IGNORED

Prepping, it's not just for Fundies anymore...

Wolfie

Jewish people can also take part..... jewishpreppers.com/

Found in this list thetruthwins.com/archives/rise-of-the-preppers-50-of-the-best-prepper-websites-and-blogs-on-the-internet

(and since some will start to say "I think it's good to have food and water on hand for emergencies." Well, I do too, these aren't that kind of prepper. These are the keep an arsenal of guns and several years worth of food on hand types.)

Jewish people can also take part..... jewishpreppers.com/

Found in this list thetruthwins.com/archives/rise-of-the-preppers-50-of-the-best-prepper-websites-and-blogs-on-the-internet

(and since some will start to say "I think it's good to have food and water on hand for emergencies." Well, I do too, these aren't that kind of prepper. These are the keep an arsenal of guns and several years worth of food on hand types.)

That guy really brings the batshit. I have read his various blogs in fascinated revulsion for the amount of sheer idiocy that he and his slobbering acolytes post.

His other two blogs are: theeconomiccollapse.com and endoftheamericandream.com

They're very heavy on the prepping and God fest, with a frequent dose of MRA. Check out his recent post on the "American Dream" blog about how wimmenz are the downfall of our society: endoftheamericandream.com/archives/25-signs-american-women-are-being-destroyed-by-the-sexual-revolution-and-our-promiscuous-culture :roll:

Q. Who Runs Jewish Preppers?

A. Jewish Preppers is run by Josh Wander. Josh received his degree in Talmudic law with honors from a rabbinical college in Jerusalem. For the past 25 years, he has lived in Pennsylvania, where he began the Jewish Preppers movement. Josh has served as a commander in the IDF and as an officer in the US Air Force aux. After leaving the Air Force, Josh earned his Master’s degree in public and International affairs from the University of Pittsburgh.

This doesn't sound vague at all . . .

Here's his twitter:

twitter.com/votewander

His Doomsday Preppers profile:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... sh-wander/

I have to admit, I love the trainwreck factor of Doomsday PReppers. I'm not sure which is my favorite yet, the gal in Washington or the guy who broke it to his poor immigrant fiance that he was a crazy prepper person and took her camping apparently for their first vacation together. :P

I have to admit, I love the trainwreck factor of Doomsday PReppers. I'm not sure which is my favorite yet, the gal in Washington or the guy who broke it to his poor immigrant fiance that he was a crazy prepper person and took her camping apparently for their first vacation together. :P

That episode was hilarious ! The look on her face when he started telling her all his survival plans was priceless. And the poor woman had just gotten off a really long flight to a strange country when she was hit with the crazy :shock:

"Kosher Gourmet Food - 25 year shelf-life". That sounds disgusting :lol:

My husband is a bit of a prepper-lite. He's pretty rational about it though. No guns, just extra food and home supplies. There's a lot of beans and pulses and canned food in our pantry. It's good though because he's self-employed, so if our income nosedives, we can survive on our food for about 6 months.

And if the worst happens these folks will only last a little longer than the rest of us. Then what? That to me is the flaw in being a prepper. This is not by design but my pantry and fridge are mostly full of spices, sauces, and ingredients to make other stuff. I only have enough garbanzos to make hummis. Without electricity the fridge and freezer stuff would go bad. How far would 1 tank of propane get me on the BBQ? My kids always said there is nothing to eat here!

That episode was hilarious ! The look on her face when he started telling her all his survival plans was priceless. And the poor woman had just gotten off a really long flight to a strange country when she was hit with the crazy :shock:

Yes! That poor woman. I wanted to send her cookies and promise not all people who like RV camping are crazy, I swear.

I kind of agree with Soldier Of The One's hubby though- I'm a freelancer and I try and have food on hand in case I get sick and can't work for a month or two, but it's all stuff I use anyway and it does all fit in the kitchen cabinets (except for the dog food, I can't lift a 40# bag up into those cabinets, and Mr Bad Akita Mutt would help himself if it wasn't stored behind a securely latched door).

