IGNORED

Arkansas Fetal Heartbeat Bill - Be afraid!

Buzzard

And now Alabama is starting in on the crazy. Basically the same regulations as Mississippi :(

One of the bill’s requirements is that abortion clinics have a doctor present who has approval to admit patients to a local hospital so the physician can provide follow-up care. Currently, clinics can use traveling doctors to perform abortions, provided the clinics contract with a physician who has admitting privileges at a local hospital to provide follow-up care. Another requirement would establish stricter building standards. Opponents say the legislation is designed to close most of Alabama’s five abortion clinics.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... inic-regs/ (not breaking for news site)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure it will take effect tomorrow - and the ACLU will likely file before COB. Shame on you, Arkansas. :naughty:

In the words of Rachel Maddow, I hope Joshie likes bonfires fueled with taxpayer money.

I missed that the Senate override was yesterday . . . so it is now law and the ACLU will file suit.

If both chambers passed it then I do believe it becomes law once its filed. It has an immediate effective date so I'm guessing it will be law tomorrow (although someone check my arkansas law veto procedures - cant google right now).

When I receive my stipend from my brother I'll send ACLU of AR $5. Not a lot, but it's what I can do.

They are saying it's not going into effect for at least 90 days.

Sorry, who says? I thought that one of the provisions of the bill was that it was effective immediately.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/us/ar ... d=all&_r=0

The center and the American Civil Liberties Union have vowed to swiftly bring a case in federal court, aiming to head off the law before it takes effect 90 days after the legislature disbands in the next month or so.

I'll trust that the NYtimes knows arkansas law better than I do and accept that we have ~120 days before this monstrosity is on the books. I hope thats enough time for the ACLU to get a suit together.

• 2 months later...

Looks like there is a stay on enforcement of the statute.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/us/ab ... tml?ref=us

But the judge, as expected by many legal experts, agreed with the challengers’ statement that “the U.S. Supreme Court has held unequivocally that a state may not ban abortion prior to viability.â€

State Senator Jason Rapert, the author of the 12-week ban, said Friday that he was “obviously disappointed†by the injunction. He said he hoped the court, before making a final decision, would allow new arguments and evidence from a coalition of conservative legal groups.

Someone needs to send Rapert back to senator school. Arguments from "a coalition of conservative legal groups" isnt the way to overturn settled law.

edited to add the developments.

Archived