IGNORED

Has Lady Lydia has lost it completely?

Convicted Blossom

Her daughter "Lollybeth" lives about 1.5 hours from her, I believe.

I find it pretty interesting that she posted the pictures of herself, since a while back she posted a diatribe about keeping personal information and pictures off your blog so that people wouldn't be able to make fun of you. Her blog got really boring after that for a while. I'm so glad she's back and bringing the wacky!

I READ that.The guide to trolls?

It did not cover foggy trolls :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She is still going on about the fog and her really bad fleece capes. The white fascinator hat makes it look like her head is sprouting mold.

The kinsale cloak color is just...no. She looks washed out and sunburnt at the same time.

Is it me or in the top picture Lady Lydia has, does it look like the guy is asleep or is dead? He's slouched in the chair with his head tilted back. A big no-no back then. :naughty: I also notice how the woman is sitting there and not paying attention to him.

Edited to fix a word.

I love violas, they are among my top 5 favorite flowers. I will never be able to look at them again without thinking of Lady Lydia in a bathrobe.

LL has threatened to turn her sewing 'talents' to beachwear. http://www. blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=9186456&postID=829536063032925057

..hmm. that reminds me that I was going to to a sewing series for the beach...now to think of the appropriate tea ;-)

Currently she has a spammer in the final comment on that page, too bad he included links because I'm sure LL would have been delighted with his commentary.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful items from you, man. I've consider your stuff previous to and you're

simply extremely excellent. I really like what you have

obtained right here, certainly like what you're stating and the best way by which you assert it. You make it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it smart. I can't wait to read much more from you.

That is really a wonderful site.

Her "four to tea" table looks appropriate for a playdate of 5-yo girls.

The way she was dressed for the tea was approrpiate for a tea party of 5 year olds. If I showed up for an adult party at was greeted by that, I would really be worried about the sanity of the host.

You guys, is it just me or do ALL of Lydia's DIY craft projects look like a kindergartener made them?

No, but definitely a 3rd or 4th grader. :lol:

You guys are throwing me down a rabbit hole with all this stuff! :lol: How do you find it!

I am about to take a laptop into a meeting to finish reading Lady Lydia!!

In her four at tea post....er....why is the "real fog" inside the house? Or am I dumb and that is light reflecting from the window?

A fleece draped cardigan like the original pattern to the blue...thing she made sounds like a nice, practical cover-up. Looking like a pastel fleecy ghost isn't so nice.

The thing that keeps getting me is she keeps emphasizing "cheap fleece." IME, using cheap materials just for the sake of "cheap" generally results in a garment that looks cheap and flimsy. I don't sew, so maybe this isn't true for the quilters and garment makers out there, but I do knit, and generally cheap gets you cheap. I'm not saying that expensive materials are always best; for some projects, the Red Heart Supersaver at Wal-Mart for $2.99 a skein is absolutely the best yarn for the project! But generally speaking, you get out what you put into a project.

The thing that keeps getting me is she keeps emphasizing "cheap fleece." IME, using cheap materials just for the sake of "cheap" generally results in a garment that looks cheap and flimsy. I don't sew, so maybe this isn't true for the quilters and garment makers out there, but I do knit, and generally cheap gets you cheap. I'm not saying that expensive materials are always best; for some projects, the Red Heart Supersaver at Wal-Mart for $2.99 a skein is absolutely the best yarn for the project! But generally speaking, you get out what you put into a project.

I own a Kinsale cloak. A real Kinsale cloak. It's made of French blue wool and it's fully lined. It has to weight at least ten pounds, and it's by far the warmest thing I own. If stranded outside in wintertime, I probably could survive just by curling up inside of the thing and waiting for rescue. I had it made 30 years ago, it looks new since I had the lining replaced a few years back, and I fully expect to be wearing it in another 30 years. So what's the difference between my cloak and Lady Lydia's? Mine cost much, much more than $12. ;)

With sewing materials you get out what you put into it. If it were a mock up or something I'd wear once and then throw away I'd go with the cheap stuff. Anything I intended to wear or use for a display I'd buy the higher quality stuff and pay the extra money to get it.

I own a Kinsale cloak. A real Kinsale cloak. It's made of French blue wool and it's fully lined. It has to weight at least ten pounds, and it's by far the warmest thing I own. If stranded outside in wintertime, I probably could survive just by curling up inside of the thing and waiting for rescue. I had it made 30 years ago, it looks new since I had the lining replaced a few years back, and I fully expect to be wearing it in another 30 years. So what's the difference between my cloak and Lady Lydia's? Mine cost much, much more than $12. ;)

Nice! I want a Kinsale cloak!

With sewing materials you get out what you put into it. If it were a mock up or something I'd wear once and then throw away I'd go with the cheap stuff. Anything I intended to wear or use for a display I'd buy the higher quality stuff and pay the extra money to get it.

I just finished a wrap made out of organic merino wool. The materials cost an ungodly amount of money and it took months to complete, but the finished project is so beautiful and so warm, I've worn it every day. I figure it'll amortize over time :lol: , and it's something I can pass along to a future loved one. Perhaps I shouldn't have paid as much as I did for the wool, but the pleasure I had in working with the beautiful yarn and the lovely results have more than paid off as far as I'm concerned. Lydia never seems to understand that in just a couple of years her dresses and cloaks made of cheap fabric will be in tatters, despite the fact that she seems to be a good seamstress, and as much as she prattles on about heirlooms and such, you'd think she'd invest in quality materials for some items.

