IGNORED

Gay Marriage Vote.

OkToBeTakei

It will be interesting to see how the legalities will play out should the bill pass if a church refuses to marry.

Despite the bill containing a 'quadruple lock' which the government claims will protect organisations like the Church of England from legal challenge, incoming Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby spoke out against the legislation earlier.

The ResPublica report argues marriage is "inescapably heterosexual" as its primary purpose is to provide a form of social insurance for children and their mothers.

"It cannot be reduced to a contract between the partners, since it is the way in which one generation makes way for and cares for its successor," co-author Professor Roger Scruton argued.

"More than any other institution, society depends on marriage for its future, and no government should meddle with marriage without having the most serious of reasons - reasons far more serious than those so far given."

Come on, Britain! Piss off all those pearl-clutching traditional-marriage folks off royally! Give me a reason to break out the celebratory gin! :)

Guest Anonymous

They voted in favour. But Tim Loughton, interviewed on BBC news, is making me really miserable. Apparently there are a lot of 'genuine concerns' that need to be listened to as this legislation passes through blah, blah, blah... Gay marriage is an 'inconvenient distraction'... :roll:

ETA: Actually, by :roll: I mean :x

Congratulations Britain! So does this mean it's a done deal, British FJ posters?

Maybe a Royal Gay Wedding one of these decades?

It will be interesting to see how the legalities will play out should the bill pass if a church refuses to marry.

Because, ya know, people who are gay never have children. :roll:

Guest Anonymous
Congratulations Britain! So does this mean it's a done deal, British FJ posters?

Nope, not done yet. It still has to pass through the House of Lords. This vote was 400 to 175, so we can be quite happy about it.

Wouldn't that be totally awesome! :flags-wavegreatbritain: :gay-rainbowflag: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rainbow:

Dumb American question from one who is unable to google the answers immediately.. are the Senate/Congress of the US similar to the House of Lords?

Dumb American question from one who is unable to google the answers immediately.. are the Senate/Congress of the US similar to the House of Lords?

Errrmmm Stupid British girl answering....not really sure about the US political system...but basically as far as I'm aware it's been passed through the House of Commons and will then go through the House of Lords and then back through the House of Commons....or something like that. :?

ETA: So I just googled to check that I'm not talking gibberish and basically once both the House of Lords and House of Commons agree then Queen has to give her approval, known as "Royal Assent" and then it becomes a law....Sorry I don't know if this really answers your question! :oops:

It made it through the Commons. Problem is that the House of Lords also has all the Anglican bishops, and the majority of them may vote against.

The House of Lords can send the bill back to the Commons with suggested amendments etc, but they don't have the power to stop/veto it. They can only send it back a limited number of times (I think it's around 2 or 3, but I can't remember), eventually the Commons can force the bill through the Lords.

(At least that's what I remember from my one Politics module at university, about 10 years ago :? )

Another dumb American here....it's great that Britain is passing this law...but I thought they did legalize gay marriage a few years back already?

I remember reading that someone famous had gotten married to their partner...

Does/can the queen ever refuse to give Royal Assent? If so, what happens then?

Technically, she can. But as far as I recall, it's never happened. I'm not too sure what would happen if she tried, but I suppose it would lead to a major crisis, and give those who want a republic an edge.

Guest Anonymous

Technically, she can. But as far as I recall, it's never happened. I'm not too sure what would happen if she tried, but I suppose it would lead to a major crisis, and give those who want a republic an edge.

I have an idea that Royal Assent has not been denied since Queen Anne (1707?). It's a formality. It would be like that little wooden box (the Hopper?) refusing an American law.

Edited: Apparently, the Royal Assent was last withheld by Queen Anne with the Scottish Militia Bill 1708

It would be like that little wooden box (the Hopper?) refusing an American law.

That would be hilarious. NO FUCK THIS [explodes]

Guys...I know Elton John had a civil partnership several years back...but can I still hope he's going to throw a BIG FABULOUS WEDDING with his sons as ring bearers and the most awesome tuxes ever made for him and Mr. Furnish? Please, universe, make this happen!

Yes, a country increases its civil liberties and all I can think of are celebrity weddings. Oh well. Seriously, Britain, this is awesome! And it looks like France might head in the same direction sometime this year? One can only hope.

Wouldn't that be totally awesome! :flags-wavegreatbritain: :gay-rainbowflag: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rainbow:

I'm not even a little bit of a royalist (rather the opposite really), but I would absolutely watch that and buy the commemorative stamp collection. :lol:

Archived