IGNORED

Gil & Kally Bates: 25th anniversary-A dream come true

0 kids n not countin

I'm kind of hoping they did bring and wear more beach-like clothing, but just did not take any photos wearing them. A lot of fundy women wear pants for certain activities but just don't photograph themselves wearing ungodly pants. Why exactly can't the public see Gil's calves? Bet they are REALLY white!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't Molokai a former leper colony?

It had a leper colony but most moved away or died. There are like 7 old people still living there but that part of the island is not where the tourists and locals are.

I don't begrudge the Bates this trip, because I do think that couples getting away every now and then is important.

HOWEVER, if you consistently have to borrow from your children just to make ends meet, maybe $600+ a person is too much to spend on a trip. Take a trip, sure. But maybe take a more modest one that costs $200 a person and use that extra money to feed your children.

Look, there are plenty of people that DON'T have eleventy billion kids BECAUSE they want to be able to take trips to Hawaii. And then there are people who recognize that if you have that many kids, you sacrifice large trips. It's about choices. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Most couples don't take huge trips for their 25th anniversaries because they can't afford it. AND IF YOU BORROW FROM YOUR KIDS TO MAKE ENDS MEET, YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT.

The Bates may be charismatic, but they live an incredibly selfish lifestyle. They depend on their older girls to help raise their children. They depend on their older boys to help make ends meet. Everything is about THEM and THEIR marriage, even though their adult children should start having lives that are their own. And taking a trip like this is incredibly selfish when they aren't even financially self-sufficient.

Maybe some couples could afford to go to Hawaii (or some other place nice), but they are saving their money so their kids can go to college.

That's how I felt too. When I saw the picture the first thing I noticed was that they looked happy and sort-of peaceful.

I have so many problems with them and how they conduct their lives but... I can't help but to feel sort-of happy for them in this picture. :oops:

I'm not happy for them at all. I am sorry for the children they have brought into this world that they expect to bank roll them until Gil's payday. I am sorry for the doctors that they pay in cookies, and the people that feel obligated to give their super special family shit, because it's easier to do that than to watch their umpteen dozen kids go without. I am sorry for the gullible people who see their story (kazillion kids= free trips and house remodel!), and then try it themselves only to find out that real life doesn't usually work that way. The Bates family just happens to know some fame whores and got "lucky" enough to ride on their coattails a bit. I am sorry that they continue to have kids without a thought to the risks they are taking for Kelly, her existing kids, and her potential child.

I am doubly sorry that their behavior is endorsed by things like this. In their minds this is God's way of rewarding them for a job well done. I can think of a million people I'd have rather seen get a trip to Hawaii. Gil needs to take that money he spent and put it in the damn bank...maybe he wouldn't have to go to Lawson all the time if he did that.

**wanders off muttering about ridiculous people being sheltered from the consequences of their ridiculous choices**

I don't begrudge the Bates this trip, because I do think that couples getting away every now and then is important.

HOWEVER, if you consistently have to borrow from your children just to make ends meet, maybe $600+ a person is too much to spend on a trip. Take a trip, sure. But maybe take a more modest one that costs $200 a person and use that extra money to feed your children.

Look, there are plenty of people that DON'T have eleventy billion kids BECAUSE they want to be able to take trips to Hawaii. And then there are people who recognize that if you have that many kids, you sacrifice large trips. It's about choices. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Most couples don't take huge trips for their 25th anniversaries because they can't afford it. AND IF YOU BORROW FROM YOUR KIDS TO MAKE ENDS MEET, YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT.

The Bates may be charismatic, but they live an incredibly selfish lifestyle. They depend on their older girls to help raise their children. They depend on their older boys to help make ends meet. Everything is about THEM and THEIR marriage, even though their adult children should start having lives that are their own. And taking a trip like this is incredibly selfish when they aren't even financially self-sufficient.

Yep. I think because the Bates may appear to be nicer, many may forget about the harmful ideas they represent. All the smiling from Gil and the sweet talk from Kelly does not negate the fact they follow the teachings of Gothard.

:clap:

I'm not happy for them at all. I am sorry for the children they have brought into this world that they expect to bank roll them until Gil's payday. I am sorry for the doctors that they pay in cookies, and the people that feel obligated to give their super special family shit, because it's easier to do that than to watch their umpteen dozen kids go without. I am sorry for the gullible people who see their story (kazillion kids= free trips and house remodel!), and then try it themselves only to find out that real life doesn't usually work that way. The Bates family just happens to know some fame whores and got "lucky" enough to ride on their coattails a bit. I am sorry that they continue to have kids without a thought to the risks they are taking for Kelly, her existing kids, and her potential child.

