadian here; not an expert on race relations, but I can speak to my own experiences having lived in 3 larger Canadian cities. I think you hit the nail on the head with the (relative) lack of "white privilege" that exists in Canada skewing Kidist's perception of the way the world works. I hesitate to say that "white privilege" does not exist here (that would be pretty naive), but in terms of social hierarchy, being non-white should not hold you back in the majority of situations, so long as you are integrated enough to speak English fluently. (Quebec is the exception to this, and it's where I live now, but that's another whole issue). If you keep your traditional religion, that's cool; if you cover your head, still cool; you can still make friends with people of other races without issue, and it is likewise very common to date and/or marry a person of another race (as Kidist herself has observed on the streets of Toronto). It is unlikely that you will be pressured to change your religion or become Christian, and most urban-dwellers don't have an issue with being friends with someone of another religion. I've had friends from around the world stay in Canada a couple of years and say they feel "Canadian" as well as a citizen of their own country, and they're absolutely right.

It's not to say that racists don't exist here (case in point, Kidist!) it's just that most of the kind of people I know wouldn't be friends with or associate with people who were overtly racist, probably the reason Kidist doesn't seem to have many friends. I've had a friend from Hong Kong who lived in London for a time ask me if Canadians looked down on Asian people, and my eyes just about fell out of my head with shock that she had experienced this in Britain. (To clarify, I was living in the Netherlands at the time, not Canada). Really, Vancouver in particular would not be Vancouver as I know it without Asian people. That said, the recent aboriginal rights movement in Canada is revealing a lot of latent racism by white people towards native people, and it bums me out. I wish we were much better than we are.

Also, I can't speak to the experiences of minorities and my personal experience is likely different from theirs, though I have tried to be objective. (though in Kidist's eyes, as a Free Jinger poster, I am an honourary Asian, a label I would be honoured to assume ;)). I also haven't lived in smaller towns where there is less diversity and minorities are more likely to be treated differently or negatively.

There are a few things that seem to distinguish race issues in Canada from those in the US:

1. There is a HUGE urban/rural divide when it comes to multiculturalism. Canada has a few big cities, which are extremely diverse, and a vast hinterland which is not.

2. The racial makeup of visible minorities is different. There are fewer Blacks and Hispanics, and far more immigrants from everywhere in Asia.

3. Many of the visible minorities are also immigrants.

(snip)There are a few things that seem to distinguish race issues in Canada from those in the US:

1. There is a HUGE urban/rural divide when it comes to multiculturalism. Canada has a few big cities, which are extremely diverse, and a vast hinterland which is not.

2. The racial makeup of visible minorities is different. There are fewer Blacks and Hispanics, and far more immigrants from everywhere in Asia.

3. Many of the visible minorities are also immigrants.

Thanks for the answer! I come from a place of ignorance about Canada, especially regarding racial relations, so your and wtylcf's insights are enormously interesting to me. Thank you!

Thanks for the answer! I come from a place of ignorance about Canada, especially regarding racial relations, so your and wtylcf's insights are enormously interesting to me. Thank you!

No problem!

I had to cut my post short to pick up my daughter, so here are so more observations.

Like I said, the urban/rural divide is pretty extreme. Toronto and Vancouver are around 50% immigrant/visible minority. The urban/rural divide is also somewhat extreme in other ways - our big cities are just as big and urban as big cities anywhere else, but you really have these few cities completely dominating the economy and power and access to services. In some rural areas, if you see someone Asian, it's a good bet that they are either a doctor, professor or nuclear physicist.

Our Black population has a different makeup than the American Black population. In Quebec, many are from Haiti. In Ontario, many are from the Caribbean, esp. Jamaica. Around 20 years ago, there was also a huge influx of Somali refugees, who have their own distinct community.

We tend to have ethnic enclaves, at least in Toronto and Montreal, as well as more mixed areas. Between the enclaves and the fact that many groups arrived relatively recently, there is less assimilation. Multiculturalism is also official government policy.

Some immigrants are independently wealthy and arrive with money, but many others are often well-educated and privileged in their country of origin, only to find that they lack Canadian experience and need to start from scratch. Often, it is their children who end up doing well, since they have the advantages of both a Canadian education and parents who value education and push them hard. The majority of medical student at the University of Toronto, for example, seem to fall into the second generation immigrant category.

Someone mentioned relative privilege - you do see that here. The Chinese community overall is seen as the prototype for a successful immigrant community, and that clearly drives Kidist bonkers. The most disadvantaged community that I worked with was the Somali community in the mid-1990s - almost all were refugee claimants, many couldn't get final refugee status papers because the government in Somalia had collapsed so getting official identity papers was almost impossible, there were very few established Somali professionals to help the newcomers adjust, illiteracy rates were high, many had been traumatized by the civil war and the refugee camps, and the cultural gaps were huge. When I tried to find decent translators, counselling services, etc. they just weren't there.

Archived