In her four at tea post....er....why is the "real fog" inside the house? Or am I dumb and that is light reflecting from the window?

She's photoshopping fog into her photos. I especially like the ones where there's a hole in the middle for the object of focus.

I can't wait to see some cheap fleece swimsuits!

I just finished a wrap made out of organic merino wool. The materials cost an ungodly amount of money and it took months to complete, but the finished project is so beautiful and so warm, I've worn it every day. I figure it'll amortize over time :lol: , and it's something I can pass along to a future loved one. Perhaps I shouldn't have paid as much as I did for the wool, but the pleasure I had in working with the beautiful yarn and the lovely results have more than paid off as far as I'm concerned. Lydia never seems to understand that in just a couple of years her dresses and cloaks made of cheap fabric will be in tatters, despite the fact that she seems to be a good seamstress, and as much as she prattles on about heirlooms and such, you'd think she'd invest in quality materials for some items.[/quote]

Bolding mine.

You would think so. When I was first taking quilting classes the instructor held up an old quilt from the 1930's and had people guess what types of fabrics were used for what parts of the quilt. She said all the pieces that were shredded and coming apart were made from cheap fabrics. Anything that still looked sturdy and intact were made from high quality fabric.

Before mom died she always bought good quality yarn for her crochet projects. I still have a blanket she made shortly after I was born and it's still in good condition because she used good quality yarn.

I like the idea of heirloom pieces, but if you're going to do that, make sure you get good quality materials.

The way she was dressed for the tea was approrpiate for a tea party of 5 year olds. If I showed up for an adult party at was greeted by that, I would really be worried about the sanity of the host.

Right? If I showed up for a party and was greeted with that, I would be internally preparing myself for the host to sing 'I've Written a Letter to Daddy.' She is on some straight up Baby Jane shit.

Um, Fog, okay.

If she is fogbound, how is she getting out to get these things. Oh, yeah, fog usually only happens for a few hours in the morning. (from somebody who grew up where it can be so foggy in the morning that there are accidents so bad that they have to close a stretch of highway for days, and don't identify all the victims for months.)

ETA- in the valley in California, there are days you can't see the house on the other side of your driveway, much less headlights on a "distant highway."

Climate change. When I was a kid there was thick fog most mornings , often into the afternoon. Now it is much less frequent. Does she believe in climate change ?

Climate change. When I was a kid there was thick fog most mornings , often into the afternoon. Now it is much less frequent. Does she believe in climate change ?

no, she finds the data to still be too foggy... :)

You guys, is it just me or do ALL of Lydia's DIY craft projects look like a kindergartener made them?

You think?

homeliving.blogspot.se/2012/07/more-hand-made-picnic-baskets-from.html

homeliving.blogspot.se/2012/03/little-altered-box.html

homeliving.blogspot.se/2012/02/pretty-pink-altered-box.html

homeliving.blogspot.se/2009/01/another-box.html

:)

I just finished a wrap made out of organic merino wool. The materials cost an ungodly amount of money and it took months to complete, but the finished project is so beautiful and so warm, I've worn it every day. I figure it'll amortize over time :lol: , and it's something I can pass along to a future loved one. Perhaps I shouldn't have paid as much as I did for the wool, but the pleasure I had in working with the beautiful yarn and the lovely results have more than paid off as far as I'm concerned. Lydia never seems to understand that in just a couple of years her dresses and cloaks made of cheap fabric will be in tatters, despite the fact that she seems to be a good seamstress, and as much as she prattles on about heirlooms and such, you'd think she'd invest in quality materials for some items.

Those various tea services are cheap as hell. I have never understood buying more cheap stuff rather than fewer nicer items.

Nice! I want a Kinsale cloak!

Maybe the bolded is what she's doing. She does seem to keep churning out the hideous stuff.

There's a lot of moisture and fog in the air outside today. All the moisture is making my knuckles swell and hurt. I'm not feeling like tea.

White now is suggested to symbolize the happiness of the bride now rather than the state of her virginity. If I remember correctly blue used to symbolize the color of purity before white became popular.

The state of someone's "purity" is nobody's business so kindly keep your rules off my and everyone else's bodies.

Anyway, white didn't symbolize "purity" (sic!) in the first place; it was a visible sign that the bride's family were filthy stinking rich. All-white dresses were wildly impractical in the days when all laundry was done by hand. So buying yards and yards of white satin and tulle and lace showed that you were so rich that you could outfit the bride in a dress that would never be worn again. Adding lots of piping, lace inserts, etc., and an extravagant train served the same purpose. Queen Victoria kicked off the style at her wedding in 1840, and by the late 1860s it had crossed the Atlantic to be featured in aspirational magazines like Harper's Bazar, which showcased an elegant, timeless bridal gown next to an overfurbished, fussy gown on its first cover, both white. (The fussy gown was more stylish; indeed gowns in subsequent issues were even fussier.) The style filtered downward as new methods of cloth manufacture and shipping made an all-white dress increasingly affordable, but poorer families continued the old tradition of either getting married in one's best or making a nice dress that could be reused for a long time. When Laura Ingalls married in 1885, she wore a nice new black dress. She wasn't in mourning; it was just practical.

AFAICT, the white-for-purity urban legend got started about the time when everybody could make, buy, or rent a white gown. It ended up in etiquette books, but it's still wrong.

Archived