I am doubly sorry that their behavior is endorsed by things like this. In their minds this is God's way of rewarding them for a job well done. I can think of a million people I'd have rather seen get a trip to Hawaii. Gil needs to take that money he spent and put it in the damn bank...maybe he wouldn't have to go to Lawson all the time if he did that.

**wanders off muttering about ridiculous people being sheltered from the consequences of their ridiculous choices**

QFT!

I am mildly annoyed by matching outfits in general but couldn't they at least be in something bearable like black or white or blue? Why are their (all fundies) matching outfits always in vomit green, neon yellow, and pumpkin orange?

How convenient to the Duggars and Bates that God is able to bless their family with good fortune now, while others, even some Christians, struggle to put food on the table for their small families. :cry:

Why in the world is Gil wearing those sort of shoes on the beach?!

And dear fundie couples, please stop matching. It looks stupid.

That was my first thought as well. Add in the polo shirt and dress slacks and that had to be uncomfortable. Not to mention they both look ridiculous.

I bet Lawson had to mow a lot of lawns to cover this trip.

This is my thought too. That money he saved up should gone into being financially responsible for once like emergency savings or retirement fund. Keeping his kids chained to him financially is irresposible to the kids because it keeps them from planning their own lives. But I suppose that may be the fundie plan.

It unnerves me that many fundie types expect God to solve their money problems. Verses being proactive and not having kids you cannot afford.

What a waste. Stupid fundies who won't even show their knees. A holiday like that has NOTHING to offer to these idiots who are so modesty-obsessed and stupid. imagine going to Hawaii and not to stretch out and sunbathe and feel the warm sand on your skin with a cocktail in hand. I wonder did they even put a toe in the water. Gah I'm just so fucking jealous I suppose.

I am mildly annoyed by matching outfits in general but couldn't they at least be in something bearable like black or white or blue? Why are their (all fundies) matching outfits always in vomit green, neon yellow, and pumpkin orange?

They always do pick horrible colors to match in. Maybe they pick bright ones so that they will stand out and people will notice them? I think they like drawing attention.

Please, No way could Gilly show his *ankles*! Ya'll know all the women on the beach would have torn their eyes away from the buffed 20ish suffer dudes in their board shorts to MOB Gilly and stare at him. :shock:

What a waste. Stupid fundies who won't even show their knees. A holiday like that has NOTHING to offer to these idiots who are so modesty-obsessed and stupid. imagine going to Hawaii and not to stretch out and sunbathe and feel the warm sand on your skin with a cocktail in hand. I wonder did they even put a toe in the water. Gah I'm just so fucking jealous I suppose.

ITA, I'm trying to figure out what they actually did since all the stuff people usually do is not allowed. Sunbathing, out. Swimming, out. Walking on the beach and getting their feet wet, judging from that picture, probably out too. Drinking, out. I guess they could go shoppping and watch the sun and the waves?

I hope Chad snuck over to visit his gal while the parents were away. Sure he SAYS he's on that mission trip to South America...

Good G-d, those clothes :roll: Surely they could have found some modest clothes to wear on the beach. Gill looks out of place with that polo, pleated pants, and those shoes.

Anyway, they look happy and content. Even though I disagree with them on most things, I wish them well.

I sometimes wonder if they were the hideous colors because those are what are left on the sale rack.

ITA, I'm trying to figure out what they actually did since all the stuff people usually do is not allowed. Sunbathing, out. Swimming, out. Walking on the beach and getting their feet wet, judging from that picture, probably out too. Drinking, out. I guess they could go shoppping and watch the sun and the waves?

Can"t watch the sun set or the waves 'cause there could be people dressed in a defrauding manner on the beach. No luaus either or surfing! I guess they could tour a pineapple farm, visit churches, buy a colorful shirt and try poi. Kind of sad the true beauty of the islands may be missed on them. Or just maybe; they will throw caution to the wind and surprise us all!

Why must it be Nah, nah, nah. The Lord loves us more than he loves you. It would be far simpler to write We went to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary but no, the fundies must continually go one better than everyone else.

Why did they go to an island with so few conversion opportunities? Or maybe...maybe they didn't. For all we know they are standing on Waikiki surrounded by defrauding holiday makers.

It had a leper colony but most moved away or died. There are like 7 old people still living there but that part of the island is not where the tourists and locals are.

for brief moment, i was hoping it was still a leper colony and they might become infected. then, as per the norm, they will have a new illness to contaminate the duggars with when they visit.

the show could be renamed "19 kids and counting backwards' as everybody starts losing body parts.

Archived