A guy I met on match last year turned out to be a prepper. He lives about 45 miles from me in the NC mountains. We ended up never meeting in real life, & he just sort of faded away, but over a few weeks worth of emails, texts & phone conversations, he never mentioned anything about it. I googled his name & the only thing that came up were his posts on a scary prepper forum. He seemed really into it.

Another bullet dodged!

Prepping only works in two ways, I think: either you're a soft prepper (like my hubby and I are) or you're truly and utterly self-sufficient. Anything in between is bogus.

Soft preppers (is that even a term?) are great in personal mini-crisis. Suppose our incomes would crash: we'd have enough money to pay the bills and could virtually slash all food expenses for about 6 months. We would still have to use electricity, gas and utilities so, no, that kind of prepping doesn't work in the Zombie Apocalypse. But it would make a difference between 'coasting' for a few months or tearing out your hair in anxiety because your cupboards are bare. We have everything in doubles (at minimum): shampoo, detergent, cleaning agents. The kind of stuff you actually want to cut costs on if things get tight. But if TEOTWAWKI would happen, we'd be screwed alongside the rest of humanity.

Then, there's hardcore prepping: going offgrid, growing your own food (and not just a pretty vegetable plot) and living in the outback. Yes, in TEOTWAWKI, you'd probably be OK. But only if you have a truly independent water and food supply, enough protection (or isolation) against predators and desperate human beings. But prepping up to that degree cuts you off from the rest of civilization and makes your life miserable.

Anything in between (like this 'half-preppers' who just stock up guns) is silliness. Your best bet? Invest in a wide and strong social circle. Befriend your neighbors, stay close to loved ones, build communal solidarity, build relationships. That's the stuff that might save you in the Zombie Apocalypse. Not your bloody assault rifle!

Prepping only works in two ways, I think: either you're a soft prepper (like my hubby and I are) or you're truly and utterly self-sufficient. Anything in between is bogus.

Soft preppers (is that even a term?) are great in personal mini-crisis. Suppose our incomes would crash: we'd have enough money to pay the bills and could virtually slash all food expenses for about 6 months. We would still have to use electricity, gas and utilities so, no, that kind of prepping doesn't work in the Zombie Apocalypse. But it would make a difference between 'coasting' for a few months or tearing out your hair in anxiety because your cupboards are bare. We have everything in doubles (at minimum): shampoo, detergent, cleaning agents. The kind of stuff you actually want to cut costs on if things get tight. But if TEOTWAWKI would happen, we'd be screwed alongside the rest of humanity.

Then, there's hardcore prepping: going offgrid, growing your own food (and not just a pretty vegetable plot) and living in the outback. Yes, in TEOTWAWKI, you'd probably be OK. But only if you have a truly independent water and food supply, enough protection (or isolation) against predators and desperate human beings. But prepping up to that degree cuts you off from the rest of civilization and makes your life miserable.

Anything in between (like this 'half-preppers' who just stock up guns) is silliness. Your best bet? Invest in a wide and strong social circle. Befriend your neighbors, stay close to loved ones, build communal solidarity, build relationships. That's the stuff that might save you in the Zombie Apocalypse. Not your bloody assault rifle!

I think that what you term as a "soft prepper" is a smart thing. To me that includes having food and supplies on hand if there is a localized disaster or a financial disaster. I've lived in places where floods or earthquakes happen, and now where I can be snowed in for a couple days. You keep stuff on hand for those situations. It's just smart.

But the ones I find crazy are the ones who seem to think that the the world will end, especially the ones who think that everybody will start killing each other. Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I can't imagine after the initial shock, that people won't pull together and help each other out. And if it really is as bad as they imagine, why do you want to survive it. It's almost like a very expensive roll playing game for many of them. They come up with all of these potential situations and then get what they think will help them to survive. And the amount of stress they must be living with, I just can't imagine. It can't be healthy.

