IGNORED

Fox News Propaganda

debrand

I thought about putting this in Chatter but the article does mention god. Also, a lot of conservatives and fundamentalist like Fox News so I thought Snark might the best place for this article. Do you think that being fundamentalists or very conservative Christian makes individuals more vulnerable to such propaganda?

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2011/07/14 ... americans/

The article goes into detail to explain the 14 points.

1. Panic Mongering.

2. Character Assassination/Ad Hominem.

3. Projection/Flipping. T

4. Rewriting History.

5. Scapegoating/Othering.

6. Conflating Violence With Power and Opposition to Violence With Weakness. T

7. Bullying.

8. Confusion.

9. Populism.

10. Invoking the Christian God.

11. Saturation.

12. Disparaging Education.

13. Guilt by Association.

14. Diversion.

I would add male sexuality to that list. The blonde women posed so that the camera can almost see up their short skirts are another manipulation technique

In debating some of these tactics with colleagues and friends, I have also noticed that the Fox viewership seems to be marked by a sort of collective personality disorder whereby the viewer feels almost as though they’ve been let into a secret society. Something about their affiliation with the network makes them feel privileged and this affinity is likely what drives the viewers to defend the network so vehemently. They seem to identify with it at a core level, because it tells them they are special and privy to something the rest of us don’t have. It’s akin to the loyalty one feels by being let into a private club or a gang. That effect is also likely to make the propaganda more powerful, because it goes mostly unquestioned.

Maybe....to the extent that fundies come from a patriarchal system where they learn to do/believe what is told to them without question. Theyd be slower to recognize instances of out-and-out manipulation like panic mongering, flipping, rewriting history, scapegoating, conflation of violence with power, saturation, diversion, bullying and confusion; and loathe to believe that they spring from anything other than an objective look at world events. The rest I don't consider manipulation techniques so much as just lies, but yes, they are lies (populism, the ebil edukashun, etc.) that a population like fundies are willing to believe.

Archived