Exactly. Your survival rates are not all that dependent on what you do as an individual but what happens collectively to society if there is a crisis, disaster or breakdown. You can have an arsenal of guns in your home, but if the mob comes for you... then your guns will only incite more violence. Your best bet is to stick together and work together.

There's something fallacious about the logic of these hardcore preppers: why prep if it is pointless? If a disaster of that magnitude happens, little amount of prepping will help. You're better off living a happy, fulfilling life and working towards bending the arc of history to social justice. Your best insurance policy against social meltdown? A democratic and egalitarian society with equal opportunity for all. Ah, now that's something you'd never hear them talk about!

I can kind of understand Jewish people being into something like prepping if they are the child or even grandchild of people who were in Europe during the 30s & 40s. Living in that kind of fear could certainly make you have some defensive habits that might be passed on to your children. At least there is a tangible reason for the paranoia.

I can kind of understand Jewish people being into something like prepping if they are the child or even grandchild of people who were in Europe during the 30s & 40s. Living in that kind of fear could certainly make you have some defensive habits that might be passed on to your children. At least there is a tangible reason for the paranoia.

I don't. The people who survived didn't survive because they were all alone in a bunker with guns. The ones who survived were the ones who built a network of people to help each other.

(I am not Jewish, but I had extra grandparents who were, so we had the stories of people who had disappeared during the Holocaust from a very young age. I also have an aquantance who has a tatoo from one of the camps. She would think that people who think that they can survive without others are crazy. Though she is the first to say to watch what the government is doing. Whoa, just googled her name and she was at Auschwitz)

Last night on CNN there was a Mormon prepper in Utah who had an underground bunker about an hour or 2 from his house. Complete with food, money, gold, and weapons. He believed we were in the end times and God would give him enough warning to get there where he would ride things out with his family and then they would be the ones to restart civlization with the other surviving preppers of course.

I think a great deal of hardcore preppers want society to fail so that they can be powerful post TEOTWAWKI. They have lives where they have no power or are control freaks, etc. maybe they are hoping to be a hero or power grab. 200 years ago maybe they would have been pioneers to give themselves what they long for ... fresh start, the chance to do more with their lives, freedoms ...

I am a prepper. Not hardcore but more along the lines of making sure I can live within limited means because of my issues. So, I've spent a lot of time online with all kinds of survival types. Some are people who are using knowledge to survive with in their means. Others are crazy as all get out. There are plenty of places that I will not hang out because the people are scary.

I want to add that I was glad to see the "zombies" to hit mainstream. before i strongly thought it was an euphemism for racist and classist epitaphs.

I would have serious prepper tendencies , but they are outweighed by my far stronger "lazy" and "disorganized" tendencies.

Mine come from losing the place I lived after a major earthquake, when I had several small children dependent on me - very very scary.

So I was always wanting extra canned food, had backpacks full of changes of clothes, food, water purifier tablets, first aid supplies etc.

I freaked out before Y2K and after 9-11. Never got beyond having the very basics though - but thought about it way too much.

I guess I'd be a "soft prepper." I have supplies for about two weeks (prescriptions, clothes, toileting materials, water, food, a thumb drive of personal documents (and photocopies as well), some cash- just the basic stuff the Red Cross recommends). I'm more concerned about a house fire or an earthquake than I am about "TEOTWAWKI."

I'm a "soft prepper" as well. Living in earthquake country, I got involved in emergency preparedness classes and began prepping for "The Big One". I found that prepping feeds on itself and you can never get enough stuff. At some point I put a stop to it and stopped worrying. I have plenty of water, pet food (LOTS of pet food), some MREs and whatever else I happen to have in the house. I have lots of plastic and duct tape for covering broken windows. That's about it. I just don't want to be obsessed with prepping.

I don't even consider what I do as a soft prepping. I have enough to survive about 3 weeks without buying anything else. We have had long power outages here from storms and ice. We have propane, but also a natural gas grill so if we lose power by not gas we are ok to cook some.

And financially we always have the 12 months of expenses emergency fund.

Archived